Comfortable but CUTE shoes - input needed

Guest maddycat

My favorite walking shoes are Grasshoppers and Sketchers. I've bought mine at my local DSW. I can't buy shoes online, I have to try them on.

I just bought Sketchers Go Walks with memory foam in an all-black style for my upcoming cruise to Alaska and time in Vancouver. They're all memory foam and very comfortable - in fact, I find them more comfortable than my running shoes and they look much cuter as well with everything from skinny jeans to ankle pants to dresses. Not my typical style as I'd usually go for a sandal or ballet flat, but they're a nice balance of comfort and style. And they can be thrown in the washing machine and air-dried as well. I will say that I had to try on a lot of different Go Walk styles until I found a specific one that fit well - some were way too tight across the top of the foot. Definitely needed to try them on in person, personally.

Good luck with the shoe hunt and enjoy your cruise! :)

Going on a Western Mediterranean cruise next month and expecting to do a lot of walking while in ports. A couple of the stops will include visiting cathedrals so my knees must be covered, meaning long pants or skirts. I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of shoes to wear that will be comfortable for lots of walking yet still be cute with a long skirt. I typically wear flip flops during the summer months but I know they are not practical and pretty frowned upon in Europe (plus they can be annoying to everyone with the flip flop flip flop!).

So, looking to those that have experience - do you have any suggestions for certain shoes that meet both the comfy and cute criteria? If it helps, I am a very active 40 year old so I don't want grandma looking shoes. ;) I appreciate your input!

Hello valorgirl! I want to throw out a recommendation for you since you are a flip flop lover. I recently purchased a pair of Ahnu Serena Textile sandals in Seagrass, and I have to tell you I am over the moon: http://www.zappos.com/ahnu-serena-textile-usa-seagrass Ahnu makes these in solid colors too (just google "Ahnu Serena"). They have the look of a flip flop with a covered heel. They are comfortable right out of the gate, with good arch support, and the thong does not rub or cause blisters...which is something I have constantly previously battled when looking for thong style sandals. Also, they are the lightest things ever and I personally think they are stinking cute. I think these look more polished than flip flops, and they work well with dresses, skorts, cropped pants and shorts. Now, if covered toes are a must for you, then forget these. I am a convert of these for sure, and plan to add some solid colors to what will be a growing collection.

• 1 year later...

I wear Tieks all the time. They are pricey, but well worth the money. They're Italian leather ballet flats in many colors and prints. They run around $200 a pair (depending on the color/pattern you get) and are only available on the Tieks website. Shipping is fast and free, customer service is phenomenal. I have weak ankles and several years ago had surgery on both feet to correct plantar fasciitis so I am very picky about shoes. I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet all day and I've never been uncomfortable in these shoes. Bonus--they have a split sole so they fold in half and pack in a small drawstring bag that comes with them. They are available in some patent leathers and various metallic colors (gold, silver, bronze, etc.) that would work on formal nights.

I usually just wear water shoe type sandals similar to Teva Tirra. They come in really cute styles these days and functional! I hate having to pack so many pairs of shoes on vacay. So those are my regulars, and I'll pack a pair or two for dress up times. That way even on excursions, no matter what you do, you're shoes can stay on your feet! :)

Edited by Ellusionz

For summer trips that involve a lot of walking, I wear Taos walking sandals. Love the Trullie style: https://taosfootwear.com/trulie.html

I always pack 2 pair of good supportive walking shoes as we walk 8-10 miles a day and it feels good to change off. Jambu and Naot are two other staples.

Flip flops, ballet flats and my usual summer sandals (we live in FL) are simply not the right choice for walking miles on the cobblestone streets of Europe.

Edited by caviargal

I need good suggestions for "Spring in Europe"......maybe wet and cool. I love my Keen's for summer but not sure what to try.

We will be going from Barcelona to Stockholm starting April 15.....

I need good suggestions for "Spring in Europe"......maybe wet and cool. I love my Keen's for summer but not sure what to try.

We will be going from Barcelona to Stockholm starting April 15.....

You will likely encounter a wide range of weather. For spring and fall I will generally pack my Merrell clogs and my Naot Chi boots. Both are waterproofed and that gives me footwear for a wide range of temps.

I just bought new Dansco walking shoes. They are sneaker-like, have elastic laces with a toggle clasp and have removable insoles so I can use my orthopedic inserts. I have worn Danscos for years, but my feet swell while cruising,so I need shoes with laces so I can change the tightness if needed. I think these shoes are more stylish than normal tennis or athletic type shoes.

I wish I could wear my regular Dansco clog type shoes, but I really need the lace-up feature.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think, just like with everything, it just depends on the particular person. I don't know that it's 'wrong' to suggest someone wear what they normally wear - different strokes for different folks! ;)

I personally don't wear different shoes when I cruise/vacation, than I do at home. I wear ballet flats A LOT. They are super comfy to me, lots of different styles/colors available, easy to pack etc I definitely wear them while traveling. If it was a warm time of year for Europe, I'd probably wear leather sandals. I have a lot of pairs of the Sam Edelman "Gigi" sandals - they're comfy/cute, come if a TON of colors/patterns. They work with skirts, pants, dresses - you can dress them up or down.

