passport vs passport card

gluecksbaer

I'm wondering if excursions that are noted as requiring a passport generally allow a passport card. They would be land crossings so I would think under the law the cards would be okay but figured I would ask before wasting time researching those excursions. (If we find anything we like I will check with the tour operator to confirm before booking. I just want to make sure it's not a known issue.)

I'm not an expert on this but...I have a passport and my daughter has a card.

Not a problem when we did the train in Alaska that went into Canada.

Did you make a stop and get off in Canada? Nothing is necessary if you just go up and back without leaving the train.

A passport card will work between Canada and the US at land and rail crossings as well as sea ports but will not work for air travel if for some unfortunate reason you had to return home by air from a Canadian port. Here is a link for further details:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

A passport card will work between Canada and the US at land and rail crossings as well as sea ports but will not work for air travel if for some unfortunate reason you had to return home by air from a Canadian port. Here is a link for further details:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Thanks. I understand the law in regard to cruises/travel in general. I was just wanting to check on the excursions that list "passport required" to make sure that the excursion operators didn't generally require actual passports. (We opted for the cards for our kids because of the 5yr expiration. I figure that if we can fly home from Alaska or take a train or ferry to Seattle from the ports in Canada. And if we get stuck north of Vancouver but south of Alaska it will probably be a bad enough situation that not having a passport book will be just a glitch.)

Thanks. I understand the law in regard to cruises/travel in general. I was just wanting to check on the excursions that list "passport required" to make sure that the excursion operators didn't generally require actual passports. (We opted for the cards for our kids because of the 5yr expiration. I figure that if we can fly home from Alaska or take a train or ferry to Seattle from the ports in Canada. And if we get stuck north of Vancouver but south of Alaska it will probably be a bad enough situation that not having a passport book will be just a glitch.)
Have you ever had a medical emergency where a member of your family became ill or required hospitalization outside the country?

It was never something we thought about until it it happened to us.

It is not a matter of what the excursion operators require, but rather a matter of what we would need to fly back to the USA from wherever we happened to be, the easiest and most direct way possible.

If the closest airport to us is Vancouver (YVR) we want to be able to fly right out of YVR, not first need to start transporting a sick or injured child by land or sea to Seattle in order to be able to fly out.

Other than Victoria, there are no Canadian ports on the OP's Alaskan cruise. I cannot imagine anyone bothering to try to fly home from Voctoria when you get to Seattle 6 hours later.

Other than Victoria, there are no Canadian ports on the OP's Alaskan cruise. I cannot imagine anyone bothering to try to fly home from Voctoria when you get to Seattle 6 hours later.

Yes and no; if they go on the WP&YR or another excursion over the summit into BC or the Yukon then they are in Canada and obviously the card will be adequate as are other WHTI documents. However if the poster had a medical emergency on the excursion then they would likely be medevaced to Whitehorse. Or if they became seriously ill on the ship and were airlifted to Prince Rupert...then what. The odds are likely pretty slim, however most of us take us have insurance on something and hope we never have to collect on it. That all said, if the OP is comfortable with those risks then, yes , the passport card is more than adequate.

If they get sick in Skagway they may fly home from Yukon in Canada.

Pay the extra money and get a passport.

I can never understand why people go off on the OP for answering a simple question.

The question was do you need a passport book for a land excursion that crosses into Canada.

The question was NOT should I get a passport in case I get violently ill or break my neck while in Canada. :rolleyes:

Some people never miss an opportunity to proclaim their superiority when it comes to knowing what's best for other people.

I'm assuming the OP is an adult and can make his or her own decisions.

Edited by Cruzin-K

Wow, that is some kind of a soap box you are on....I really don't think anyone needs a lecture for pointing out objectively some of the shortcomings of the passport card and then let the OP make their own decision. Not everyone has house insurance or takes out an extended warranty on their car but I hate to see people who wish they had of.

I'm wondering if excursions that are noted as requiring a passport generally allow a passport card. They would be land crossings so I would think under the law the cards would be okay but figured I would ask before wasting time researching those excursions. (If we find anything we like I will check with the tour operator to confirm before booking. I just want to make sure it's not a known issue.)

Passport card is fine for the train excursions. If you want to double-check - you should confirm it with the WPYR office directly, since they are the ones that have the most up-to-date information (if you call the cruise line, I wouldn't be surprised if the support rep doesn't even know what a passport card is).

Did you make a stop and get off in Canada? Nothing is necessary if you just go up and back without leaving the train.

There's only one excursion on the WPYR website listed as not requiring a passport: the White Pass Summit Excursion, where you don't get off the train. So it's an option, but there are really much more interesting combinations of their excursions available, that go further into Yukon.

I can never understand why people go off on the OP for answering a simple question.

The question was do you need a passport book for a land excursion that crosses into Canada.

The question was NOT should I get a passport in case I get violently ill or break my neck while in Canada. :rolleyes:

Some people never miss an opportunity to proclaim their superiority when it comes to knowing what's best for other people.

I'm assuming the OP is an adult and can make his or her own decisions.

This forum is a great place to learn from others. I think your post shows more assumed superiority for trying to police this thread.

You are correct in that the poster's questions should be answered, but it makes good sense not to stop there with tunnel vision and then provide the additional information.

No one has raised another issue, the one of cost.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/fees.html

A passport cost $110 while the card is $30. Is it worth the additional $80 for the clearly superior choice. Are you planning future overseas trips within the next 10 years?

The choice is an individual one, but the individual should be aware of the benefits of the passport.