WC Words of Wisdom Please

mysty

Actually, I agree with the well seasoned wellseasoned! I usually have the butler take all of the wooden hangers, except for The Hubs jackets. They take up waaay too much room. I request paper covered hangers. It is also helpful to take some of those foam thingies that go on hangers to keep some materials from slipping off.

We just asked the butler for hanagers and they appeared. One trick we had was to have some sticky labels for the drawers in wardrobe labeled saves opening every one because what you want is always in the last one.

we always have a csse under the bed for larger coat s.

What you will need is a good diary invitation to dine, party, meet new friends flood in but maybe that wss just us.

We used magnets on the wall for inportant stuff.

Some more tips will surface in my poor brain soon

Joe 90

Mysty, I wouldn't worry about hangers. If you need more, just ask your butler. Also, when you send laundry out it is returned on hangers, so you quickly accumulate more. We are usually returning lots of hangers during a cruise.

Thanks Wellseasoned! Excellent suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Actually, I agree with the well seasoned wellseasoned! I usually have the butler take all of the wooden hangers, except for The Hubs jackets. They take up waaay too much room. I request paper covered hangers. It is also helpful to take some of those foam thingies that go on hangers to keep some materials from slipping off.

Great ideas duct tape! I actually have some foam covers and never thought to bring any. Thanks so much yet again! :)

We just asked the butler for hanagers and they appeared. One trick we had was to have some sticky labels for the drawers in wardrobe labeled saves opening every one because what you want is always in the last one.

we always have a csse under the bed for larger coat s.

What you will need is a good diary invitation to dine, party, meet new friends flood in but maybe that wss just us.

We used magnets on the wall for inportant stuff.

Some more tips will surface in my poor brain soon

Joe 90

Thanks Joe 90! Your drawer labelling idea is brilliant. :). I remember opening a number of drawers before I remembered which was the right one. I have put a journal on my list. I really appreciate your input!

Thanks Joe 90! Your drawer labelling idea is brilliant. :). I remember opening a number of drawers before I remembered which was the right one. I have put a journal on my list. I really appreciate your input!

I know this seems daft but don't forget how useful vacuum bags are ie those ones you press the air out of rather than use a vacuum cleaner.

We use them for our pillows and for some clothing to reduce the number of cases and stuff can be left stored in them until needed. We always take our own pillows even on a single night away. As an example they reduce down in bulk by I'd say around 80%. A bag of underwear and socks and tee shorts is reduced by I think about 50% and as there is a vacuum they don't seem crumpled when you unseal the bag. We use them for shirts as well.

Jeff

I know this seems daft but don't forget how useful vacuum bags are ie those ones you press the air out of rather than use a vacuum cleaner.

We use them for our pillows and for some clothing to reduce the number of cases and stuff can be left stored in them until needed. We always take our own pillows even on a single night away. As an example they reduce down in bulk by I'd say around 80%. A bag of underwear and socks and tee shorts is reduced by I think about 50% and as there is a vacuum they don't seem crumpled when you unseal the bag. We use them for shirts as well.

Jeff

Yet another gem! Thanks Jeff! I did not think to use those bags! I have many with stored items at home like blankets and such. It would work a treat for packing! Excellent idea! It seems you are an early riser. No sleeping in? :)

Yet another gem! Thanks Jeff! I did not think to use those bags! I have many with stored items at home like blankets and such. It would work a treat for packing! Excellent idea! It seems you are an early riser. No sleeping in? :)

Well this is how things go. There is a bit of renovation going on in the hotel at the moment, so my afternoon routine testing of the blackout nature of the inside of my eyelids has been a bit compromised. So I look forward to the night more than I do at home.

However, this morning shortly after 4 am I noticed a red flashing light in the bedroom lighting up the ceiling. It was the message light on the telephone. I turned the light on waking wifey thinking this might be some dire news from home and pressed the message button. It said there was a text message for me. So I switched the light off and headed for the lounge in my Y fronts. Please don't try and visualise this as it is an image best forgotten.

Anyway I switched the TV on to get the text message. The text message was to call the front desk. I called the front desk and they asked me if "I woild stop by to settle my bill to date as they hadn't pre-authorised enough". 4 am. They always do this. They know how much my stay is going to cost so why not pre-authorise enough. :confused:

Anyway, as I'm now up - I couldn't go back. I'll have early breakfast. ;)

The other day I was suprised that people were having breakfast in the lounge when I arrived at 7am. I was told the lounge and restaurant both open at 6am. "Really "I said " I thought the restaurant always opened half an hour earlier - so wouldn't that be 6:30 in the lounge and 6 am in the restaurant?" " No always both been at 6am.

So fairly grumpy, but off to the lounge at 6am. Chef:" What are you here for ...we don't open to 6:30 ...."

Well, you did ask ..

Jeff

:)

Oh Jeff, that is so funny! Not for you I imagine! But it sounds like an episode of Fawlty Towers. Ha Ha! More upscale I think though! Love your stories. Enjoy your day!

