Blu vs Luminae

Fritzou

I know you can order from the MDR if you are in luminae but can you order from BLU's menu as well?

Michael's Club isn't for all suites. Sky Suites cannot use MC.

We're a different drum here. We didn't like Luminae at all. The lunch menu never changes and we didn't like any of the lunch selections. There were very few dinner menus we liked at all, and thought that for the price you pay, especially in Celebrity Suites and higher, that the dinner selections are sparse. Service has been great in both Blu and Luminae, in our experience.

Edited by LabGuy64

To be totally honest, I have not tried Blu too often because I found that the quality of both food and service was disappointing on all but our first cruise after the restaurant was available. We used to choose to eat only in the specialty restaurants.

We much prefer Luminae to Blu or the specialty restaurants. The one item we loved in Blu, the chicken consume, was trumped by the duck consume in Luminae!

We also now take the unlimited dining package- we prefer the speciality restauants, especially on the Reflection and Silhouette- We find the food in Blu not to be great- the only advantage of blu over the main dining room is that the seating is like a restaurant, although you sit very close to another table if you are two people-

If you book a suite you can dine in Blu or Luminae.

I know you can order from the MDR if you are in luminae but can you order from BLU's menu as well?

I would think you would not be able to....especially on the"S" class ships since Blu is on another level and also has it's own galley....but maybe some one else can definitively say one way or the other...

Luminae with a sky suite rocked. We never made it to the MDR for dinner with Luminae there. Food is seriously good. Brunch is great on sea days. They will make pretty much whatever you want - menu is basically a suggestion for brunch.

I really think these kinds of questions are difficult to answer. Food is so subjective and what appeals to one may not to another. Unless someone knows a person well, where they come from and what they normally like it's just one person's opinion.

Celebrity is using good quality ingredients prepared nicely. Whether you will like it won't really be known until you try it.

That's certainly true. And I would add that food is more important to some people than others.

Having said that, it doesn't seem to be an issue in rating land-side restaurants. There are many commercial restaurant rating systems, including Zagat, Michelin, etc. that people rely on. And dozens more of consumer rating systems including Yelp and Tripadvisor that are helpful.

So while I realize opinions on food are personal, it's still better than no opinion at all. So if someone has an opinion, please feel free to give it.

I don't think the QG or PG on Cunard compares with Luminae. We feel the Grills are superior to Luminae, especially in terms of variety of menus. Menus in Luminae are sparse, and they did not change the lunch menu at all, and after a week, you're tired of the same things for lunch. Celebrity needs to revise their menu options in Luminae and provide at least three different lunch menus, if not more, so diners, who are paying a premium for their suites, don't have to go to the MDR or buffet to get different kinds of food. We also found the QG menus to be more diverse and offer more options that the Luminae menus.

I can say this for sure :

I met and had a brief conversation with the Celebrity VP in charge of food and wine at a Miami food festival event. He said that the food budget for Luminae was much higher than any other ship restaurant including Murano.

They also culled their best chefs for the restaurant, some from Murano, some new hires.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the food in Blu. I think the menu is replete with fancy culinary terms, but falls short on substance and execution. The menu hasn't really changed since it's inception five years ago.

I will be try Luminae for the first time in a few weeks aboard the Silhouette. I look forward to it.

I don't think the QG or PG on Cunard compares with Luminae. We feel the Grills are superior to Luminae, especially in terms of variety of menus. Menus in Luminae are sparse, and they did not change the lunch menu at all, and after a week, you're tired of the same things for lunch. Celebrity needs to revise their menu options in Luminae and provide at least three different lunch menus, if not more, so diners, who are paying a premium for their suites, don't have to go to the MDR or buffet to get different kinds of food. We also found the QG menus to be more diverse and offer more options that the Luminae menus.

Thank you, Tracie.