No air conditioning in your stateroom? How would you react?

ljk76

For a trip that expensive, I expect three things off the top: a working toilet, hot water, and cool AC.

I can do without everything else, but those three are imperative!

After a long day of touring I want a warm shower and a good night's rest in a cool room.

Glad I found this thread, as I've been eyeing both the Xpedition Galapagos itinerary and French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin for 2017. Sounds like this vessel needs a dry dock and a different AC system installed and no AC would be a dealbreaker for me!

For a trip that expensive, I expect three things off the top: a working toilet, hot water, and cool AC.

I can do without everything else, but those three are imperative!

After a long day of touring I want a warm shower and a good night's rest in a cool room.

Glad I found this thread, as I've been eyeing both the Xpedition Galapagos itinerary and French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin for 2017. Sounds like this vessel needs a dry dock and a different AC system installed and no AC would be a dealbreaker for me!

We have done the PG in Tahiti, and it was one of our best trips. The ship is simple, the food divine, and the people could not be nicer. After we got off we spend 3 days in Moorea. They have an excellent product and I would highly recommend it. You wouldn't be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you want to see the animals, the Galapagos is interesting. The ship is tired in my opinion and the food was terrible. A lot had changed in the 10 years since our first trip there. It seemed to have lost its energy. 10 years ago the fisherman would bring fresh fish to the back of the ship. Now this doesn't happen and the fish is all frozen. My husband said he couldn't tell the difference from one to the other. This is my opinion, and even people we became friends with said they were disappointed for what they had spent. This ship is not owned by Celebrity. It is owned by and ecuadorian company.

We are sorry we took the time and money to go back. I guess some places you cannot return once you have been there. You can find many articles about how the Galapagos is being ruined by tourism. Just do a google search. The fishing limits which were 40 miles, have been reduced to 20 miles, and the factory ships sit outside those water limits waiting for the fishermen to bring their fish to them. It is very sad. The airport is new, and there were so man planes coming in I thought I was in Maui. The previous time we were the only plane there.

On the other had, after two trips to Tahiti, it was the same 10 years later.

We have done the PG in Tahiti, and it was one of our best trips. The ship is simple, the food divine, and the people could not be nicer. After we got off we spend 3 days in Moorea. They have an excellent product and I would highly recommend it. You wouldn't be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you want to see the animals, the Galapagos is interesting. The ship is tired in my opinion and the food was terrible. A lot had changed in the 10 years since our first trip there. It seemed to have lost its energy. 10 years ago the fisherman would bring fresh fish to the back of the ship. Now this doesn't happen and the fish is all frozen. My husband said he couldn't tell the difference from one to the other. This is my opinion, and even people we became friends with said they were disappointed for what they had spent. This ship is not owned by Celebrity. It is owned by and ecuadorian company.

We are sorry we took the time and money to go back. I guess some places you cannot return once you have been there. You can find many articles about how the Galapagos is being ruined by tourism. Just do a google search. The fishing limits which were 40 miles, have been reduced to 20 miles, and the factory ships sit outside those water limits waiting for the fishermen to bring their fish to them. It is very sad. The airport is new, and there were so man planes coming in I thought I was in Maui. The previous time we were the only plane there.

On the other had, after two trips to Tahiti, it was the same 10 years later.

Were in Quito..yep new airport..lots to see and do in Ecuador....doing Galapagos later this year, and will go on a smaller ship..but we have the benefit of first hand information when it comes to which company to use....I'm sure ur cruise will be fine and hopefully no AC issues...Dr season here which means no rain and cooler temps and reports state its going to be windier than normal!

Thanks to Jazz for the explanation for this ship. But I think almost all ships have some kind of central AC units. There is not a seperate unit per cabin that I have seen. I have read many descriptions of the AC systems and most are some kind of forced air system with a "thermostat" that really controls air flow. I think the ships are designed to guarantee something like 70 degrees for each cabin. If some cabins use less, then others might get more. Have seen many reviews on various lines where the engineering staff measure the temp and if it is in their range then all they do is offer a fan. Really not what folks want to hear but that is usually the way it is.

