Honest Question Re: Ship Staffing

ellieanne

Does it really matter who the Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, etc. are for the cruise?

Would you actually cancel the cruise over who was in charge of the ship?

I understand how it's nice to know, but does it really make that much of a difference before you board?

I don't know if I would cancel, since between final payment and sailing a lot can happen.

But yes, it makes a distinct difference who is in senior staff positions. They set a tone for the rest of the crew/staff, and it's noticeable when the better ones are aboard.

Yes, It does matter if a Captain, Hotel Manager, Chief Engineer, GRM etc happen to be aboard a cruise I've booked. I don't think I would cancel a cruise if someone I knew well was not in the crew but I might opt for one cruise over another because they were there. It's like friends anywhere. We hope to see each other whenever possible. I know better than to book a cruise only because a friend might be aboard as assignments can change in the blink of an eye but I'm always very happy to learn I'll get to see a friend I may not have seen for a while.

Senior Staff definitely makes a difference in the mood aboard a ship, the contentment of the crew, the efficiency of the ship.......

Edited by sail7seas

We just had this thread, I swear.

Yes it matters, there is a hotel director we will never sail with again. There is a captain we'd go out of our way with sailing again.

I don't know if I would cancel, since between final payment and sailing a lot can happen.

But yes, it makes a distinct difference who is in senior staff positions. They set a tone for the rest of the crew/staff, and it's noticeable when the better ones are aboard.

ditto. when you have good ones on board, it makes a HUGE difference.

I don't ask for that reason, but now that I am getting older (oops, did I say that) and wiser, yes, it could make a difference.

I have had one bad one and I would have to think twice about being on a 30 day cruise with them in charge.

On the good side, all of my longer cruises (30 days +) have had great captains and great HD's - long may the trend continue :)

Does it really matter who the Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, etc. are for the cruise?

I understand how it's nice to know, but does it really make that much of a difference before you board?

Not to me.

I can honestly say that if it was prior to final and it was a cruise we chose because of a particular Officer and I found out they would not be on board yes I may cancel. Oddly this is only the case with HAL :o While I know a few Officers on NCL with them I choose strictly for itinerary and ship. They tend to be extremely consistent for service, crew and food from ship to ship, where it can be night and day difference with HAL based on the who the Management is on each ship.

On our last cruise HAL tried to persuade us to move to another ship because of an over booked situation and I joked not unless they can move a particular Officer to another ship :D

On the good side, all of my longer cruises (30 days +) have had great captains and great HD's - long may the trend continue :)

Unfortunately for me, our cruise with the CD from 'you know where' was 30 days +. We basically stayed in our cabin. On sea days we basically only came out to eat and pre-dinner drinks with friends. He was THAT bad. :eek:

Our next HAL cruise is even longer....

I can't imagine what a CD could do to make it preferable to you that you remain in your cabin. I certainly don't doubt you but feel bad to hear that happened to anyone. You are experienced travelers/cruisers so that makes it the more remarkable. You've referred to this before and wonder if you would share a few hints as to what this CD did that was so objectionable....... perhaps they should be reconsidered in terms of contract renewal?

I can't imagine what a CD could do to make it preferable to you that you remain in your cabin. I certainly don't doubt you but feel bad to hear that happened to anyone. You are experienced travelers/cruisers so that makes it the more remarkable. You've referred to this before and wonder if you would share a few hints as to what this CD did that was so objectionable....... perhaps they should be reconsidered in terms of contract renewal?

Same here. The ship is not that small that the CD is everyone at once. If there is someone particularly obnoxious, we just go somewhere else.

I totally agree about Captain John Scott. Which Captain Henk do you mean? We enjoyed many wonderful cruises with Captain Henk Draper. Outstanding Captain who always has a very well run ship. :)

We wouldn't pick a cruise specifically for for an officer or staff member, nor would we avoid / cancel one for the same reason. However, when you find out someone whom you like is going to be on board, you usually think, "This is going to be a great trip."

For us, it doesn't have to even be someone high ranking. We're happy to see waiters, bar staff, a Neptune concierge, room stewards we like, and so on. A lot of people on this board are big fans of the piano bar, and thrilled when they see their favorite entertainers.

It's definitely true that a good management team can make your experience better. It's like any business, really.

About day two I was thinking 'poor guy, he'll be lucky to make it to the end of his contract'. A day or so later I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't make it to the end of the cruise. Then I learned that he'd been with HAL for at least four years. I was stunned.

When talking to the HD one day I mentioned my issues with the CD. His response was a simple 'people either love him or hate him'. Management knows passengers hate him and yet he's still there. :rolleyes:

From what I saw, those of us who hate him are the vast majority. In over 30 years of cruising I've never experienced someone from the ship who was such a talking point (good or bad) among the passengers. Definitely not in such an extremely negative context. Not once did I hear anyone say they liked him or even that he was ok. Disembarking I did see a little old lady emotionally hugging the CD goodbye. So, there was at least one person on board who liked him.

In my post cruise survey I made it abundantly clear that the CD had a negative impact on my cruise. For the first time ever I marked that I would definitely not recommend a HAL cruise to others. For the reason, I simply put the CD's name.

I found it extremely poor judgement when, about 10-12 days in, the CD announced to the showroom that "A passenger named (insert name here) has complained that I'm too fun". The context in which he said it left no doubt that "too fun" wasn't a good thing in the mind of the complainer. It wasn't my name as the complaint would have been too loud, too obnoxious, plastic, a world class phony.... Still, to name a passenger in such a manner to the showroom is very inappropriate. That would deter others from making complaints about him. Interesting though that complaints were being made and he was hearing about them.

