Independence Western Carib: Time Zone Change?

To anyone who's done the recent Western Caribbean itinerary on Independence, did they tell you to change your watches at all? (And if so, what nights?)

I'm particularly concerned about the ending time of one of the excursions I'm looking at for Grand Cayman in September. If ship's time is the same as island time, it'll be okay, but if ship's time is an hour later, I'm not going to feel comfortable cutting it so close.

Edited by ws422

Was on the Independence last month. I believe we stayed on ship's time for the entire cruise. Don't forget that you will tender in the Cayman's. You need to be aware of the last tender time, not the ship's sailing time.

Freedom stayed on ships time for western last week. That seems the norm for FL departures

We sailed the Indy Western two weeks ago. Even in ports with a time change, they remain on "ship" time. Also note the line for the tender in Cayman gets insanely long. We got in the tender line at 2:20 pm and were back on the ship at 3:30 pm. The tenders back up as everyone has to be scanned onto the ship and go thru security. The line snaked through the entire port area. It was hot and humid - being packed in the port area made it worse.

Just a heads up for planning purposes ... enjoy your cruise!

To anyone who's done the recent Western Caribbean itinerary on Independence, did they tell you to change your watches at all? (And if so, what nights?)

I'm particularly concerned about the ending time of one of the excursions I'm looking at for Grand Cayman in September. If ship's time is the same as island time, it'll be okay, but if ship's time is an hour later, I'm not going to feel comfortable cutting it so close.

We (Dog Lover and I) sailed the Independence last month and stopped at Grand Cayman. We did NOT do an excursion and just walked into town and visited the Ice Bar. I left early and went back to the ship and enjoyed the stillness of the ship while most folks were away. I also watched the huge crowds coming back on the tenders.. including my lovely bride and her son, who was in no hurry to get back. I think he was trying to drive her crazy...

So, as long as YOU are aware of ship time all you need to do is be diligent about getting back to the tender dock on time. The local tour providers are generally very aware of when their customers need to be back at the dock.

Enjoy your sailing. We had a great time.

Is the excursion thru the ship? If so, then you need not worry about the time, or "cutting it close", or anything. They will make SURE you're on the ship before it leaves...guaranteed.

If you're doing some sort of private tour, then make sure your WATCH (do NOT use your cell phone...it will screw you up) is set to the same time as the ship's clocks when you leave, That way, there is no real risk of getting the time confused. Cell phones will show local time...so you need to be able to physically set a WATCH to ship's time.

There is no reason to stick so close to port if you have a full day in GC...

As long as you are at the tender station before the last tender, they will get you to the ship.