Well that was before I headed to the restaurant for breakfast and got my bearings in there ... don't normally go there .... a little egg and bacon with a potato ... but they had filled the salt pot with pepper ....

Later on the cooler I will tell you why I was greeted by three chefs and a foods and beverage manager in the lounge last night .... all another misunderstanding you understand ..:rolleyes:

Again, on the water issue ask 100 people and some will turn it off and others leave it on.

Keith

After coming home a few years ago, from a much shorter cruise, to a basement filled with water (an improperly-installed expansion tank had fallen off, leaving a full-sized pipe pouring water) we started turning the water off when we went away, and if I felt like it, draining the system.

If I was going away for any extended period I would do my utmost to find someone to go into the house at least once every few weeks and check around for 1/2 an hour.

After coming home a few years ago, from a much shorter cruise, to a basement filled with water (an improperly-installed expansion tank had fallen off, leaving a full-sized pipe pouring water) we started turning the water off when we went away, and if I felt like it, draining the system.

If I was going away for any extended period I would do my utmost to find someone to go into the house at least once every few weeks and check around for 1/2 an hour.

We have someone check the house inside once a week and also more frequently if the weather gets below freezing.

Keith

Mysty,

Some additional suggestions:

If you are on any medications be sure that you make arrangements to have a sufficient number of them on board.

Bring a list of vendors that you use should there be some issue at your house that needs to be corrected before you arrive home.

For companies such as insurance companies be sure you have more than just their toll free number which likely will not work outside of the USA. Have their regular phone number.

Bring a soft or hard copy of your medical records particularly if you have anything out of the norm.

I mentioned this earlier but bring over the counter medications for various illnesses from colds to even flu like symptoms to stomach issues. This just avoids you having to get them while away and it allows you to bring brands that you are most familiar with.

I am sure you will do this anyway but bring multiple credit cards. Check your credit cards now and if you have any that are expiring while you are away or even the month after you return contact the companies to get new cards now.

If you have a card that you use to pay many of your bills automatically don't use it for other purchases just to minimize the card being compromised.

It's never to early to plan so as you think of things write them down.

Keith

speaking of credit cards, make sure you have ones that have the chip embedded in them, as well. Know the pin code for the card. Make sure you recall the pin code for retrieving your phone messages when you have service. Inquire as to plans you can get with your phone to save on getting messages or making a phone call. When in port, find hotspots for calls to be made if needed.

Many merchants will not take certain credit cards, so you might want to have the potpourri of cards.

The idea of a "first aid kit" is a good one, with the OTC remedies for certain ordinary maladies that may strike during a long absence. Tissues or disinfectant wipes in packages are a must.

Insect repellant may be bought on board, but there are types with natural substances which work as well and are far less toxic.

Keith and Spinnaker2, you guys rock! :). Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions! They have been added to the to-do list. I think I have about 10 lists on the go now. Packing, purchases, visas to apply for, things to do, etc. hopefully nothing major falls through the cracks. I appreciate your great input!

mysty, the key is you are starting early.

It's those who wait until the last minute who typically have problems.

As I think of something I just add it to my list.

I will give you another tip. Because we bring so much more in the way of toiletries, first aid, medicines and the like we have them all in one piece of luggage and then when we arrive to the ship we set out those items that we need right away and keep the rest of the items in both a cabinet and also under our bed in the suitcase it is already packed in.

Second tip. Assume you will get an upper respiratory virus multiple times. It just seems to happen on long voyages so I would bring more in the way of cold relief items such as cough drops than you think you will use. I believe in having too much versus too little of these items.

Keith

I haven't read the whole thread but by far the best tip I can give you ... particularly on a cruise ... is split all your stuff between your cases. Not a single case with all one person's stuff in. Sooner or later one case goes missing and you might find one of you with nothing for some time unless you split everything between all cases. Splitting minimises damage.

So three cases means splitting your negligibles equally between all three. Same with Y fronts. Etc.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Jeff for yet another solid piece of wisdom! I do try to divvy things up. I tend to pack for both of us but I usually end up with more stuff to pack for me than for Myster. :). What are Y fronts? They do sound interesting!

mysty, the key is you are starting early.

It's those who wait until the last minute who typically have problems.

As I think of something I just add it to my list.

I will give you another tip. Because we bring so much more in the way of toiletries, first aid, medicines and the like we have them all in one piece of luggage and then when we arrive to the ship we set out those items that we need right away and keep the rest of the items in both a cabinet and also under our bed in the suitcase it is already packed in.

Second tip. Assume you will get an upper respiratory virus multiple times. It just seems to happen on long voyages so I would bring more in the way of cold relief items such as cough drops than you think you will use. I believe in having too much versus too little of these items.

Keith

You are a wonderful resource Keith. Thanks so very much! Your generous help is greatly appreciated!