Hurricane Rita, will carnival cancel???

aqalisa

OK, Im a little concerned, after getting rebooked on the Conquest after our original cruise (Elation) got cancellled. Only now to see the projections for Rita :( We are getting married on Saturday, and are all ready packed for the cruise! I hope it doesn't get cancelled!!!:(

Hang in there!

I wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you not to worry at all. I can only imagine how Rita would increase the stress in your life at this time. But nobody can know what will happen. Just hope for the best.

Did you buy travel insurance? (Please reply "yes".) Did you book your air with Carnival?

A lot can change in the next six days. Keep an eye on Rita and Carnival's web site. If a change has to be made, it will be for your safety and comfort. We'll hope that your honeymoon stays on schedule. But if a change has to be made, your cruise will likely embark from another port, or be shortened by a day or two.

Check the sticky at the top of the Carnival Forum about Rita. Looks like we will see her here in Texas this Saturday. I have been watching it and she keeps slowing down so it could be even later than Saturday. We are scheduled on the Elation on Saturday out of Galveston and are worried too! She has turned a little north on the last update at 8 am. http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/statements/mainadvisory/huradvisory3.htm

Hurricanes not covered under travel insurance? I think that's one of the biggest reasons people get it... ouch.

Don't stress out too badly. It has to be pretty totally bad for them to CANCEL a cruise because of a hurricane - I think it has to be the hurricane hitting the departure port directly. They might change your itinerary or something, a little bit, but they'll just do that to keep you safe.

Check the sticky at the top of the Carnival Forum about Rita. Looks like we will see her here in Texas this Saturday. I have been watching it and she keeps slowing down so it could be even later than Saturday. We are scheduled on the Elation on Saturday out of Galveston and are worried too! She has turned a little north on the last update at 8 am. http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/statements/mainadvisory/huradvisory3.htm

I thought the took Elation to NO? We are getting married saturday and don't need to deal with anymore :( Is this supposed to be a strong hurricane?

my travel agent said that hurricane's aren't covered under travel insurance, so i didn't

It is not covered if the storm is already named when you get it... Travel insurance is ALWAYS a good idea... ALWAYS, ALWAYS... for the $40, you get peace of mind, and if something does happen, you can recoup some of your expenses... not to mention the medical issues... thread on here yesterday about someone's mother breaking their hip off the ship... anything can happen. Best money you can spend when traveling.

It is not covered if the storm is already named when you get it... Travel insurance is ALWAYS a good idea... ALWAYS, ALWAYS... for the $40, you get peace of mind, and if something does happen, you can recoup some of your expenses... not to mention the medical issues... thread on here yesterday about someone's mother breaking their hip off the ship... anything can happen. Best money you can spend when traveling.

It's not a hurricane yet, and hopefully will not become one, and I wonder if that works?:confused:

OK, Im a little concerned, after getting rebooked on the Conquest after our original cruise (Elation) got cancellled. Only now to see the projections for Rita :( We are getting married on Saturday, and are all ready packed for the cruise! I hope it doesn't get cancelled!!!:(

I totally understand your concerns. Hopefully, no matter what the hurricane does you'll have a memorable wedding.

We had to wait 7 years before taking our honeymoon but 23 wonderful years later the lack of a great honeymoon just hasn't been that big of a thing. Make the best of what ever happens, it's good practice for marriage.

It's not a hurricane yet, and hopefully will not become one, and I wonder if that works?:confused:

Once the storm is named, it's not covered... in this case, she has been named so purchasing wouldn't cover it, I don't think...

Midget, go to insuremytrip.com. You can compare various policies... mine is generally $37pp.

Travel Insurance finds all kinds of ways to weasel out on you. I had it...and they weasled out on me right before Katrina...had to do with airfare changes and etc...it's best to totally READ the fine print and if you don't understand make a note and call them...speak to them directly...and then email them and keep a copy of their reply for your records.

I'll take my chances without insurance. If the port is closed and carnival cancels the cruise and flights are cancelled, then your money is going to be refunded anyway. If they shorten the cruise by a day or two, they will likely give us an option to cancel with a full refund....or else give a % off your next trip and some on board credits (they did all of that during the last hurricane).

I'm on the Conquest this Sunday too....and right now, I'm looking at alternate plans just in case things are cancelled or shortened. There are all kinds of great last minute deals out there...if I'm offered a refund due to cancellation or shortened cruise, I'll find me a last minute deal and book. I may have to change cruise lines....and from a balcony to an inside...I may have to go to a different itenerary and I may have more hassle embarking without documents in hand if I buy them late...but at least I'll be on my trip.

Insurance is so inexpensive considering the price of your cruise, not to mention the price of a med evacuation or a hospital stay. It gives me peace of mind, mainly to cover medical emergencies more so than a trip being changed or something. I would never take my chances. Just my opinion though.

Midget, go to insuremytrip.com. You can compare various policies... mine is generally $37pp.

How much medical do you use GC?

I get $50K in medical... I have an HSA, and most of my medical expenses are covered out of the country... the only thing I worry about is the medical evacuation, which most insurers won't cover, and when some of them cost upwards of $50K, I don't want to take my chances!!!!

It is best to know your policy and read the entire policy... once they send you the policy, you generally have 3 days to cancel it if it does not include everything you need.

Travel Insurance finds all kinds of ways to weasel out on you. I had it...and they weasled out on me right before Katrina...had to do with airfare changes and etc...it's best to totally READ the fine print and if you don't understand make a note and call them...speak to them directly...and then email them and keep a copy of their reply for your records.

I'll take my chances without insurance. If the port is closed and carnival cancels the cruise and flights are cancelled, then your money is going to be refunded anyway. If they shorten the cruise by a day or two, they will likely give us an option to cancel with a full refund....or else give a % off your next trip and some on board credits (they did all of that during the last hurricane).

I'm on the Conquest this Sunday too....and right now, I'm looking at alternate plans just in case things are cancelled or shortened. There are all kinds of great last minute deals out there...if I'm offered a refund due to cancellation or shortened cruise, I'll find me a last minute deal and book. I may have to change cruise lines....and from a balcony to an inside...I may have to go to a different itenerary and I may have more hassle embarking without documents in hand if I buy them late...but at least I'll be on my trip.

What are you looking at doing? I have a friend in Houston, but i've been there, we'd probably stay a few days, but i really want to travel... What things might you be looking at as alternatives?

I am looking at availabilities on other cruise lines and all inclusive resorts....last minute deals. In doing this, I am assuming the worst, that we'll be cancelled or delayed and offered refunds like they did with Katrina. I won't book anything new til I find that out for sure...and worst case scenario, I'll drive to Florida and stay on the beach for a week.

• 6 years later...

A direct (partial) quote of exclusions from one of the policies on line

"The following events:

• any problem or event that could have reasonably been foreseen or expected when you purchased your plan

• an epidemic or pandemic

natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, fires and floods "

I am looking at availabilities on other cruise lines and all inclusive resorts....last minute deals. In doing this, I am assuming the worst, that we'll be cancelled or delayed and offered refunds like they did with Katrina. I won't book anything new til I find that out for sure...and worst case scenario, I'll drive to Florida and stay on the beach for a week.

Carnival almost never cancels or allows you to cancel. I was on Conquest when Ike hit Galveston and never saw my car again. They would not update the location of Ike on the ship and communication was awful if you were stuck on the ship. They said follow it on TV, but I found that if you were not on the TV constantly you couldnt really follow it.

If you have not left yet, at least you have options.

Archived