I haven't had any problems on cobblestones with my footwear choices - but that's me, and my situation. If I was hiking in Hawaii...I'd obviously wear something different. I don't have any special needs in terms of footwear, so I wear what I like, and what's comfortable to me. :)

We were in Europe this past November for several weeks, and I wore ballet flats almost exclusively (along with a pair of black boots). I tend to be more of a formal person in general. I don't wear workout shoes, unless I'm working out (or on a hike or something). I do often bring a pair of low top converse or supergas for an alternative to ballet flats when I'm traveling, but I often end up not using them - they're just a touch too casual for me. It really just depends.

Edited by CutieKakes

I'll give another "thumbs up" for VIONICS ... I have several pair and LOVE them all. But I will say that different styles fit differently and I have actually returned some basic 'flip flop' style Vionics because they fit completely differently than my others. (FWIW, I have sort of wide/thick feet and began wearing Vionics after shattering my ankle and having surgery.)

For daytime/casual wear on our recent cruise I took a black pair of thong-type sandals and a tan/reptile pair of t-strap sandals ... both from Vionic and they worked with pretty much every outfit I wore from swimsuit & cover up, to casual skorts and tops. I could have even worn them with the dresses I took for dinner ... but I did choose to wear a pair of wedge heels most nights to the main dining room and shows/night club, etc. just because I wanted to look/feel a little more dressed up.

My mom loves her Sketcher GoWalks.

Good Luck!

Most ballet flats are too unsupportive for me to wear. I have found a few "comfort" brands that work ok (including vionic, which are cute but I find overpriced for the quality - the brown leather ballet flats I have started to rub badly within 7 months...) That said, (and I know caviargal has mentioned this too) I walk a LOT more around Europe on vacation than I do during a work day. I wear hiking sandals or walking shoes or boots, weather depending. Keen boots work great for me (half a size up) but the sandal styles do not. I love dansko- can't wear any of the clogs but the thick rubber soles? I'm in!

In addition to what fits our feet best, vacation style is important. You need a lot less from a shoe if you're going to the Caribbean to sit on a beach while in port than you do if you're going to walk 8 miles around cobblestones or stony ruins in Europe. Or climb hundreds of steps (visit Meteora - it's amazing! - but bring REALLY GOOD shoes:D)

For April in Europe, going from Barcelona to Stockholm, I personally would bring hiking sandals (I'm still using my many-years-old Dansko Elenas) and goretex walking shoes (I have a couple pairs - haglofs, Merrells - would see how heavy I want based on my wardrobe and the weather forecast) Then I'd probably keep my Privo mary janes for use on the ship (if I were cruising) or for ports where I know I'm not walking too much - no more than ~3 miles if I wear those....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Two thoughts on shoes:

- I own several pairs of "walking sandals" such as other people have been suggesting. I love Tevas and Chacos; they're not cheap, but they last a long time. Since developing a nasty case of plantar fasciitis, I've started wearing Vionics too (even more expensive, and not quite as durable), also recommended by a number of posters. Their stuff tends towards more dressy. I love all of these, and while they're not as cute as little strappy flat sandals, you won't pay for it the next day in terms of pain.

In my experience, the things to look for are a (relatively) deep curved footbed, wider straps, and insole support.

- Slip-on Keds tennis shoes. Similar to Sperry Topsiders, but canvas. They're cute and work well with shorts, pants, or casual skirts. I've owned several pairs over the years, and you want the type with "stretch"; the plain canvas type is thicker and not so forgiving.

As for clothing, I'd go with a casual sundress (and a cardigan, since you may need to cover your shoulders to enter churches, etc.). I never wear crop pants; they make tall, willowy models look short and dumpy ... what do you think they do to the rest of us?

Edited by MrsPete

Consider Naot. They are leather, leather lined, have great support, and are cute. Yes, cute! I buy mine from Zappos. There's a good Naot USA website that shows the styles, describes the fit, and has a dealer locator. My Naot shoes are superb for cobblestones and I can easily wear them all day.

I have a pair of Chaco Outcross Evo I got (from Amazon, around $85). They are so comfortable but the very first trip I wore them (Portugal, some walking but not backwoods hiking or anything) the trim has worn down almost to nothing on the right shoe, and is markedly worn on the left shoe. I'm very bummed about that. I have no problem paying for quality comfortable shoes, but I expect them to look decent for more than 1 month after purchase.

The shoes are still structurally fine and quite comfortable, and I really hope it's just a defect in this specific pair, but I can say I'll be wary of the brand in the future.....Or at least of spending a lot on them;)