Honest Question Re: Ship Staffing

ellieanne

I think that in Alaska--particularly the inside passage--it can make a difference on who the Master of the Vessel is. Some do not like to keep it inside and so from the time you leave the shelter of Vancouver Island, one is on the High Sea. There is a certain Captain who keeps the ship inside as much as possible--where the scenery is gorgeous--and the ship gets to the destination on time. Others just love that high sea. I always go with the captain who tries to keep the ship inside.

Don't much like the sound of that. Surely if you book and pay for "inside passage" that is what you should get weather permitting?

As regards the poor cruise directors, complaints in the right direction from disgruntled passengers wouldn't go astray, I'm sure Hal wants their passengers to be happy with their cruise.

Thanks for answering everyone.

I've never taken much notice aside from being overjoyed to be on the ship with Captain Mercer, though I'd never pick a cruise for the captain alone.

The best cruise director I've ever had was on the old (now defunct) Commodore Cruise Line -- he was great and I would be very happily surprised to be sailing with him again.

Other than that I have never really paid attention to the staff.

If we are speaking of the same DH (Hotel Director), my late DH (not Hotel Director) and I were very fond of him. When one got to know him just a little, they found a very caring, very interesting and experienced, funny as all get out gentleman. We were so sorry when he left HAL and missed him. He has a fabulous sense of humor..... guess he needed it. :eek:

If we are talking about the same person and I think we are, I won't dispute what you found talking to him in person.

The thing is we all don't do that. We just get the result of the management skills and the morale of the staff.

Most times it is a non issue to me who the key people are. I learned the hard way.

Most times you don't notice. But when you have someone who is really GOOD, it makes a huge difference.

When they are BAD it makes the cruise take a downward spiral.

I don't cruise to be "friends" with officers or staff. I just want decent service.

If I happen to have a dinner with one or meet up with one, it is always fun, but it's the overall result on a cruise I am looking for.

What I have found is that those that were good Captains, good HD's or good CD's were outright charming people. Their first concern was the passengers and the ship. That's the way it should be IMO.

edited to say - we don't do 7 day cruises, but rarely - we do 14 minimum and usually 20 - 34 day cruises. so, yes, it makes a difference.

Edited by kazu

Slightly off-topic, but...

Personally, as someone wearing 4 stripes, my personal priorities are the following, in order of importance:

1) SAFETY of the Passengers and Crew

Because this is the core of our job.

2) WELLBEING of the Crew

Because only a happy, healthy crew can provide the service and safety our passengers deserve.

3) SERVICE to the Passengers

As they are the reason the company exists.

4) ECONOMICS of the Operation.

As profit leads to job security and progression.

I think this also goes for my Colleagues with HAL, wether Marine or Hotel ops.

In my experience, changing this order is a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes, guests might see some decisions made by Senior Officers as inappropriate, however, guests do not always get the complete picture of the situation.

However, There is NEVER an excuse for rudeness.

Personally, as someone wearing 4 stripes, my personal priorities are the following, in order of importance:

2) WELLBEING of the Crew

Because only a happy, healthy crew can provide the service and safety our passengers deserve.

Sometimes, guests might see some decisions made by Senior Officers as inappropriate, however, guests do not always get the complete picture of the situation.

totally agree with the order of priorities :) and the last comment :)

2) WELLBEING of the Crew

The cruise industry needs more of you! I'm sorry I don't know your specific position/company but I hope I can credit a past great (or future) cruise to you and your mindset!