Celebrity Equinox vs Norwegian Epic - Mediterranean

yonich

Short version: Which ship should I choose for a Mediterranean cruise in July 2016 – Celebrity Equinox or the Norwegian Epic? Cross posting to both boards to get varied opinions.

Long version: A bit about us – my husband and I (mid-30s) are leaving our kids behind for a weeklong vacation/10th anniversary celebration excuse. We like nice food and hate surcharges. We’ve cruised Carnival and Princess a few times through the Caribbean, and while we don’t take part in too much nightlife, we enjoy seeing a couple shows if we’re not exhausted from the day. We have never eaten at the specialty restaurants because I just don’t feel like paying another $15 pp – but I wouldn’t blink an eye if the cruise has been another $15 pp up front and included a free specialty meal, I guess it’s just my perceived idea of a good value. That being said, I like to dress up a bit and have a great meal service, never doing the buffet for dinner. We will, however, both pay for wifi, preferably unlimited, as we feel very anxious without it for both personal and business reasons.

I’m looking at these two ships for our first Mediterranean cruise, each a 7 night itinerary. Having not sailed on either line, we obviously have no perks or credits, and will be looking at a mid-range balcony (no concierge class, or suite, etc.) I doubt I will use the spa. As for the ports, I really can’t decide, I want to go to them all, and will find something exciting in each, there are no “must-do” cities, really. The rates are quite similar, and each include some promotion right now (free beverages, dining, wifi, etc).

I just can’t decide which one we will be happier on – my reservations for each are that Celebrity will have great dining but will be a much older crowd and that the great reviews are coming from cruisers paying twice as much for their cabin as I will… and that NCL will have better entertainment but won’t meet our dining expectations without paying extra constantly and having to figure out the freestyle system.

That said and done, today I’m leaning towards the Celebrity Equinox with their new promotion of either the Go Better or Best, just to pay for everything up front, and sit back and enjoy. Thanks so much for reading and for your opinions.

We have sailed on the Equinox on a Med Cruise and loved it. We didnt find the age group to be as old as you might expect. Plenty of families and couples and people in their '30's and forties.

Not sailed on NCL - just dont like the look of the ships, and just dont think it would suit us.

We did a Med cruise on the Reflection this past May. Eleven day and much younger crowd overall compared to 10 to 14 day cruises to the Caribbean. Several honeymooners, and ages seemed to range from 20's to 60's. A few elderly. You will enjoy Celebrity from your description of yourself and your husband.

We cruised the Mediterranean last year on the Equinox and did not find it an old crowd. It was a good mix across age groups. The ship had a nice atmosphere - upmarket without the stuffiness.

The food was good throughout. It is worth a splurge to eat at one of the speciality restaurants though.

Don't forget that Med cruises are port intensive so you won't have many sea days on either ship.

My brother is currently on the Epic. It carries over 4000 passengers - 2000 more than Equinox. More variety perhaps, but too many people for my liking.

Epic was the worst cruise I have ever been on. The boat is overcrowded and feels that way. The service is extremely impersonal and passengers are given a "you figure it out" vibe which leaves one floundering. The pool areas are disgusting and remind one of a bowl of human soup. One feels nickel and dimed the entire time. I love cruising and could not wait to get off the Epic. Norwegian lost my business based on that ship.

Your experience may be different but I would choose Celebrity over Norwegian and staying home over Epic.

We took a Western Med cruise on the Epic a couple years ago. Our general impression was the ship was nice. We ate in one specialty restaurant and that was not to our liking. The entertainment was excellent. For us, the customer service was no better or worse then other cruises, but much better than Carnival. Here's what will keep us from cruising on the Epic again - the stateroom.

There is a certain wow factor when you first get in the stateroom. And then you actually have to stay there. Most rooms have an S shaped wall. If you are lucky enough to have your bed near the balcony then you're a little better off. But if your bed is closer to the door that's another case. The toilet and shower are near the door however, in our case, one was on one side of the entry and the other on the opposite side. There was a curtain you could pull across the entry to shield the room from the hall if the door was open and to give additional privacy to anyone in the toilet or shower. The sink is actually in the stateroom portion. If your bed is near the door and someone is using the sink to get ready or clean up then no one can pass between the sink and bed. The other person must crawl over the bed to get by. Bottom line, if you choose the Epic then choose your stateroom wisely.

I just can’t decide which one we will be happier on – my reservations for each are that Celebrity will have great dining but will be a much older crowd and that the great reviews are coming from cruisers paying twice as much for their cabin as I will… and that NCL will have better entertainment but won’t meet our dining expectations without paying extra constantly and having to figure out the freestyle system.

I basically agree with your assessment. IMHO, Celebrity will have MUCH better food. I've been on celebrity Solstice, Summit, Equinox, and Silhouette. We have also been on the Norwegian Breakaway. We are in our 30's. The crowd on Celebrity was slightly older, but not that much. For example, we made good friends with a bunch on people in their 40s. Does a decade really matter? It's not like it's a nursing home filled with octogenarians. Honestly, in the Med we crammed so much into the port days, that the ship barely mattered to us.

