Solo RCI Cruisers - What's Been Your Experience...Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I'm surprised to hear about those who have had to call to get the double points ... Like clockwork, a week after my last 2 solo sailings, the double points were there in my account. I'm 7 points from Diamond, so this next sailing will put me over :D yay to happy hours!!

It happens occasionally to me that I don't get the double points but since last year, seems like they are always automatically there.

BUT, I still check right away and call if they didn't credit me correctly.

Warning - once you go solo it is so hard to share a cabin afterwards. :D

I went solo 3 cruises in a row and I just shared a cabin with my bestie. OMG!!! I wanted my solo cabin back!!?!?! She was fine and we were fine but after you have a cabin to yourself and your use to having your stuff spread out, the space and a king bed to yourself it's tough cutting the space in half.

You will love it! GO FOR IT!!!

I've recently sailed solo with RCCL and NCL, and I prefer RCCL by a mile because of traditional dining.

I'm fine eating breakfast and lunch alone, but I like company at dinner.

On RCCL I ask for a large table, late seating (fewer kids around). Mostly, my tablemates have been lovely. But when they're not, after the first night I'll discreetly ask the maître d' to move me. That usually works well because they've had a night to see how the tables are shaking out, who seems to be getting along, etc., and can make an informed switch.

On Norwegian Getaway with Freestyle, I ate all but 4 meals alone on a 7-night cruise, in spite of "meeting" many fellow CCers, mainly because many made reservations months in advance and their weeks were already all planned out.

I just drifted around with no reservations because, to quote Pretty Woman, I'm more of a "seat of the pants" kind of girl. :D

I don't think anyone has mentioned this advice yet: If you are looking for casual chat in the evening, have a drink sitting at any bar, rather than a table. Couple of reasons:

1) If nobody else does, the bartender will talk to you,

2) The bartender will introduce you to other solos who come along,

3) Other solos will tend to sit at the bar, rather than alone at tables, because they also want to meet people,

4) When you're at a table, people are reluctant to approach you, except to ask to steal all your empty chairs for their own group.

OK, that was more than a couple but, as others have said, you'll meet more people putting yourself in a position to be noticed (when you feel like it) than by sitting by yourself in a situation (like, at a table) where it looks like you're waiting for a companion.

My most embarrassing cruising moment as a solo was on HAL. I was sitting alone at a table for 4, a group came by and stole the other 3 chairs without even asking me, and left me sitting at this big table, only chair, feeling like a fool. From that moment on, I vowed, "Never again!" :mad:

I LOVE cruising solo if I can find a decent price. It's much harder on RCCL these days, but if you book far in advance or really watch for deals, they can be had.

Other than the expense, I love cruising Solo! I'm usually busy during the day and around 4p I go back to an empty, cool, cabin, and lay down on the bed for a nap! AAAAAH! It's amazing how much space there is when you are alone.

My Time Dining is the best as I can sit with old friends, new friends, or by myself. Even if you are at a two top, there is probably someone right next to you for conversation. I have made lots of friends playing trivia, especially progressive trivia.

In fact, our whole progressive trivia team is going on the Allure TA. Plus I have other friends that I've met in the last 5 years that are also on the cruise. It should be fun!

Go Solo and you will have a great time!

Alan

All my cruises have been solo, and I'm loathe to let anyone else come with me :) I only discovered Cruise Critic a couple of years ago, and had a blast even before I met all the great people from my roll calls.

Like others, I usually ask for a large table, late seating. Part of this is to meet people, and (silly/not silly reason) so that if I go missing there's a chance someone might notice!

I've only once been lonely on a cruise, and funnily it was a 7 day Mediterranean cruise - I've never quite been able to put my finger on what went "wrong" that time. I still had a nice holiday, but it wasn't as amazingly astounding as other cruises.

Love cruising solo. Have no real desire to have to meet or talk to anyone beyond the customary greetings. It is really a selfish vacation which I cherish once a year. This is when I really relax, unwind and do what I want to do when I want to do it. Other vacations can vary, but once a year, I love my solo cruise!

Warning - once you go solo it is so hard to share a cabin afterwards. :D

I went solo 3 cruises in a row and I just shared a cabin with my bestie. OMG!!! I wanted my solo cabin back!!?!?! She was fine and we were fine but after you have a cabin to yourself and your use to having your stuff spread out, the space and a king bed to yourself it's tough cutting the space in half.

You will love it! GO FOR IT!!!

Agreed!!!

I did my first Solo cruise a year ago with friends of ours since DH didn't want to go on a 7 day Coastal and we were within 6 months of a long awaited Australia Trip. I had no problem meeting people and had a fun week. I met our friends for dinner every night and we went on some tours together, but mostly I did my thing and they did theirs. Have a wonderful time.

Double check your C&A points about a week after you get back. Royal has a recurring "problem" where singles don't always get their double points automatically.

I'm glad you mentioned this! I didn't receive my double points for my February cruise. :mad:

I love love love love cruising solo. I've done solo land vacations as well and they're fun too, but the opportunity to really unwind at sea can't be beat.

The aspects I love most:

1) Following my own schedule/agenda at all times.

2) Being as social or antisocial as I want!

3) Catching up on my reading

4) Not jockeying for dresser/closet space :D

Nothing better, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by tiggeril
topic!

I have cruised solo five times. Twice on Allure, twice on Oasis, and a five day on Liberty. I loved it every time. However, different people have different expectations of solo cruising. I was looking for time on my own. Time to read, relax and not have to plan or coordinate. As such, I wasn't interested in meeting people. I wasn't opposed to a friendly conversation at the bar or poolside. But I didn't feel the need to seek it out.

I ate in specialty restaurants every night by myself, and planned that as part of the expense. I prefer specialty in general, but I also wasn't interested in being forced to dine with and meet a bunch of strangers. It just wasn't what I was after. I've heard mixed responses. Some people have great experiences, some people say it's so-so. I also wasn't interested in dining solo in the MDR, as the two tops are always right on top of each other. I chose to relax at a more leisurely paced meal, enjoy a drink and read.

I cruised in a suite. As a solo, I actually saw my stateroom as a more valuable place to spend time relaxing, so I wanted the space and terrace to enjoy.

I never had a problem finding a deck chair. Often I am up early and get my sun early before it's busy. But also, as a solo, you can almost always find one chair- it just might be a little walk from the pool. But a "long" walk from the pool is still less than a minute...

Shows, bars, lounges were great. Staff was always friendly, and always able to find space to relax.

Loved it!