Ketchikan excursion/getting around

sh2738

I have expensive excursions planned in 3 other ports so I would like to try to save money at this port. We are going to do a self guided walking tour of the actual town but heard that the totem state park is recommended. However it is out of town. Our cruise line does a tour that is 45/person. I know that the bus is $1. However, how difficult is it to get the bus? I have seen that it amazingly only runs once per hour. Are there long waits for the bus from the cruise port to the totem park? I don't want to waste time waiting for a bus when we have limited time here. Is t better to just do the arranged tour to save time?

Also, we really want to see bald eagles and I heard that you don't have to do a separate excursion to see them. Is this true? Any suggestions on spots to go and see them?

Planning on having lunch as well. Any recommendations on good places to eat? I tried searching but couldn't really find any. I am traveling with a vegetarian so that makes it a little more difficult in seafood markets.

Thanks so much. 2 weeks away :)

If you look carefully there are Bald Eagles all over. We saw 30-40 lined up on a log in the water outside a canning facility at the main dock right near the ship. They are in various places right near town and the piers. While sailing its easy to spot them in the trees with their white heads.

Try and take some good binoculars with you.

We're renting a car from Alaska Car Rental (800-662-0007) for a total of $61.69. This way we can get to the totem parks on our own schedule and stop where we want to.

Eh no thanks. We really don't want to drive just to go to one place. Doesn't make a lot of sense for us. Don't know the area so it wouldn't be a good idea. Thanks anyways.

If you look carefully there are Bald Eagles all over. We saw 30-40 lined up on a log in the water outside a canning facility at the main dock right near the ship. They are in various places right near town and the piers. While sailing its easy to spot them in the trees with their white heads.

Try and take some good binoculars with you.

Thanks for the tips. Yes I have just bought some nice binoculars. Have you ever eaten lunch in Ketchikan?

Ketchikan itself is small, easy to walk around. If you want to save money. go back to the ship for a bite to eat for lunch.

If you have a clear day and you are on a northbound sailing, you will be able to see the totems from Totem Bight State Park on the starboard side of the ship just a few minutes after you sail. Binoculars and a good zoom lens will be useful for that.

In Ketchikan itself check out Creek Street and if you want to get tickets to the Lumberjack Show, it is entertaining.

We took the bus to Totem Bight. It was very easy to do. We enjoyed seeing the totems and the lodge house and the clan house as well as walking along the easy trails.

We had time afterwards to go over to Creek Street, walk up the Married Man's Trail, and ride down on the funicular. It was an inexpensive day.

Edited by geoherb

We took the bus to Totem Bight. It was very easy to do. We enjoyed seeing the totems and the lodge house and the clan house as well as walking along the easy trails.

We had time afterwards to go over to Creek Street, walk up the Married Man's Trail, and ride down on the funicular. It was an inexpensive day.

Was there a long wait for the bus? Since it is summer I am worried about there being a lot of people waiting for one bus, since there is only one per hour.

Also, what is the furnicular? I have seen this mentioned in other posts but haven't seen an explanation for what it is. Thanks.

Also, what is the funicular? I have seen this mentioned in other posts but haven't seen an explanation for what it is. Thanks.

Creek Street has some interesting shops, described below, but it's also fun just to walk on the creek-side boardwalk, into the forest above, and over the "Married Men's Trail" -- once a discreet way for married men to reach the red-light district. The Cape Fox Hill-Creek Street Funicular (known as "the tram"), a sort of diagonal elevator, runs 211 feet from the boardwalk up to the Cape Fox Lodge on top of the hill. Take it up and then enjoy the walk down through the woods. The summertime fare is $2, but if no one is around, just press the "up" button and go.

Creek Street has some interesting shops, described below, but it's also fun just to walk on the creek-side boardwalk, into the forest above, and over the "Married Men's Trail" -- once a discreet way for married men to reach the red-light district. The Cape Fox Hill-Creek Street Funicular (known as "the tram"), a sort of diagonal elevator, runs 211 feet from the boardwalk up to the Cape Fox Lodge on top of the hill. Take it up and then enjoy the walk down through the woods. The summertime fare is $2, but if no one is around, just press the "up" button and go.

Thanks. That video is great. Looks like a cute little town. Is creek street where the salmon run is if they are running when I go?

Thanks. That video is great. Looks like a cute little town. Is creek street where the salmon run is if they are running when I go?

It is, but they won't be running when you go.

For lunch, we really enjoyed Annabelle's. It's mostly seafood, but there are a few vegetarian options.

We did a walking tour around town and went to the Totem Heritage Centre. It's a museum where they keep reclaimed totem poles and there is information about the Tlingkit people. It was very interesting and only $5 admission.

There are lots of totem poles around town which you will see while walking around.

We enjoyed Creek Street, Married Man's Trail, salmon ladder, and went into Dolly's museum, which was inexpensive and interesting.

We've been there twice and just love it for walking around and looking at stuff. Good prices if you are looking for souvenirs, especially if you are looking for things made by native Alaskans. One day we will try the funicular. :)

We did a walking tour around town and went to the Totem Heritage Centre. It's a museum where they keep reclaimed totem poles and there is information about the Tlingkit people. It was very interesting and only $5 admission.

There are lots of totem poles around town which you will see while walking around.

We enjoyed Creek Street, Married Man's Trail, salmon ladder, and went into Dolly's museum, which was inexpensive and interesting.

We've been there twice and just love it for walking around and looking at stuff. Good prices if you are looking for souvenirs, especially if you are looking for things made by native Alaskans. One day we will try the funicular. :)

Thanks. That is really helpful. Might do the walking tour all around first and then if we have time later and haven't seen enough totem poles then we can do that. Thanks for the info on the shopping. I do want to get some Alaskan stuff.

What is it that you would like to do? Check this out http://www.experienceketchikan.com

We did a tour with Classic Tours and really enjoyed it http://www.classictours.com/totemt.html

There are lots of other totem / walking tours such as Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours and Wild Wolf Walking Tours.

Check out Tripadvisor for restaurants. We ate on the ship.

Edited by Alaskanb