Any one just back from the Dawn

Leaving in a few weeks just wondering who replaced Jose & Patti also who the cruise director is and your general thoughts in general. Last few posts I read haven't been all so great but I am still a believer your vacation is what you make of it.

Been on the Dawn many times but this year there seems to be so many changes!

Leaving in a few weeks just wondering who replaced Jose & Patti also who the cruise director is and your general thoughts in general. Last few posts I read haven't been all so great but I am still a believer your vacation is what you make of it.

this is a great place to start

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726&highlight=dawn

Hi Paula,

Glad to see you are still cruising out of Boston. We have been on a bit of a cruise retirement with one in college and the other will be a senior in high school in the fall. Our last cruise was the Dawn (again) in 2012. I cannot believe it has been that long!

I have been reading up on the Dawn because we will be on her again next August (2016). We will have 2 in college but we have been saving. We booked a Deluxe Owners Suite as it will be our 25th Wedding anniversary. We thought about a newer ship, different itinerary, even a different line but decided that Boston to Bermuda is just fine and gives us a great vacation for the money. The prices on the Breakaway were much, much higher than the Dawn for the week that we could go.

Although I prefer the Gem and the Pearl, I think that the Dawn is still beautiful. Sure she is older but will be getting a refurb in the Spring of 2016 right before the Boston to Bermuda season. For me there is nothing like sailing out of Boston in terms of convenience. I also cannot get enough of Bermuda. I would move there if I could:D.

Enjoy your cruise and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Maybe you will join us on 8/5/16? I hopefully have convinced coka to come too, lol!

Jose and patti will be playing in new hampshire on june 25th and rehoboth ma on june 26th. Both were charity events that are open to public. Thats all I remember but it means they aren't on the dawn for a bit.

We just returned from the Dawn on the 19th. No way is she bottom of the barrel. The carpeting has been updated, the ship is very clean and in great shape for her age. Service was very good. Our cabin steward, Roberto, couln't do enough for us.

We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. The food in the MDRs was adequate, deliciious, and well presented. I didn't feel the need to spend a lot extra just to dine.

About the changes-----we didn't buy what we didn't want.

Patti and Jose were fantastic as usual. I skipped a show in the theater, just to watch them. They need a larger venue to accomodate the crowds who attend their shows. The Atrium is too small for them. I do not know who will be replacing them, but they said that they'll return for the repo cruise, and the same time frame next spring.

The cruise director was Bobby. He was lively, and announced activities all day.

Our passenger consist ranged from infant through elderly, and all seemed happy. Lots of families, teens, and young adults were onboard having a great time-----as we were. I did not want the cruise to end so fast. As I have stated before, 7 days goes by waaay too fast.

There may be a few nay-sayers about the Dawn, but I say Nay to them. DH and I had a great time, and will, God willing, sail on her again.

We just returned from the Dawn on the 19th. No way is she bottom of the barrel. The carpeting has been updated, the ship is very clean and in great shape for her age. Service was very good. Our cabin steward, Roberto, couln't do enough for us.

We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. The food in the MDRs was adequate, deliciious, and well presented. I didn't feel the need to spend a lot extra just to dine.

About the changes-----we didn't buy what we didn't want.

Patti and Jose were fantastic as usual. I skipped a show in the theater, just to watch them. They need a larger venue to accomodate the crowds who attend their shows. The Atrium is too small for them. I do not know who will be replacing them, but they said that they'll return for the repo cruise, and the same time frame next spring.

The cruise director was Bobby. He was lively, and announced activities all day.

Our passenger consist ranged from infant through elderly, and all seemed happy. Lots of families, teens, and young adults were onboard having a great time-----as we were. I did not want the cruise to end so fast. As I have stated before, 7 days goes by waaay too fast.

There may be a few nay-sayers about the Dawn, but I say Nay to them. DH and I had a great time, and will, God willing, sail on her again.

Can you name a ship in the NCL fleet that needs and up grade More than Dawn.

Or get more complaints than Dawn at this time ??

I hope not .

JMHO

Edited by biker@sea

Thanks for some updates I really love the Dawn and I missed sailing on her last year. A few more weeks and I will let you know my thoughts.

