Anywhere for a LONG run?

KatieBug28

Hoping some of my fellow runners can help me out with this question!

We're sailing on the Miracle Oct. 10-17. I'm trying to train for a Halloween time half marathon later that month, so I'm going to need to do some training during our cruise. Most days won't be huge, but I will need to get in one 14 mile run either during the cruise or the day we fly home (depending on how I set up my training schedule).

So, any distance runners out there have experience with this? Is there a good place to do a long run on the ship? That seems like a LOT of times around the track and would get pretty boring. I also don't want to take out that much time from our trip (I'm super slow).

One idea I had was to schedule the long run on embarkation day. We have FTTF, so I could theoretically just hop on the ship and head up to the sports deck and spend a couple of hours up there. Is the sports deck open for running on embarkation day? Or maybe the gym? Is that open and do they have tread mills?

I'd also love any advice you guys may have about not bugging fellow runners while on board. I've never run on the ship's track before, but it sounds really nice for shorter runs!

I ran my laps on the promenade outer deck.

The best kept secret on the ship is the outside promenade on the Atlantic deck. It wrapped around the ship from Great Gatsby’s on the port side to the aft and back to the starboard side of Great Gatsby’s which was about 2/3 of the ship. For my 5k runs, I only had to make 6 laps (port to starboard and back to port) on this deck compared to 48 laps on the sports deck where I had to dodge people playing mini golf or just walking around.

Just off the Pride which is a sister ship.

Found deck 10 is a great place to do long walks/runs early in the morning when the sun is rising. 3x around is a mile.

Nobody is there and can go as fast/slow as you want.

Agree with LMG about deck 10 on the Pride. It goes all the way around the ship with no stairs to climb.

I try to walk deck 10 on each of the ships since it is much longer than the track; usually at least twice as long. However, on most of the ships doing this on deck 10 you have to deal with a small set of stairs (3 steps) midships. And do it early in the morning or after the first dinner starts. You will have the deck pretty much to yourself.

Although 14 miles on a treadmill would be a drag, I can't imagine running that many miles on deck with the constant dodging of people. I would definitely go for the treadmill. The temperature will be a lot more comfortable too.

I've ran 13 miles on a treadmill and wasn't the best time, but doable. I've also ran on the track by the smokestack and it's probably worse. My vote goes for deck 10.

Edited by cmptrwiz

OP here. Thanks for the replies everyone!

I will definitely check out Deck 10 and see if that works, at least for the shorter maintenance runs through the week. Sounds like the treadmill may be my best option for the 14 miler. I can't imagine how many times I'd have to run around the little track! And I hadn't thought about it being made of steel, that is a really good point. Thank you all so much for your help!

One more follow up question: is the gym open on embarkation day? I'd love to get in, pound out the run in a couple of hours and then be done and not have to worry about it for the rest of the trip. I'm going to try to work it so I can actually do it the day before we sail, but depending on flights and everything, that might be tough.

I'm curious about the distance. Shouldn't you be starting your taper around that time?

Also, why are you running a distance longer than the race you're training for? I don't mean that to sound bad, as I'm genuinely curious about the training plan you are following, because for any of my marathons or half marathons, I'd run close to the distance, but never the actual race distance, because then I would have run a half marathon as a training run, so the actual race would just be a taper run, in my mind it doesn't compute.

Finally, supposedly there's a time limit on the treadmills, right? Be mindful of that. I did a long run on the sports deck and dodging mini-golfers and people just wandering around was horrible.

Good luck!

The track on most ships is either 9 or 10 laps to a mile. So you would be doing a LOT of laps. Also, if you really want to do it with minimal hazards (other people), do it either early in the morning (before sunrise) or after 6pm which is early seating.

Not sure about your ports, but why not map out a run on one of your port days in the destination? I think that would be the most pleasant, not to mention give you some of the best scenery!

I've been on a lot of cruises with runners who will head out as soon as we dock (or tender), go for their run, come back and shower and change, or meet the rest of the group at the beach, etc.

