First Time in Australia and NZ looking for an advice

We will be in Sydney from early Wednesday, staying 2 nights at Travelodge Wynyard, embarking our ship on the Friday. Is it ambitious to do the Blue Mountains? Is it worth seeing and forgoing a day in Sydney? Basically can we do the landmarks in Sydney on Wednesday and leave Thursday for BM? We are not sure about BM, having seen many mountains and great scenery in USA, we think maybe best to stick around Sydney and enjoy the sights at a more leisurely pace. Unless someone tells us we are missing out.....

Great question and summary on the trade-offs to consider. While we did not visit the Blue Mountains, there were so many, many other options to see BOTH in Sydney and around in other parts of both of these countries. Can't do it all!! Since you, like us, have done much in the USA and Europe with mountains and that type of nature/drama, I would probably lean toward focusing on Sydney.

For your cruise, are you planning to do the Queenstown overnight excursion? Need more info on that options and why to see the amazing interior of the South Island of New Zealand?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 200,814 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi we have booked a 15 day cruise round trip Sydney traveling around New Zealand. We will have 3 nights pre cruise and 2 post cruise and plan to book a hotel in CBD area of Sydney. I have been researching hotels and reading reviews. I have narrowed it to one hotel on George St. And another on Carrington St. Both say they are near public transportation. Looking for your thoughts about these locations. Thinking we may want to do a day trip to Hunter Valley wineries and possibly Blue Mountains visiting a nature park. Are there wine tasting opportunities in the city itself? Does this seem too ambitious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi we have booked a 15 day cruise round trip Sydney traveling around New Zealand. We will have 3 nights pre cruise and 2 post cruise and plan to book a hotel in CBD area of Sydney. I have been researching hotels and reading reviews. I have narrowed it to one hotel on George St. And another on Carrington St. Both say they are near public transportation. Looking for your thoughts about these locations. Thinking we may want to do a day trip to Hunter Valley wineries and possibly Blue Mountains visiting a nature park. Are there wine tasting opportunities in the city itself? Does this seem too ambitious?

Couple of things.

Which hotels, I think George Street is a bit noisy, and is also a long street so t is hard to know just where you will be.

Yep both near public transport all the CBD is pretty close to public transport.

Blue mountains you can get a train or a tour from the city.

Hunter Vineyards aren't very good by public transport, you would really need either a tour or a car. You can train to Newcastle and then join a booked tour.

Each of those would be a fairly full day.

I believe that the wildlife park at Darling Harbour (a walk from the CBD) isn't bad, but I've never been there. Also you could get a ferry to Taronga Zoo, a nice trip a nice day out and unless things have changed you can at least get up close to some 'roos

Couple of things.

Which hotels, I think George Street is a bit noisy, and is also a long street so t is hard to know just where you will be.

Yep both near public transport all the CBD is pretty close to public transport.

Blue mountains you can get a train or a tour from the city.

Hunter Vineyards aren't very good by public transport, you would really need either a tour or a car. You can train to Newcastle and then join a booked tour.

Each of those would be a fairly full day.

I believe that the wildlife park at Darling Harbour (a walk from the CBD) isn't bad, but I've never been there. Also you could get a ferry to Taronga Zoo, a nice trip a nice day out and unless things have changed you can at least get up close to some 'roos

The Hunter Valley is a Mecca for wine tasting. It's about a 2.5hr drive up the freeway if you are considering a rental car. Or this link could offer an alternative for organised tours. http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/hunter/hunter-valley/pokolbin/tours

The Hunter Valley is a Mecca for wine tasting. It's about a 2.5hr drive up the freeway if you are considering a rental car. Or this link could offer an alternative for organised tours. http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/hunter/hunter-valley/pokolbin/tours

Yep I live in the Hunter some great vineyards here.

Thanks for the quick responses. We are looking at the Mercure hotel and friends just stayed at the Menzies. I want a chance to touch wildlife so will check put the wild life park you mention. We make wine ourselves and my husband worked for many years on the wine business. We probably would go on a tour so we could see several wineries. We have friends who live in NZ who plan to meet us one day when we are near their town and take us wine tasting as well.

Thanks for the quick responses. We are looking at the Mercure hotel and friends just stayed at the Menzies. I want a chance to touch wildlife so will check put the wild life park you mention. We make wine ourselves and my husband worked for many years on the wine business. We probably would go on a tour so we could see several wineries. We have friends who live in NZ who plan to meet us one day when we are near their town and take us wine tasting as well.

I would NOT stay at the Menzies. Have stayed there when on business and I didn't get a choice it is above a very busy rail station and noisy is being kind.

However I have also no stayed at the Mantra in Sydney, but have in other cities and have always found them pretty good, they normally also have more of a serviced apartment setup than hotel with dining space and kitchenette (as I said though not sure if this applies to the Sydney one).

