Oosterdam Questions???

retdon

Asking all of my great CC pals who have been on the Oosterdam within the LAST 2 years to help me make a decision. :)

I have a hold on VA5094. This appears to be just over the life boats, checked several deck plan sites and all look the same. QUESTION: Does this interfere with your view from the veranda? I ask because we usually are higher up.

How is the condition of the ship, food?, any complaints/compliments????

Anyone have current menus from Pinnacle and Canaletto? I have found older ones, nothing within the last 2 years.

Thanks for your answers, have to make a decision by tomorrow. Linda:o

My husband and I was just in VA5101 in February and I had no problem with the view. The lifeboats are really under the level of the balcony so do not hinder your view at all. I loved the ship. I had been on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam so I was familiar with the layout. But I liked the colors and decorations better on this ship. We had a renewal of Vows ceremony and the Captain was great and spent a good hour alone with us. The food was very good at all three venues. Sorry don't have any menus to share. You will love the Oosterdam.

We cannot speak to your cabin issue (we were in VE7031) but we did spent 38 days crossing the Pacific on the Oosterdam this past September. It was a good cruise and we did not have any major complaints. As to the Pinnacle, they were using the newer menu but we thought it was underwhelming for dinner. But we really enjoyed lunch in the Pinnacle (they do this on some sea days during longer cruises) several times. As to Canaletto, DW just reminded me we looked at the menu, were not impressed, and never ate in that venue. But we did talk to some MDR tablemates who tried Canaletto and did not think it was worth the money. We have dined in Canaletto on other HAL ships and always enjoyed the meal since we found it a fun change of pace from the MDR.

Hank

Asking all of my great CC pals who have been on the Oosterdam within the LAST 2 years to help me make a decision. :)

I have a hold on VA5094. This appears to be just over the life boats, checked several deck plan sites and all look the same. QUESTION: Does this interfere with your view from the veranda? I ask because we usually are higher up.

How is the condition of the ship, food?, any complaints/compliments????

Anyone have current menus from Pinnacle and Canaletto? I have found older ones, nothing within the last 2 years.

I don't feel the view is interfered with at all... some get mad if they can't look straight down and see the water though, so your opinion may be different.

Here's a sample pic of what you can expect:

shrimpboat.13.png

Here are the current Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

I was on the Oosterdam on a long repositioning cruise just over a year ago.

I found the ship in excellent condition, and the service better than on any ship up to that point.

I dined in the Pinnacle four times, and had a grand time there. The food was top-notch, and the service was wonderful.

Thanks for the menu. I booked during the Anniversary Sale, will they assign us dinner or lunch here?

You will receive a pink envelope in your stateroom with the reservations. Take them to the PG to change the time. We have never had a problem making a change.

Thanks for all the replies, sounds wonderful. I did book and got the sale items. $400 shipboard is fantastic....

I will keep checking to see if one of the VA cabins opens near the mid-ship elevator on a higher deck. I'll take the second one from elevator but not the first....

Looking forward to another great HAL cruise and some new excursions.

Is the Pinnacle open for both lunch and dinner?

If you can manage it, I highly recommend the Pinnacle Grill lunch. In our opinion, it's one of the best deals in surcharge restaurants. It's also a very nice and relaxing way to break up your day.