Carry On Bag Weight

NW Pacific

Have an upcoming flight from Syd-LAX on Qantas, their website states carry on bag, 15 lb. limit. Does anyone have experience with Qantas or other airlines that have a carry on weight restriction? Do they weigh carry-ons when you check in, at the gate, or not at all??

Have an upcoming flight from Syd-LAX on Qantas, their website states carry on bag, 15 lb. limit. Does anyone have experience with Qantas or other airlines that have a carry on weight restriction? Do they weigh carry-ons when you check in, at the gate, or not at all??

Be prepared to follow the weight and size restrictions provided by Qantas. They are not a suggestion but rather a rule that could be enforced at any check in or gate check.

Qantas DOES enforce its carry-on weight limit.

Two years ago, I was flying AKL/LAX.

My carry-on weighed 8kg; weight limit is 7kg.

My bag was weighed at the Counter and was deemed as over weight.

I had a bag, containing souvenirs, in my carry-on.

So, removed the bag and was with in the weight limit.

After I cleared Security, I put the souvenirs back into my carry-on.

I was stopped as I walked to my gate and had to remove the souvenirs again at another weight check.

I fly Qantas several times each year (as recently as last month), and almost always see them checking carry-on weight, especially (a) people in economy class, and (b) people with roller bags.

Size seems to be of lesser importance in my experience (though I have by all means seen them check the dimensions many times), but Qantas very, very often weighs the bag.

Qantas DOES enforce its carry-on weight limit. Two years ago, I was flying AKL/LAX. My carry-on weighed 8 kg; weight limit is 7 kg. My bag was weighed at the Counter and was deemed as overweight. I had a bag, containing souvenirs, in my carry-on. So, I removed the bag and was with in the weight limit. After I cleared Security, I put the souvenirs back into my carry-on. I was stopped as I walked to my gate and had to remove the souvenirs again at another weight check.

I'm confused. :confused:

I don't understand what you did with your "bag of souvenirs." You were still carrying them. Did you put them under your coat or in coat pockets? 1 kg. Jeez, what are they thinking? What else would they do? Charge you? How much?

Thanks for your help! :D

Qantas DOES enforce its carry-on weight limit.

Two years ago, I was flying AKL/LAX.

My carry-on weighed 8kg; weight limit is 7kg.

My bag was weighed at the Counter and was deemed as over weight.

I had a bag, containing souvenirs, in my carry-on.

So, removed the bag and was with in the weight limit.

After I cleared Security, I put the souvenirs back into my carry-on.

I was stopped as I walked to my gate and had to remove the souvenirs again at another weight check.

I'm confused. :confused:

I don't understand what you did with your "bag of souvenirs." You were still carrying them. Did you put them under your coat or in coat pockets? 1 kg. Jeez, what are they thinking? What else would they do? Charge you? How much?

Yes -- I would have been charged a "fee" for my over weight carry-on.

The Counter Agent was just doing his job; I have no complaint.

Rules are rules.

Beside my checked luggage, all that I had was my carry-on.

I just removed the souvenirs to be with in the weight limit.

I carried the bag, as a separate item, through Security.

As I said, after Security, I put the souvenirs back into my carry-on.

Didn't realize that there was a secondary weigh station in the Concourse.

Was stopped again. Guess that they saw me putting the bag back into my carry-on.

At the Gate, I noticed that there was no further weight screening.

So, I put bag back into my carry-on.

Typically it becomes checked baggage but no reference on the Quantas site.

Air New Zealand can also weigh carry-on bags. Folks in front of us had to shuffle items around. For another group of folks it became checked baggage and they had to pay the excess baggage fee.

Edited by Alaskanb

Thanks. I guess I'd better weigh my carry-ons carefully or just plan on bringing 2 cases to check as I used to do if I have to pay $100 to check a small carry-on. The last time I flew was last August and I did not have any problem on BA so I guess things have changed since then.

Restricting online baggage by weight (I accept size limits) is pretty stupid. The plane's going to be carrying the same weight whether it's in the overhead or hold. I can see the concern being people slowing things down (or dropping them) because they're having trouble lifting...but, in that case, the check should be 'lift your bag overhead and hold it there for 20 seconds'.

What's *really* going on is airlines ensuring people pay the fee to check a bag!

Edited by azevedan

Actually, weight is an issue. Next time, take a closer look at the bins overhead. You will find a placard that specifies the maximum weight for the entire bin. Those bins will only hold so much weight -- and then they might come down on your head.

I leave it to Zach and Kenish to go into greater details, given their expertise in this area.

Actually, weight is an issue. Next time, take a closer look at the bins overhead. You will find a placard that specifies the maximum weight for the entire bin. Those bins will only hold so much weight -- and then they might come down on your head.

I leave it to Zach and Kenish to go into greater details, given their expertise in this area.

Maximum loading for each bin is around 30kg (65 lbs)....it depends on the bin. Bins are usually overloaded weight-wise on every flight I take. The bins are suspended from the top of the fuselage using very stout structures. It's pretty equivalent to the weight of a small car hanging over the passengers. The issue isn't the static (not in motion) weight...the main issue is during a crash. Overloaded bins have come down onto passengers in several crashes, and the NTSB has recommended strict enforcement of bin weight limits. The FAA has pretty much ignored the NTSB recommendation; the blunt truth is it will take an accident where passengers are crushed by falling bins before the FAA will act (standard MO). European airlines seem to be more conscious of this issue and restrict bin items to 8kg or so.

Edited by kenish

I actually work in the industry. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. ;)

I still think 'lifting it up there and holding it over your head' is a pretty good limitation on keeping the bins from being overloaded. The bins are also over-designed beyond that listed load limit, as you mention. They pop open in turbulence and other situations, not necessarily because of overload but perhaps from the closing mechanism yielding first. Of course, it is indeed a valid concern that a heavier item falling out would hurt more than a lighter one. But even the light ones are going to hurt (see some interesting points in this article):

http://www.airsafe.com/journal/issue13.htm

Note that a lot of the flight attendant injuries would be prevented if they didn't have to help pax, which they wouldn't, if the pax had to show they could lift their own luggage!

BTW, the airlines are not doing the weight limit argument any favors by proposing smaller bags so that more of them can fit in the overhead (without changing the weight restrictions.)

Edited by azevedan

What else would they do? Charge you? How much?

So, my question is:

How much would I pay for the Overweight Carry-On? :eek:

Apologize for taking so long to fully answering your question.

Was travelling for a few days.

The CA said the charge would be $50.00.

I asked: USDs? NZDs?

He said NZDs.

Removed the bag -- No problem, at the Counter, on weight then.