I see that you are overnighting in Melbourne. The Phillip Island Penguin Parade is a wonderful experience, it is not very often that you get to watch creatures like this in their natural environment. The penguins all come ashore at night shortly after sunset (when the darkness provides a bit of cover from predators). The Island is about a 90 min drive from Melbourne, but all really good roads, or there are also a lot of tour companies that have trips down there as well. Many of the tours also stop of at the koala sanctuary as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I see that you are overnighting in Melbourne. The Phillip Island Penguin Parade is a wonderful experience, it is not very often that you get to watch creatures like this in their natural environment. The penguins all come ashore at night shortly after sunset (when the darkness provides a bit of cover from predators). The Island is about a 90 min drive from Melbourne, but all really good roads, or there are also a lot of tour companies that have trips down there as well. Many of the tours also stop of at the koala sanctuary as well.

Best to do a tour for that. I did one many, many years ago. It was a long afternoon and evening but really worth it. Very easy to do when the ship is overnighting in Melbourne or if staying in Melbourne CBD.

I've been there since, when staying on Phillip Island, and the penguin experience was even better.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Best to do a tour for that. I did one many, many years ago. It was a long afternoon and evening but really worth it. Very easy to do when the ship is overnighting in Melbourne or if staying in Melbourne CBD.

I've been there since, when staying on Phillip Island, and the penguin experience was even better.

Best penguin tour I ever did was Low Head in Tasmania, only a hand full of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Rydges Sydney Central in Albion Street is modern, clean and comfy. Five minute walk to Central Station and the free CBD ho-ho buses runs along Elizabeth street to town.

• 2 weeks later...
Rydges Sydney Central in Albion Street is modern, clean and comfy. Five minute walk to Central Station and the free CBD ho-ho buses runs along Elizabeth street to town.

I will check them out We are doing sydney to sydney and NZ beginning 10/22 Long pants, jackets, gloves hats???

I will check them out We are doing sydney to sydney and NZ beginning 10/22 Long pants, jackets, gloves hats???

G'day patport

There will be a huge range of temperatures, we will be packing clothes that we can layer.

Remember that you are talking about late Spring here.

Sydney before you embark probably in the 70s. Darwin 90s, Melbourne, well it is Melbourne so four seasons in one day is not out of the question. NZ in early November can still be a bit chilly.

I wouldn't bother with the gloves, personally, a hat may be more needed for the sun than the cold, a light jacket [i will actually take a long sleeve denim shirt that I can wear over my other clothes if I need to]. You may want some shorts. Darwin at that time of year almost certain to get a thunderstorm in the afternoon, probably about sail away time.

Hello everyone. I truly apreciate the help and advice.

I read many threads, cruisecritic, tripadvisor, frommers etc. I made some notes..

Now I am looking for an inside tip for 2 or 3 most do... dont miss in this places..

Maybe your favorite restaurant or a bar or a place please feel free to post it... all the help is truly apreciated.

-Auckland

-Bay of Islands

-Tauranga

-Wellington

-Akaroa Harbour

-Dunedin

-Milford Sound

-Hobart

-Sydney

-Melbourne.

:):):)

Hi Joseph

I am an Aucklander now but have live in many areas and travelled extensively in our beautiful country.

I know your time will be limited but a few places I would recommend would be:

Auckland - your ship will berth in the downtown area. There are lots of nice restaurants in the viaduct area which is turning right as you head towards the city. It's a nice walk past the many luxury yachts that you will see moored in the little harbour. Keep walking over the bridge there are more restaurants down there.

Also a visit to the Sky Tower is must if you want to see views of the city and harbour. There is a a very good restaurant Orbit near the top which circles slowly as you dine.

Depending on how many days you spend here I would put Waiheke Is on the list. You can take a ferry from just near where the ship berths and do wine tour or a bus trip around the island.

Bay of Islands is a long day trip from Auckland which is best done on a good day. Take a ferry over to Russell from Paihia, the oldest established settlement in NZ and first seat of government or visit The Treaty House at Waitangi.

Tauranga, good day trips to Rotorua, the geyser capital, Whakarewarewa boiling mud pools and geysers. Buried Village is interesting. Taupo an hour away, see Huka Falls, Lake Taupo, also a few adventure activities e.g. bungy jumping, not for the faint hearted! If wanting to stay around the area, head to Mt Maunganui an up market beach front with cafes etc.

Wellington, anywhere along the waterfront is good but take a cable car from Kelburn to the top for nice views of the city and harbour.

Akaroa is nice quaint french village where you can spend a day. If you go into Christchurch make sure you take the tram trip around the city to see the remnants of the devastating earthquake.

Dunedin is interesting for it's buildings, including the railway station. Also Larnach Castle is a popular tour.

Milford Sound is to be enjoyed for it's beauty alone. We visited there in May and took a day trip out into the sound.

I wouldn't bother with the gloves, personally, a hat may be more needed for the sun than the cold, a light jacket [i will actually take a long sleeve denim shirt that I can wear over my other clothes if I need to]. You may want some shorts. Darwin at that time of year almost certain to get a thunderstorm in the afternoon, probably about sail away time.

I would take a sunhat, and a warm hat, scarf and gloves - the lower part of NZ could still be very chilly in November, especially as Milford Sound etc is scenic cruising so you'll have some wind to factor in. A decent rain jacket is also a good idea, and a warm layer. I'll be taking all of that on my NZ Christmas cruise - which will probably guarantee it will be pleasantly warm :D