Miami pre-cruise hotel

Vicki5050

Lots of threads on this subject if you search.

Prices will be peaked in Feb :eek: - what is your budget? What airport do you fly into - FLL or MIA? What time of day do you arrive? :confused:

Only a few places near the MIA airport offer both airport and port shuttles - La Quinta East , Embassy Suites MIA and Springhill Suites Medical Center are most often suggested.

Arriving late and just want dinner and a room - better hotels in better areas near MIA with free airport shuttles are in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, etc.) - taxi to the port the next day will run about $26+

Want to stay downtown near the port and enjoy sightseeing, dining and nightlife? Check out the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Intercontinental, Doubletree, Marriott and others.

It would help if we knew the exact date. And what time you arrive. Rates will be at their highest. And you need to be careful that you dont book something just for shuttles or lower costs. Some areas are not where you want to be.

There are several of us coming in different dates and times. Cruise is 2/27/16 so we looking for a room Friday, 2/26/2016 but here are several in our group.

There are 5 of us arriving 2:00pm 2/26 2 adults, 3 kids 9,7,4

There will be another 6 arriving at 8:00 pm 2/26 2 adults, 4 kids 12,9,6,6

Two more sets of 2 adults that haven't booked their flights yet. One might fly in 2/25/16 instead and will stay two nights.

Another family of 2 adults, 2 kids 7,5 that will arrive 2/25/16 and stay two nights. Looking for something affordable with shuttle. Closeby to restaurants for those arriving an extra day early.

I would focus on hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Sofitel, etc.) -- all offer MIA airport shuttles and there is a local strip mall nearby (across the street from the Hampton Inn) with dining, shopping, fast food, Starbucks, etc. Hampton and some others may have a cruise package including shuttle to POM, otherwise the cab fare will be about $26-27+tip for the cab (great deal if you can squeeze 4 plus bags into a taxi ;)).

For those arriving early I would suggest that they shuttle back to the MIA airport and from there catch the Airport Flyer bus ($2.65 each) to South Beach - beach, lunch, drinks, shopping, people watching, etc.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp

I agree to look at the blue lagoon area chain suite hotels with all those kids. They won't be cheap on your peak dates. But there opportunities for hotel shuttles and free breakfasts. With no car, I'd settle on spending the day at the pool. Dinner choices nearby. For this many people, I'd be looking to book now.

Has anyone stayed at the YVE Hotel near the Miami port ?

I have not stayed at that particular hotel but, location is good. Right by the Bayside open air mall, and there are restaurants over there as well. Which, are generally chain restaurants, but convenient if you don't have a car. There is also a CVS down the street if you need anything. The port is only about a 5 minute taxi ride and will cost you around $8-10

I agree to look at the blue lagoon area chain suite hotels with all those kids. They won't be cheap on your peak dates. But there opportunities for hotel shuttles and free breakfasts. With no car, I'd settle on spending the day at the pool. Dinner choices nearby. For this many people, I'd be looking to book now.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon. Free shuttle from airport. Pool & hot tub area. Strip mall across the street with grocery store, Starbucks, restaurants, etc. Very nice free breakfast in the morning. Eggs, fruit, waffles, yogurt. They also had a shuttle signup to cruise port. I believe it was $10 per person. We were at the POM in about 15 or 20 minutes.

The only complaint I've read here is that some rooms are smaller. But location is great for a pre cruise night.

Actually, the rooms are really small. This hotel used to be a tourist hotel a few years ago that catered to Asian and European tour groups. It's been refurbished but the bathrooms are tiny. It's right on Biscayne Blvd, across from Bayside Marketplace so it's a bit noisy as well. Also, it's not in a place I'd walk around at night. Other than that, it's less than a mile from the port entrance and they have good food in the pub.

There are some larger and some smaller rooms. Yes, years ago it used to be the Continental and pretty much a dive.

But it is getting average reviews now, some larger rooms that actually face the waterfront, has a popular pub/restaurant and actually nearby the Intercontinental and holiday Inn where many pay more to stay. But same neighborhood. Safety practice in the area, as in any large city should be "be aware". There are lots of tourists walking the area around Bayside Mall/Park. Roaming away from lit areas, would not be wise.

For a one night stay, it's a good choice for the value.

Edited by eandj

We have stayed at the YVE before, and will be staying there again in January . Yes, the rooms can be small, just like in NYC. The bathrooms are small, just like on the ship! The location is great, CVS is directly across the street, Bayside and all its stores and restaurants are across the other street. If you have time you can grab a water tour of the harbor and homes of the rich and famous.

We didn't find it noisy at all, and we were in a room facing Biscayne Ave.,had a small view of the ships in the morning. The elevators can be slow and busy, just like on the ship too, so we take it all in stride and enjoy it! The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful too! We really like it there, much nicer feel than HI for us!

I would NEVER stay at the YVE. We stayed there when they were the B2 and be prepared to use the stairs at all times. We were a group of 13, and my in laws could not manage the stairs, the rest of us gave up on the one tiny elevator that was almost always over full, and took 5 - 10 minutes to get to the lobby at any time of day. If the elevator is not full of guests, it is stuffed with trolleys, as they do not have a service elevator.

Hopefully the change of name means new management. Despite mostly having 3 persons behind the desk, there only ever one person to help guests, the rest refused to make eye contact or add guest resources despite the line of waiting guests reaching and going out the front door. If you plan on parking, it took us 45+ minutes to get our car, regardless is we called ahead or not.

I would say that the only thing going for the hotel was the location, directly across from the bayside marketplace, which made it very easy to pick up last minute necessities, and access to restaurants.

I would NEVER stay at the YVE. We stayed there when they were the B2.

Hopefully the change of name means new management. .

Yep. ;) Your review isn't really relevant. The service gets rave reviews now. Check out tripadvisor.com.

Yep. ;) Your review isn't really relevant. The service gets rave reviews now. Check out tripadvisor.com.

Hmm my review is not relevant? Unless they magically made the rooms bigger, and installed a second elevator, i think a few of my issues are still relevant. I did say that I hoped the change in management was a positive change in terms of service levels.

Hopefully the change of name means new management. Despite mostly having 3 persons behind the desk, there only ever one person to help guests, the rest refused to make eye contact or add guest resources despite the line of waiting guests reaching and going out the front door. If you plan on parking, it took us 45+ minutes to get our car, regardless is we called ahead or not.

That's service in Miami as a whole. My friend has made a very good living writing about the crappy customer service in Miami.

There are several of us coming in different dates and times. Cruise is 2/27/16 so we looking for a room Friday, 2/26/2016 but here are several in our group.

There are 5 of us arriving 2:00pm 2/26 2 adults, 3 kids 9,7,4

There will be another 6 arriving at 8:00 pm 2/26 2 adults, 4 kids 12,9,6,6

Two more sets of 2 adults that haven't booked their flights yet. One might fly in 2/25/16 instead and will stay two nights.

Another family of 2 adults, 2 kids 7,5 that will arrive 2/25/16 and stay two nights. Looking for something affordable with shuttle. Closeby to restaurants for those arriving an extra day early.

Given the amount of people, I would definitely suggest the Embassy Suites. Just for the fact of bigger rooms. Free breakfast is a plus and the adults will need that happy hour!!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone ever stay at the hilton airport hotel? Coming in late, only need a place to sleep.

I believe it is in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA, close to the Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and others. Local strip mall with grocery, drug and liquor :D stores for pre-cruise shopping is about a 5-10 minute walk away. Taxi to the port should run about $30+tip