SKY going into drydock in January, 1/11/16 sailing is CANCELED

bobg529

I received the following notification today from NCL;

"Norwegian Sky's 4-Day Bahamas sailing from Miami on January 11, 2016 is no longer available as the Norwegian Sky will be out of service for maintenance and refurbishments. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this cancelation and would like to thank you for your understanding."

They are offering you the choice of moving the booking to a different Sky booking and your cruise fare is protected, plus $25 OBC ($50 for suite or haven), or moving to a different cruise in which case your deposit will be applied and you receive the same OBC. If you do not act by 7/14/15 the existing reservation is canceled and they will refund your monies paid.

I'm a little bummed :(, but since I had booked this cruise to take as a pre cruise cruise so to speak, I still have my booking on the Escape intact and since its early enough that I haven't booked any air yet it's no biggie. Obviously, YRMV. Making lemonade out of lemons, I took the second offer and used it to book a birthday cruise for myself on the Breakaway in May. I'm going from an inside for 4 days to the Bahamas, to a studio for 7 days to Bermuda for the same money (actually a little cheaper!), and since I live in NYC, no airfare required!:D I guess I'll have to buy the UBP for myself as a birthday present however. :rolleyes:

A TA is giving a 50% discount?? I would love to look at that one!

Go to NCL online and they are still showing $539 pp 4 nite SKY 1/11/16. We paid online TA $249pp with $25 OBC. Have been cruising since 1978 and have seen crazier things then this. The rates quoted do not includes taxes, etc.

I tried calling as well, but like you, I never got an answer after being on hold for twenty minutes. So I contacted Costco travel, who I booked through, & she said they are normally not down more than a cpl of weeks. I did notice on the NCL site that someone had booked their same room for the week of 1/25/16, when someone brought the dry dock to their attention.

Interested to see what returns NCL will do for the Sky in Jan. Does NCL post hints or anything like that (Carnival does sometimes when their ships go into dry dock). We are booked on the Sky in April and really looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Wondering this myself, dry dock is never just 4 days so that means others will be cancelled too?? Or was it already scheduled and just extended? We have taken a short cruise on the sky for the past 4 years- nice ship and nice way to break up the winter a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused, where is everyone seeing this information? I just booked a cabin on this ship from 1/15 until 1/18. I did it over the phone and there was no mention of it being in dry dock. Shouldn't they have mentioned this or is this the kind of thing that they don't tell you until later on? Thanks for any info.

Edited by Casanovanaut

I tried to book January 11 to 15th 2016 on the NCL website for the Sky and could not.

So from January 11th when Sky returns to Miami, until Friday January 15th 2016 the Sky is not available.

There is a 3 day cruise for January 15th 2016.

I wonder how much "reno" NCL can do in 4 days at Port?

I booked for February 8th and really looking forward to a short cruise.

The recent negative reviews don't concern me.

I wonder how much "reno" NCL can do in 4 days at Port?

You would be surprised at how much they can do in a week. Especially if the cost of putting her in dry dock is less than the income gained. They might have a maintenance issue that would require much more cost if put off or just got a really good deal from the "reno" company so they can keep their people working. Who knows they haven't said what they are doing.