I agree with Deck 10; and the earlier the better. My wife and I walk every morning at about the same time. There are few people on deck in the early AM (and fewer still as the cruise progresses... :<) ) and you get to know the ones that are out. By day 2 you know who runs fast, walks slow, etc. and therefore you can help stay clear of the faster folks and know you may have to detour for the slower ones...

I did 9 one early morning on Liberty OTS (RCCL) while we were docking/docked at RCCL's private island. But I think that LOTS has a rubberized track. It was pretty weird with the wind and it was boring but I did it. The best part of it was every time I ran by this one set of automatic doors, they would open and spew cold air on me. I also did a 10k sailaway out of Miami once from a rear-facing treadmill that was pretty epic.

I am training for a fall marathon, so i imagine I will do a few miles on deck 10 in july...

As to "who trains for a marathon on a cruise..." Runners are addicts.

I'm curious about the distance. Shouldn't you be starting your taper around that time?

Also, why are you running a distance longer than the race you're training for? I don't mean that to sound bad, as I'm genuinely curious about the training plan you are following, because for any of my marathons or half marathons, I'd run close to the distance, but never the actual race distance, because then I would have run a half marathon as a training run, so the actual race would just be a taper run, in my mind it doesn't compute.

Finally, supposedly there's a time limit on the treadmills, right? Be mindful of that. I did a long run on the sports deck and dodging mini-golfers and people just wandering around was horrible.

Good luck!

I think having the actual race as a taper run is the idea, but I'm not totally sure. I'm doing a new training plan with a friend, and it has me doing a 14 mile run on the 10th, then doing the actual race on the 24th, with two weeks of post-race taper. So we'll see how it goes!

I hadn't thought about a time limit on the treadmill! I will have to look into that. If anyone has more info on that I'd love to hear it. Any idea of how long? Will they let you stay on if no one is waiting?

Is there no port where you could run? That seems to be the better option!

We do have 3 port days, but I'm going with extended family and my two DDs, and I want to maximize our port time as a family. We have a lot of activities planned, so I'd rather do the run on a sea day where I'm not missing a family activity.

There was a sign posted in the gym on the Carnival Dream that requested guests to limit treadmill (or machines?) usage to 30 minutes during busy times (something to that effect). When I ran on the treadmills, they were never totally full so I don't think the 30-minute time limit came into play; it could depend on when you are in the gym.

I have run in port when I had time before or after activities. I have also run on the ship while underway and while in port. For "shorter" runs, running on the ship while in port is okay.

Running while underway is a pain due to wind created by ship speed, dodging people and rocking of the ship. I think the track on the Dream was 7-laps per mile (pretty long compared to many) but my experience on the track is that people will mill about the track; these are folks that aren't using it for a workout. Also, walkers using the track will sometimes walk side-by-side and make it difficult to pass.

I think the treadmill is the best bet. I try to pick out one in the coolest spot I can find. I have not run during really rough seas but have been able to run with some rocking of the ship without any trouble. Half the time I forget my headphones and even worse, I forget to grab a sweat towel before getting on the treadmill. I have a rough time convincing myself to stop running for few seconds to retrieve one.:rolleyes:

On our Valor cruise there was a 20 minute max on the treadmills (they actually shut off after 20 min). But after my first 20 minutes and a quick look around to see nobody waiting, I reset it for another 20. I was only marginally running back then so 40 minutes was enough for me.

Just off the Breeze and I was fully expecting to see the same limit. But nothing was posted and the treadmill kept running as long as I wanted it too. :)

And although it crossed my mind, I didn't want to be the one to intrude on your training plan, because who am I to say... I'm still a novice myself. But since someone else mentioned it, and you seem open to discussion... of all the training plans I looked at when I was training for the 1/2 marathon, I don't recall any of them exceeding the 1/2 marathon distance. So I too thought it a little odd for the need to get a 14 mile run in. But to each his/her own and more power to you!! (However, all the training plans I looked at were for novice/intermediates, so perhaps that has something to do with it).

In any case, have an awesome cruise and best of luck with your race!