Pop-up Scam

Install adblock plus; you'll not see those ads again.

OR, don't click on those ads.

Or you could activate your Pop Up Blocker under Preferences>Security.

Don't click on those ads.

Did you ever wonder why someone would give away a $3000 vacation?

AdblockPlus in Firefox is great, you can install it for IE11 as well, just a bit more involved (Microsoft does NOT like ABP at all... they like ad money). Good for Chrome as well. Ghostery will show you how many sites "track" you. Both are "add-ons" for Firefox.

The specific type of pop-ups you are talking about are very prevalent right now throughout the US and some other countries. It is a concerted effort to get your data and money and it is a scam.

It is attacking both Windows based and Apple/Mac based computers... mostly Safari in Macs. It seems to be able to bypass the "pop-up blocker" that is embedded in most browsers. I have seen it on iPads and Android based tablets.

If it does not want to "go away" generally shutting down the product(laptop/box/tablet/smartphone), removing the power supply (cord and battery), hold down the power button for about 30 seconds, then put the power back to it (battery/cord) and restart should do it. With tablets just turn off completely and then back on... not just asleep but completely off.

If you get it more than once you are most likely infected with some malware (virus) and need to seek out a pro (not someone from the internet), ask friends for a referral. And yes I do this for a living...

Bob

Some people may also be accessing the website from computers for which they don't have admin access rights. For example, I cannot install AdBlock on my work computer and I cannot disable the popup blocker and I'm forced to use an older version of Internet Explorer, though I'm allowed to surf any website I want.

Most of the infected ads come from whatever ad service a particular website is using. It does help to notify the owners of the website if there is an issue so they can contact their ad service. And if you ever see anything remotely strange, do exactly what bobsfamily says: shut down your computer without clicking on any of the screens.

do exactly what bobsfamily says: shut down your computer without clicking on any of the screens.

Right click on your bar at the bottom (in desktop mode) - select "start task manager" and under "applications end anything having to do with the internet. Then shut down normally IF you can. If not then go ahead and do the shutdown.

I would also ask the admin to PLEASE check out the problem!

Edited by bobsfamily