Discussion on our HAL airport transfer at the end of the cruise should have been about how good the cruise was, not about the obnoxious CD. ;)

Not one bit of difference who is staffing the ship. I do not cruise for them, I cruise for me:)

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! I just realized that there is at least one Captain I WOULD NEVER ever cruise if he was even the lowest crew member.... Captain "I fell into my life boat" Schettino!!!

Joanie

About day two I was thinking 'poor guy, he'll be lucky to make it to the end of his contract'. A day or so later I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't make it to the end of the cruise. Then I learned that he'd been with HAL for at least four years. I was stunned.

When talking to the HD one day I mentioned my issues with the CD. His response was a simple 'people either love him or hate him'. Management knows passengers hate him and yet he's still there. :rolleyes:

From what I saw, those of us who hate him are the vast majority. In over 30 years of cruising I've never experienced someone from the ship who was such a talking point (good or bad) among the passengers. Definitely not in such an extremely negative context. Not once did I hear anyone say they liked him or even that he was ok. Disembarking I did see a little old lady emotionally hugging the CD goodbye. So, there was at least one person on board who liked him.

In my post cruise survey I made it abundantly clear that the CD had a negative impact on my cruise. For the first time ever I marked that I would definitely not recommend a HAL cruise to others. For the reason, I simply put the CD's name.

I found it extremely poor judgement when, about 10-12 days in, the CD announced to the showroom that "A passenger named (insert name here) has complained that I'm too fun". The context in which he said it left no doubt that "too fun" wasn't a good thing in the mind of the complainer. It wasn't my name as the complaint would have been too loud, too obnoxious, plastic, a world class phony.... Still, to name a passenger in such a manner to the showroom is very inappropriate. That would deter others from making complaints about him. Interesting though that complaints were being made and he was hearing about them.

Discussion on our HAL airport transfer at the end of the cruise should have been about how good the cruise was, not about the obnoxious CD. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

You are absolutely right he should never have mentioned any guest by name. Inexcusable and totally unacceptable. One wonders why HAL puts up with him given how many people have complaints.

Other than some CD's we enjoyed socially, most have no impact on our cruises. We rarely get to know them and only see them out and about but we only had any real interaction with a few through the years.

[/b]

A good hotel manager can make a lot of difference in the overall operation, the maintenance, the food, and of course the crew. A few of them seem to spend an inordinate amount of time sitting in their office rather than roaming around the ship.

The really good ones are like good land based hotel managers who constantly walk around their properties noticing every small detail, complimenting crew for good work, correcting mistakes and interacting with the guests to get their feedback.

I've been on a few cruises where the most glaring failings went on week after week as if the manager never even noticed them or if he did couldn't be bothered to institute changes or repairs.

I've had great CD's and some that were absolutely awful. It's a tough job for sure but the true pros are exceptional. I suspect that most passengers prefer to be spoken to and treated like adults without a lot of the "toodle do" type nonsense that some seem to think is amusing.

I could care less about staff.....sure I'd like to meet Copper again but it isn't a priority.

I don't want a CD who BSs about disembarkation.

After dozens of cruises, I know the best way is not to listen to any of the announcements about luggage in the terminal, numbers, or colored tags.

Nobody checks them at the gangway.....most passengers get off when they want to.....leading to many who miss their city tours or prepaid airport transfers.

The colored tags or numbered tags don't mean a thing anymore as far as going down the gangway. They do help in locating you bags in the terminal.

David

Well I posted this just this afternoon:

2cents.gifworth here....

I've seen these posts where people ask who the Captain, Hotel Manager, and/or Cruise Director are on a specific ship, and always thought "what difference does it really make?".

Well on 2 recent Holland America cruises (i.e. Veendam (VoV) in 2013 and Oosterdam (36 nights Auckland to Vancouver) in 2015) I had an occasion to talk to each ship's Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam was much more "passenger focused" and much more eager to do something to actually solve the problem. In addition, I mentioned to the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam that it seemed to me that the employee morale, attitude, and service (overall; but especially in the Lido) was far superior to what I experienced on the Veendam in 2013. She thanked me for the compliment and mentioned that she tries to maintain high morale/exceptional service in part by paying the employees as much as possible. She diverts as much discretionary money as feasible into the pool of money that goes to the employees, etc. Apparently not all Hotel Managers do this.

Just sayin': I guess a good Hotel Manager can make a difference.

:)

Holland America is just like every other company, all their employees are not equal. Some are better than others. So YES having the better top managers can definitely make a difference in your cruising experience.

No I wouldn't. I book too far in advance to know who the ship's staff will be for my specific sailing. In addition, I don't keep score and really don't know who all the best managers are anyway. I've literally been on over 100 cruises and the only way that I could tell you who the Captain or Cruise Director was on any one of the cruises is to look it up on an old "daily program". I have a closet shelf stacked full of them, etc. :p

I don' t remember ever checking (before I board) as to who the senior staff is going to be. And like I said (above) I wouldn't know if he/she was any good anyway. Also, just because you had a positive or negative experience with a senior staffer doesn't necessarily mean that you would have the same experience with him/her again.

Edited by ScriptOhio

If you're going on a long cruise perhaps one might want to know who staff might be. If it's your typical 7-10 day cruise

Then you're most likely a high maintenance PITA

Who's going to spend their whole cruise wanting to meet with the Hotel Manager for every reason under the sun

Can anyone tell me who is the CD in the beginning of this video?

This is on Zuiderdam, last month.

The Ship's Cast seems very good by the way!

Edited by Despegue