I can, probably, relate to the OP more than anyone here...

We leave for Quito...and the Xpedition...the day after tomorrow.

We originally booked our cruise two years ago and also booked Cabin #317. We booked the trip while onboard the Silhouette with the Furture Cruise Consultant and the advice we got was to book the lowest priced cabin--since ALL the cabins on the Xpedition, save the suites, are "Ocean View" cabins--though those first few on Deck 3 are slightly smaller--by approximately 15 square feet--and are more square than rectangular. Being that we were booking so early, 317 was available, so we took it.

I have followed the Xpedition thread (mentioned above) very carefully the last two years...and I also became very concerned as the reports of the air conditioning problems started appearing.

I started communicating with the Xpedition desk at Celebrity--keeping all conversations very cordial and pleasant--Remember, the people who man the desk really don't control this...and, since the ship is alwasy sold out so long in advance, there often isn't much they can do. OTOH, they were very helpful in finding out and supplying information on this and a number of other issues for me (for example, I spoke with them when the Volcano started exploding and they were able to get me pretty detailed information about what was happenning with the ship and what contingency plans they have).

Initially, what they were able to do for me was to pre-reserve a fan for our cabin. They also were very forthcoming in reporting on the issues--including the tie in to water temperatures due to the "water-cooled" system. Typically, water temperatures in the Galapagos DO decrease substantially starting in June OR BEFORE...But, due to El Nino, this year, the temperature changes appear to be lagging a bit--hence the issues with air conditioning. The system is having to work a little harder and the requirements have been exceeding the capacity. Deck 3 is an issue due to the proximity to the water as well as the location of the ship's kitchen.

Obviously, after booking two years ago and waiting for so long, we were not going to cancel the trip. And our vacation timing is tied in to my wife's school district work calendar--so we are not that flexible in rebooking to a later date.

Luckily for us, we DID get extremely lucky a couple of days ago...Though the cruise has been sold out for a long time, apparently, someone just had to cancel last minute (I wouldn't count on it--but it DOES happen). Celebrity was nice enough to let us change cabins to the now vacated one on Deck 4. Obviously, we are very happy. And, obviously, Celebrity cannot do this for everyone...Cancelations on Xpedition are rare...and if no cabins open up, the ony alternatives are to live with it and hope for the best--or to cancel and rebook at a later (probably much later ) date.

My advice to the OP is to contact the Xpedition Desk...Let them know of your concerns...Pre-request one of the few onboard fans (better than nothing)...Hope that the water temperatures DO drop between now and your sailing. When on the ship, if the room feels hot, let the crew know that you would like large amounts of ice delivered regularly to your cabin...

If all else failed, my contingency thought was to grab a pillow from the cabin and head up to the lounge and sleep on a sofa... (Well, maybe not--it would be a bit strange--but maybe Celebrity would get the point)...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Good result for you Bruin Steve, enjoy your new cabin and the wonderful Galapagos Islands. The wildlife are so up close and personal and the adventures you will have will make any issues on the ship forgotten. Enjoy your cruise.:D

I can, probably, relate to the OP more than anyone here...

We leave for Quito...and the Xpedition...the day after tomorrow.

We originally booked our cruise two years ago and also booked Cabin #317. We booked the trip while onboard the Silhouette with the Furture Cruise Consultant and the advice we got was to book the lowest priced cabin--since ALL the cabins on the Xpedition, save the suites, are "Ocean View" cabins--though those first few on Deck 3 are slightly smaller--by approximately 15 square feet--and are more square than rectangular. Being that we were booking so early, 317 was available, so we took it.

I have followed the Xpedition thread (mentioned above) very carefully the last two years...and I also became very concerned as the reports of the air conditioning problems started appearing.

