Jade or Dawn? Help!

abcmom123

Turning to the experts at cc for help and advice:

We are looking to book a W. Carribbean trip for our family. I am trying to decide between going out of Houston on the Jade or out of New Orleans on the Dawn. I really like the idea of getting to visit New Orleans before departure and the itinerary also has an extra port of Costa Maya (bonus because our top must dos are to swim with dolphins and visit Mayan ruins so one more chance of ruins yeah!). But I don't know if we will like the Dawn. We were on the Pearl last year and our favorite places were the Spinnaker Lounge up front and the Great Outdoors to enjoy the views while eating. We have 2 boys (14 and 12) and they would like the slide on the Jade. We loved the Jewel class ships and don't know if we would enjoy the Dawn as much. I am torn between itinerary vs ship. Price difference is not enough to push me one way or the other. Please share your thoughts/experiences/advice. Thanks

This won't help much but I prefer Jewel class ships over Dawn class ships for many of the reasons you already listed.

Only advantage for me personally on Dawn class ships are SJ suites that are the best bang for buck in the whole fleet (also Garden Villas are the biggest in fleet, I had the fortune to cruise in one on Dawn - a total once in a lifetime experience) - without a suite I'd choose a Jewel class ship if the other itinerary isn't a total "must do" (the reason we've cruised on both Dawn class ships has been the reposition itinerary, very few other NCL itineraries possible for us call at ABC islands).

We are looking to book a W. Carribbean trip for our family. I am trying to decide between going out of Houston on the Jade or out of New Orleans on the Dawn. I really like the idea of getting to visit New Orleans before departure and the itinerary also has an extra port of Costa Maya (bonus because our top must dos are to swim with dolphins and visit Mayan ruins so one more chance of ruins yeah!). But I don't know if we will like the Dawn. We were on the Pearl last year and our favorite places were the Spinnaker Lounge up front and the Great Outdoors to enjoy the views while eating. We have 2 boys (14 and 12) and they would like the slide on the Jade. We loved the Jewel class ships and don't know if we would enjoy the Dawn as much. I am torn between itinerary vs ship. Price difference is not enough to push me one way or the other. Please share your thoughts/experiences/advice. Thanks

Since you'll be on the ship longer than you'd be in NO, sounds as if the Jade would be the better choice since there are more ship things you like.

I was on the Dawn many times and enjoyed each cruise, but your boys might prefer the Jade with its slides, and great outdoors.

The SJ suites are fantastic n the Dawn. I stayed in one for a 12 day repo cruise, but OTOH, I wish that the Spinnaker lounge was still up front with it's huge windows overlooking the sea. If you book one of these suites, you'll get to enjoy breathtaking views, albeit no balconies.

Hard choice to make.

Those are the only two NCL ships I have sailed on - hands down I would pick the Jade. While we really enjoyed our time in New Orleans before boarding the Dawn, there wasn't a whole lot we liked about the Dawn - especially the food and the buffet. We sailed on the Jade out of Venice and loved being able to sit outside while dining. We are older and did not travel with children, so I can't speak to what children might enjoy.

We have not been on the Jade (yet), but we like each of the Jewel class ships and, the Dawn, as well. Like a previous poster stated, the Dawn's SJ suites are a great value for the money (especially, I would say, for a family of 4).

Although we live close to the Houston port, I don't know for certain that selecting the Jade is YOUR best option. Some further points to ponder include

how/when you would be traveling prior to your embarkation. (MSY) Louis Armstrong Airport, is closer to the New Orleans port, than (HOU) Hobby airport or (IAH) George Bush International are to Bayport Cruise Terminal.

Many people find the distance and the area surrounding the port disappointing.

There are plenty of things to do in either city before/after your cruise, so how much time you will be on the ground in either area, costs of travel and accommodations in either city. might be part of your decision making process.

As the mother of 4 grown sons, and three small grandchildren, I would carefully weigh those travel plans and the boys "likes" before picking. If not spending much time in either city, I would pick the Jade (for the activities available to the entire family). But let your sons know that it can be a long drive to the cruise terminal.

The Dawn has it's own charms, but I would think that teens might find the Jade more to their liking.

We prefer the Jade to the Dawn. The Dawn is in need of refurbishing which is scheduled for May 2016 I believe. You aren't missing a ton with Costa Maya. It is remote, the port is "store bought" and not authentic, but the ruins we saw were pretty neat. Although you can not climb ruins in Mexico any longer.

Edited by herdingdogmom

That would be a hard call for me. We absolutely love sailing out of NOLA and walking around the Riverwalk the day before. So much to see and do. We also love Costa Maya and having those 4 ports are awesome on any cruise and we have done them many times.

As far as the ships, the Jade (and the Gem) are 2 of the ships I have yet to cruise on. However, we just returned from the Dawn (and have also sailed the Star, her sister ship) and IMO, the Dawn is my least favorite ship of the fleet (see my signature line for all that I have sailed so far...which is almost all of them). We have been on the Jade's sister ships (Pearl, Jewel) and liked them a lot more.

So hard call. :(

Thank you all for your help and insights. Not an easy decision, but so long as we're cruising we can't go wrong! Time to stalk the reviews and YouTube videos :rolleyes: I'm enjoying your Dawn review mitsugirly-thanks!

Thank you all for your help and insights. Not an easy decision, but so long as we're cruising we can't go wrong! Time to stalk the reviews and YouTube videos :rolleyes: I'm enjoying your Dawn review mitsugirly-thanks!

You are very welcome. Glad you are enjoying it. :)