I completely agree with your assessment that NCL will not meet your dining expectations. We were extremely disappointed with NCL food. One way around this would be to buy the Ultimate dining package up front. Then you could eat at only specialty restaurants, which in my opinion was equal in quality and variety to celebrity main dining room. I also agree that NCL will have much better entertainment.

I honestly think that either one will be enjoyable. I would pick the one with better ports, particularly starting port so you can enjoy for a few days before hand. I would only pick NCL if you get the ultimate dining package so can enjoy the better food, as that would eliminate your biggest worry.

So from your comments and those on the Norwegian board, I'm strongly leaning towards the Equinox. Thanks so much, I would appreciate any other opinions still, but I'm pretty sure my mind is made up. Now to customize everything else about our trip. :)

I have been on Epic for 15 nights and am cruising on Equinox later this year.

I love both NCL and Celebrity - totally different

I think Epic is an awesome ship - I know you said you would nt use the spa but a spa cabin on Epic is wonderful. A two minute wander in your robe takes you to a blissful space - fantastic after a day at port to find this tranquility.

The food - fab - SO many choices and if you add in their dining package (not expensive) you can then use all the a la carte restaurants including Le Bistro, Cagneys and my favourite Moderno The Churrascaria. The chinese is fab and so is the sushi bar.

I cannot figure how anyone could not love Epic but hey - different horses and all that.

Dress - resort casual - in 15 nights I never seen anyone - not one - who was shoddily dressed in ANY restaurant or public area

The Beatles show - is the best at sea - its worth cruising alone just for this show

There is so much choice

The cabins - I think are fine - the fuss over the shower is nonsense -

Celebrity is a different ball game - but being that this cruise is port intensive - Id go with best value on this one. Probably Epic.

NCLs drinks package is great - the Martini menu hmnom!!

and fab live music

Then there is the adult only white hot party back of the ship

Mid 30s? I'd choose Epic :)

We got off the Equinox in the Med last month. It was a wonderful cruise. We are in our mid 6os but there were lots of younger people on board. It's been years since we sailed NCL so I can't comment, but the Equinox has great food, entertainment, and crew. There was plenty of nightlife but we were also on a port intensive cruise so usually headed back to our cabin around 11 each night but there was still lots of people in the bars and cafe el Bacio was usually very crowded. Celebrity is a class act.

One of the deciding factors for me would be passenger count, I'm not sure which of the July 7 day cruises you are looking at, but they all feature at least one or two small ports or islands. Do you want to exit with 2800 people? Or 4100?

Trying to tender with 4100 others in Greece would be a logistical nightmare (Greek rules only permit the use of local tenders, hence, what should be a one or two hours process turns into a three or four hour one.)

Yes, in July, you will share the ports with lots of other tourists, but you needn't be exited the ship with all of them at once. :)

Enjoy, & plan on going back multiple times, we've literally restructured our lives around being able to travel to Europe every year. :)

We are a little older than you but enjoy a young crowd. We love Celebrity ,the ships are elegant and the passengers are in the main a mixed crowd on med cruises. Whilst there are extras to pay for speciality restaurants we have always dined in the main restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a large ship but doesn't ever feel crowded.Our teens seem to blend away into the crowds. I haven't sailed with Norwegian but I can recommend Celebrity.Check out all the reviews and am sure you'll make the right choice.

We are just off the Equinox last Saturday. My wife and I are in our early 30's and travelled with our 6 and 8 year old girls. This was our 1st cruise and the 4 of us loved it, so much so that we've booked up the Reflection for next year.

Prior to going my wife was concerned that we would be 1 of the few "youngsters" on board. Her outlook changed quickly once onboard. There was a great mix of ages and there was plenty of 30 something's on board.

The highlight for us was the dining in the MDR, it was outstanding with a wide range of options and quality wine each night.

Equinox for me.

A Med cruise is more about the ports and itinerary. Does one offer ports you are more interested in going to then the other? Again, being more port intensive (we've done them) we didn't always stay up to enjoy the entertainment as we were more interested in getting up bright and early for the next days touring. Shows and entertainment took a back seat in the decision making process. And having been on both lines, we found the dining experience far, far superior on "X". But as I said earlier, my primary consideration would be he itinerary.

Thank you Baltatcha and others - I appreciate all of the replies that we will not be the youngest cruisers, and that your kids were comfortable on it, too, While we are not bringing ours on this trip, we did take them this past winter on their first cruise. It is definitely something we want to do with them again, and while will may never be too brand-loyal, I have been looking for a new line to feel at home on.

Marco - you're definitely right, we are going not only for a nice vacation but to also see regions of Europe. My husband and I would like to see areas of Italy, and luckily its central location makes it a part of most Med cruises.