@barb thanks for the input it's exactly what I wanted yo hear. I was on the Gem last November and they were doing upgrades while on board new carpets etc and the carpets make a big difference gives you the new feeling. I will wait and see if I hear about Jose and patti replacements.

@jimswims so nice to hear you are cruising next year both my boys are out off college now and one is married! We actually are cruising again on the Dawn not sure of the date yet it's a family graduation trip that I am not organizing but......the last time we cruised with the planner it was the beginning of August....Hopefully we will see you and Coka again!!!

I didn't plan on the Dawn this year wanted to wait for the refurb and then we booked a few weeks ago ...I am addicted!! I guess it will be nice one last time with the blue lagoon but I will say for those who remember the original blue lagoon i liked it the ordinal way better. Congrats on your upcoming 25th! Next year will be our 30th yayyy another reason to cruise in 2016!

Thanks for some updates I really love the Dawn and I missed sailing on her last year. A few more weeks and I will let you know my thoughts.

@barb thanks for the input it's exactly what I wanted yo hear. I was on the Gem last November and they were doing upgrades while on board new carpets etc and the carpets make a big difference gives you the new feeling. I will wait and see if I hear about Jose and patti replacements.

@jimswims so nice to hear you are cruising next year both my boys are out off college now and one is married! We actually are cruising again on the Dawn not sure of the date yet it's a family graduation trip that I am not organizing but......the last time we cruised with the planner it was the beginning of August....Hopefully we will see you and Coka again!!!

I didn't plan on the Dawn this year wanted to wait for the refurb and then we booked a few weeks ago ...I am addicted!! I guess it will be nice one last time with the blue lagoon but I will say for those who remember the original blue lagoon i liked it the ordinal way better. Congrats on your upcoming 25th! Next year will be our 30th yayyy another reason to cruise in 2016!

Enjoy the Dawn Paula! I look forward to hearing about your cruise. Sounds like you have some celebrating in 2016 too, congrats on 30 years! I think that 8/5 is the perfect time for you to cruise to celebrate, lol!!! BTW, I also remember the original Blue Lagoon and liked it there as well.

Can you name a ship in the NCL fleet that needs and up grade More than Dawn.

Or get more complaints than Dawn at this time ??

I hope not .

JMHO

Some work has already been started on the Dawn, such as new carpets. Shel'll be going in for

a multi-million dollar dry dock in 2016. After that, she'll be good as new.

Leaving soon on the Dawn and just checking on any new updates from those who just returned. Wondering who or what the atrium entertainment is now. Hopefully hearing more positive things from last weeks trip.

Even though we cruise yearly each trip is always a new and fun adventure!!

Thanks!!!!

Leaving soon on the Dawn and just checking on any new updates from those who just returned. Wondering who or what the atrium entertainment is now. Hopefully hearing more positive things from last weeks trip.

Thanks!!!!

A fresh review here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726

Edited by biker@sea

Thanks!!!!

I'm also looking for this information. Jose & Patti were great & I was hoping to see them again in a few weeks but, that's not in the cards. I'm hoping a CC member just returned & can tell us who has replaced them................

Leaving in less than two week and wondering what the entertainment has been on the past few cruises? I'm interested in both the Stardust Room and the atrium entertainment. Who is the band that usually plays in the Spinnaker Lounge? thanks for any info

Just got off Dawn last Friday. The masquarade duo replaced the other singers. Never sat and listened to them. But they did sound good when I walked by.

Dont miss David Davici the illusionist. Best shows ever. Get there half hour early, or you wont get seat

I cannot imagine how a duo that sings for a total of about 6 hours on a week long cruise or a specific cruise director could impact a vacation.

I cannot imagine how a duo that sings for a total of about 6 hours on a week long cruise or a specific cruise director could impact a vacation.

I'm pretty sure they sing more than 6 hours over the course of the week but that's really irrelevant. The "impact" is really pretty easy to understand. Those who like to listen to Jose & Patti while enjoying a drink or two may need to look for something else to do if they find the replacements not as good. That's not to say the change will make the cruise less enjoyable. It's just the need to [potentially] re-evaluate the original plan.