I started communicating with the Xpedition desk at Celebrity--keeping all conversations very cordial and pleasant--Remember, the people who man the desk really don't control this...and, since the ship is alwasy sold out so long in advance, there often isn't much they can do. OTOH, they were very helpful in finding out and supplying information on this and a number of other issues for me (for example, I spoke with them when the Volcano started exploding and they were able to get me pretty detailed information about what was happenning with the ship and what contingency plans they have).

Initially, what they were able to do for me was to pre-reserve a fan for our cabin. They also were very forthcoming in reporting on the issues--including the tie in to water temperatures due to the "water-cooled" system. Typically, water temperatures in the Galapagos DO decrease substantially starting in June OR BEFORE...But, due to El Nino, this year, the temperature changes appear to be lagging a bit--hence the issues with air conditioning. The system is having to work a little harder and the requirements have been exceeding the capacity. Deck 3 is an issue due to the proximity to the water as well as the location of the ship's kitchen.

Obviously, after booking two years ago and waiting for so long, we were not going to cancel the trip. And our vacation timing is tied in to my wife's school district work calendar--so we are not that flexible in rebooking to a later date.

Luckily for us, we DID get extremely lucky a couple of days ago...Though the cruise has been sold out for a long time, apparently, someone just had to cancel last minute (I wouldn't count on it--but it DOES happen). Celebrity was nice enough to let us change cabins to the now vacated one on Deck 4. Obviously, we are very happy. And, obviously, Celebrity cannot do this for everyone...Cancelations on Xpedition are rare...and if no cabins open up, the ony alternatives are to live with it and hope for the best--or to cancel and rebook at a later (probably much later ) date.

My advice to the OP is to contact the Xpedition Desk...Let them know of your concerns...Pre-request one of the few onboard fans (better than nothing)...Hope that the water temperatures DO drop between now and your sailing. When on the ship, if the room feels hot, let the crew know that you would like large amounts of ice delivered regularly to your cabin...

If all else failed, my contingency thought was to grab a pillow from the cabin and head up to the lounge and sleep on a sofa... (Well, maybe not--it would be a bit strange--but maybe Celebrity would get the point)...

Good luck...

Thank you Steve, your story is pretty much identical to ours (right down to being on the school calendar!) so I know you understand. I did just now call and reserved a fan (it will be in the room...) and Ashley did offer to upgrade us to the only available other room...the penthouse for big,big $, not in our budget! And I think deck 6 has their own AC problems anyway.

I hope you have a fabulous trip, and look forward to reading about it soon!

The main cause of the A/C issues are the water temperatures, so if that would affect the A/C over the whole ship. The upper levels though would get the sea breezes through window/balconies.:D

But it doesn't. The only complaints have come from deck 3, especially those at the front (e.g. 317), and deck 6. If you choose a moderate-priced cabin on deck 4, you have no worries about AC.

But it doesn't. The only complaints have come from deck 3, especially those at the front (e.g. 317), and deck 6. If you choose a moderate-priced cabin on deck 4, you have no worries about AC.

Deck six, most expensive and HOT

Thanks to Jazz for the explanation for this ship. But I think almost all ships have some kind of central AC units. There is not a seperate unit per cabin that I have seen. I have read many descriptions of the AC systems and most are some kind of forced air system with a "thermostat" that really controls air flow. I think the ships are designed to guarantee something like 70 degrees for each cabin. If some cabins use less, then others might get more. Have seen many reviews on various lines where the engineering staff measure the temp and if it is in their range then all they do is offer a fan. Really not what folks want to hear but that is usually the way it is.

We are having the AC in our vacation home tested and re-balanced so all rooms are cooled equally...not sure it will work or could apply to a ship, but think AC is essential...not just to keep cool but handles humidity and dampness in rugs etc.,,

We are having the AC in our vacation home tested and re-balanced so all rooms are cooled equally...not sure it will work or could apply to a ship, but think AC is essential...not just to keep cool but handles humidity and dampness in rugs etc.,,

Good luck. Yes, as you say the A/C and temperature control is very important for humidity levels on the board as well.