Dress Code jan 10, 2016 sailing

the cruise line has every right to tell him how to dress. their ship, their rules.

'suggested' or otherwise. whatever the cruise line website says, is what they should be abiding by.

That to me is what t comes down to respect for your hosts requests.

The OP said that he normally wears a "dark blue suit with a shirt & tie" five days a week, so I'm presuming he is a fire, police, or other formal first responder administrator. Commissioning ceremonies and funerals are formal events that normally call for dress uniforms. Nobody would think of disrespecting the new appointees or family members of the deceased by showing up otherwise.

It shows disrespect to a host and to fellow guests to dress in a manner far removed from what has been requested for an event. It would also show disrespect if the opposite was true - to dress in formal wear for a casual dinner. That would be telling the hosts and fellow guests, "I am proper even if you are not."

Oh, my.....

A case of you know what happens when one assumes??? :D

Those who wear dark blue suits and ties could well be a First Responder, Police Officer, Firefighter ..... but they could also be a trial attorney, an accountant, a CEO of corporation and the list goes on.

Doesn't really matter but we can't answer the question without know which cruise line/which ship.

Someone said Celebrity is the only cruise line that requires a jacket and tie for the gentlemen on formal night but HAL does, until now, but that might be on the verge of changing as we speak.

Very well-said.

To the OP: Do not be bullied by those who want to tell you how you should dress.

Yes! DO NOT be bullied by those who want to tell how you should dress. Just make sure you DO NOT travel on Cunard; they will sent you to the Lido.

M

Oh, my.....

A case of you know what happens when one assumes??? :D

Those who wear dark blue suits and ties could well be a First Responder, Police Officer, Firefighter ..... but they could also be a trial attorney, an accountant, a CEO of corporation and the list goes on.

Doesn't really matter but we can't answer the question without know which cruise line/which ship.

Someone said Celebrity is the only cruise line that requires a jacket and tie for the gentlemen on formal night but HAL does, until now, but that might be on the verge of changing as we speak.

Goodness gracious, did you give any consideration that the OP did choose "First Responder" as a screen name? A reasonable person will conclude he wants to be identified with a profession that includes...first responders. (Unless somebody has just been busted, in which case an attorney might be considered a "first responder" to help get one bailed out of jail.)

(Cunard requires a jacket and tie at dinner in the main restaurants on formal nights. Jacket, tie optional, on non-formal nights.)

If "formal" is going to be so loosely described why bother. Perhaps in 10 years we'll be reading nostalgic posts of past formal nights on ships....then even the restaurants went away and were replaced by sports bar buffets. :(

Same here. We could care less what others wear. Dress formal every night, dress casual ever night.....will not concern us or impact our enjoyment in any way.

I think the whole formal/informal discussion is overblown. People should mind their own business and get on with enjoying the cruise. It is up to the cruise line, and only the cruise line, to enforce to the degree that they deem appropriate. Other comments are nothing but noise level.

I think that its a much bigger deal on here than it ever is on the cruise.

Goodness gracious, did you give any consideration that the OP did choose "First Responder" as a screen name? A reasonable person will conclude he wants to be identified with a profession that includes...first responders. (Unless somebody has just been busted, in which case an attorney might be considered a "first responder" to help get one bailed out of jail.)

(Cunard requires a jacket and tie at dinner in the main restaurants on formal nights. Jacket, tie optional, on non-formal nights.)

If "formal" is going to be so loosely described why bother. Perhaps in 10 years we'll be reading nostalgic posts of past formal nights on ships....then even the restaurants went away and were replaced by sports bar buffets. :(

Sometimes people just seem to come up with a screen name on the spot without much thought. Just look at the many variations of "first cruise" and "new cruise" in screen names here -- I'm guessing they haven't thought beyond their first cruise. Some one may mean "first responder" in a different way than you do. Most of us do think of those working in an emergency kind of job, but the OP could be a volunteer fire person.

And I'm guessing that the OP couldn't find this thread as their profile info indicates they had logged in this afternoon, but hasn't posted anything since his first post yesterday.

Very well-said.

To the OP: Do not be bullied by those who want to tell you how you should dress.

By the way, I would never ever let anyone BULLY me into something I DO NOT want to do. However, I will follow the company guidelines and dress accordingly.

Happy 4TH

M

We have 100+ cruises, since 1985, and have never heard anyone even mention the Titanic!

On a New Years Eve cruise I MAKE my husband bring his tux and I wear a beaded gown but only on New Year's cruises!

On other cruises he brings a suit because he wants to. He wore a suit and tie from Kindergarten until he graduated from high school, every day. Now he only wears it IF he wants do- we're both retired.

We live at the NC beach now and it is formal if a man is wearing socks!

Socks are part of that formal attire especially in the humid south......LMAO...too funny!!!

What is the definition of FORMAL?

I am sorry to hijack your question but I am trying to get in touch with you. A while back you showed interest in the Sept 25, 2015 cruise to Hawaii. I am keeping track of all members in the roll call. Are you going to take this cruise? If not I will remove you from my list.