Passport or no?

For the girls,you also need permission from the parents. Be sure to find out what forms are actually needed.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

:D Pretty sure all of these "girls" are over 30 so not sure if the parents permission is needed :D

The one time fee for obtaining a passport..................for 9 1/2 years of usage (still cannot understand why you cannot use it in last 6 months), I vote for getting one.

Later

Later

There are MANY countries that don't have the 6 month rule. Many that I thought had it (or did have it, like Italy) don't anymore (or have it merely as a suggestion).

There are several caribbean nations who havre the 6 month rule. Cayman Islands,Haiti,Jamaica are some of the countries.

But have never had a problem in any of then

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/cayman-islands.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/jamaica.html

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/visitors/north_american_visitors.htm

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/haiti.html

None of those indicate the 6 month rule.

Someone mentioned Mexico. The page on our State Dept does say they have the 6 month rule.

If someone can't afford a passport then how will they possibly be able to pay for services in a foreign country in case of emergency?

Even with insurance you still have to pay out of pocket for medical care and then file for reimbursement.

If you miss the ship, you will need to pay out of pocket for a hotel and meals and to catch up with the ship or fly home (in which case you definitely need that passport).

I wouldn't set foot out of the country without my passport, insurance, a hefty credit line on multiple credit cards and a nice stash of cash for emergencies.

The funny thing is the OP asked do they need a passport for the Harmony cruise? Which really just requires a yes or no answer. Some did answer, No, which is correct. Why all the opinions? They didn't ask for opinions, or what people will do if ships are missed, pax get sick etc just a simple yes or no. Its fine to say why a passport is nice to have, but people can spend their money as they see fit, its none of our business why they do or don't get one or being pressured to get one. They are grown a## people, they can make choices for themselves, I think :o

Been on 10 cruises and don't have a passport, I do have a passport card which save larger families a lot of money.

There are MANY countries that don't have the 6 month rule. Many that I thought had it (or did have it, like Italy) don't anymore (or have it merely as a suggestion).

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/cayman-islands.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/jamaica.html

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/visitors/north_american_visitors.htm

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/haiti.html

None of those indicate the 6 month rule.

Someone mentioned Mexico. The page on our State Dept does say they have the 6 month rule.

Since someone may travel on a closed looped cruise to these countries with a birth certificate and government issued photo ID it would seem a bit of overkill/silliness to say that anyone with a passport would need to have 6 months remaining on it;).

Been on 10 cruises and don't have a passport, I do have a passport card which save larger families a lot of money.

save the families even more money and do not purchase the passport card as this works the same as a birth certificate/ drivers license

save the families even more money and do not purchase the passport card as this works the same as a birth certificate/ drivers license

CAUTION - CAUTION - CAUTION -

Watch out for the "Opinion Police"!

bosco

Just out of curiosity- because like I said we have our passports but anyway- what happens or what is the process if you have no passport and you miss a ship or you get injured and have to be flown out for emergency evacuation??

CAUTION - CAUTION - CAUTION -

Watch out for the "Opinion Police"!

bosco

serene56 made a factual statement, but did not mention that passport cards have three advantages over a birth certificate/government issued ID: 1) one document versus two; 2) good for both closed loop and open jaw sailings within the Western Hemisphere and for land border crossings; 3) one's information is already in the State Department system making it easier for them to verify you are who you say you are should you need help in an emergency.

Just out of curiosity- because like I said we have our passports but anyway- what happens or what is the process if you have no passport and you miss a ship or you get injured and have to be flown out for emergency evacuation??

There are provisions in the DHS regulations that give the State Department the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. One would need to contact the Consulate and obtain their assistance. How quickly you will get home depends upon the circumstances and what the Consulate needs to do to verify your identity.

serene56 made a factual statement, but did not mention that passport cards have three advantages over a birth certificate/government issued ID: 1) one document versus two; 2) good for both closed loop and open jaw sailings within the Western Hemisphere and for land border crossings; 3) one's information is already in the State Department system making it easier for them to verify you are who you say you are should you need help in an emergency.

Your point?

I was looking at a cruise next year with my young children. What do you guys do if you are traveling with a 5 and 8 year old? Obviously they are too young for a drivers license. I doubt a passport would give kids the 10 year window of use (just a hunch but the picture wouldn't stay the same for a 8 year old and an 18 year old). Sorry if this is a stupid question but haven't done a cruise with the kids before and this thread just made me wonder what most people do.

I was looking at a cruise next year with my young children. What do you guys do if you are traveling with a 5 and 8 year old? Obviously they are too young for a drivers license. I doubt a passport would give kids the 10 year window of use (just a hunch but the picture wouldn't stay the same for a 8 year old and an 18 year old). Sorry if this is a stupid question but haven't done a cruise with the kids before and this thread just made me wonder what most people do.

A children's passport (under 16) is only good for 5 years. Children under 16 do not need a photo ID, just a birth certificate.

Our grandchildren ages 3 thru 10 all have passports.

A children's passport (under 16) is only good for 5 years. Children under 16 do not need a photo ID, just a birth certificate.

Ah, the 5 year length makes more sense. I'll look into the cost. If a passport for a child is the same cost as an adult, I'll probably just skip them at this point.

Ah, the 5 year length makes more sense. I'll look into the cost. If a passport for a child is the same cost as an adult, I'll probably just skip them at this point.

It is the same price and when they get renewed they still have to show up in person (versus mail in renewal for adults). Oh, and both parents need to show up also.

Oh, and both parents need to show up also.

Our niece has traveled with us on several cruises when she was a minor. Only one of her parents could be there when her passport application was submitted.

A notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian along with a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that was presented to the Notary Public with Form DS-3053 was needed when the application was submitted.

Her "first" passport has been in her cruise scrapbook for about 12 or 13 years along with a zillion pictures. LOL

bosco

If someone can't afford a passport then how will they possibly be able to pay for services in a foreign country in case of emergency?

Even with insurance you still have to pay out of pocket for medical care and then file for reimbursement.

If you miss the ship, you will need to pay out of pocket for a hotel and meals and to catch up with the ship or fly home (in which case you definitely need that passport).

I wouldn't set foot out of the country without my passport, insurance, a hefty credit line on multiple credit cards and a nice stash of cash for emergencies.

A hefty line of credit on multiple cards and a nice stash of cash?

We are waiting on our passports to be approved, have trip insurance, but we only have 3 credit cards without hefty lines of credit- and savings (enough to pay for a few extra nights at hotel/flights home if missing boat and some extra), but not enough to pay for a medical evacuation! :eek:

If we waited until we had the money saved up to pay for anything that can happen on a trip, we'd never go anywhere. :p

Edited by dreday3

Our niece has traveled with us on several cruises when she was a minor. Only one of her parents could be there when her passport application was submitted.

A notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian along with a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that was presented to the Notary Public with Form DS-3053 was needed when the application was submitted.

Her "first" passport has been in her cruise scrapbook for about 12 or 13 years along with a zillion pictures. LOL

bosco

Thank you for the info.