New policy on opening veranda dividers?

I called RCCL yesterday to change the date of an upcoming cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. When I mentioned to the agent that my friend had the cabin next to ours and that we would be requesting that the divider between verandas be opened, she said that RCCL has a new policy and that this can no longer be done due to safety reasons. We were on the Oasis last month and had no problem with this. We loved our expanded hump cabin verandas. I thought it was really up to each captain. Is this truly something new? Anyone ever have trouble with getting them opened?

Thanks,

Deb

Interesting, time will tell I guess, but safety seems to be the go to word for giving an answer you can't argue with. What you don't like safety? ;) I guess jumpers need 2 balcony width running start? Yes, I did go there. I suspect this was an answer to get you off the phone, but I could be wrong.

Balcony dividers on Radiance class ships cannot physically be opened. Same for 1st generation Voyager class ships (Voyager/Adventure/Explorer)

RCI's policy has always been that the decision to allow balcony dividers to be opened is at the discretion of the senior management onboard each ship.

Experience has shown that it is almost almost allowed on Oasis and Freedom class ships because these are the sliding door variety. On Navigator and Mariner, it is often not allowed because these are the swinging door style.

Remember that the people who answer the phones are generally not knowledgeable about things that occur on the ship, and often give out incorrect or incomplete info. They are definitely not a reliable source of this sort of info

Edited by DonnaK

On Radiance class ships the dividers do not open so it's a non issue on those ships. As to them being opened on others, it's a developing situation. It did seem that recently it was left up to the captain to decide. Now, it appears as if it's heading to be a corporate policy for safety considerations.

On Radiance class ships the dividers do not open so it's a non issue on those ships. As to them being opened on others, it's a developing situation. It did seem that recently it was left up to the captain to decide. Now, it appears as if it's heading to be a corporate policy for safety considerations.

I don't think "it's heading" to be policy at all. It's up to the senior management onboard as other's have responded above. This is how rumor's get started from one uninformed (reading from general text) and inexperienced CSR...most of them when asked have never even been on a cruiseship.;)

I don't think "it's heading" to be policy at all. It's up to the senior management onboard as other's have responded above. This is how rumor's get started from one uninformed (reading from general text) and inexperienced CSR...most of them when asked have never even been on a cruiseship.;)

I suspect that some of them may not have even seen one.

Technically the company policy is no open dividers, regardless of what may occur on the ships.

Since when? As recently as March we had open dividers on the Navigator. We have had open dividers on the Liberty, Freedom, Oasis and Allure too. When did this become company policy?

Edited by Lilyrosemum

Since when? As recently as March we had open dividers on the Navigator. We have had open dividers on the Liberty, Freedom, Oasis and Allure too. When did this become company policy?

There are times when I wonder if some of the posters here are RCI customer service reps as the info that they post seems to have the same level of reliability.

I was told about 9 years ago they do not open the dividers because it's a safety hazard in case of fire. I thought the policy had changed because so many people here on CC talked about opening the dividers. I guess they are going back to the former policy.

We were on the Oasis last week and the 3 cabins next to us were one group and they had the dividers removed so they could enjoy one large balcony. Our cabin was in between their 4th cabin and they were asking us to switch cabins with them so they could have 4 in a row with removed dividers. Unfortunately we couldn't as we needed the pull out sofa for our kids and their cabin didn't have one.

I was told about 9 years ago they do not open the dividers because it's a safety hazard in case of fire. I thought the policy had changed because so many people here on CC talked about opening the dividers. I guess they are going back to the former policy.

During those last nine+ years they have added ships that have balconies that can open easily like on Navigator, Freedom Class and Oasis Class ships. We have never had a problem getting balconies on those ships opened. If you were sailing the early Voyager Class ships, Radiance Class or Vision Class (or older) the balconies weren't meant to be opened.

Edited by Lilyrosemum

How do you request the dividers to be opened? Is that a pre-cruise request or do you ask the room steward once you are onboard?

We have 4 aft rooms next to each other on Liberty of the seas, e hope to have the dividers opened for us.

Speak to your stateroom attendant.