Getting to know Royal

I will be taking my seventh cruise and second with Royal, first one was way back in 2000 so it feels like it's my first Royal cruise . As you can see I've cruised with Carnival and know what to expect.

Yesterday I stumbled onto a thread about laundry and irons and was surprised that Royal doesn't have self serve iron and laundry , I was also read a while back that there's no robes unless your in a suite, we're in a D2 cabin. I'm starting this thread so I can ask questions as I think of them as my cruise approaches and not start a new thread each time.

My first questions are,does Royal have a afternoon tea on sea days?

If we ask they will bring us robes to use. I like having one for sitting out on my balcony late at night when it's a little cool.

Are there bottles of water in your room for purchase?

Do they make the fun towel animals?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Midwestgal

I will be taking my seventh cruise and second with Royal, first one was way back in 2000 so it feels like it's my first Royal cruise . As you can see I've cruised with Carnival and know what to expect.

Yesterday I stumbled onto a thread about laundry and irons and was surprised that Royal doesn't have self serve iron and laundry , I was also read a while back that there's no robes unless your in a suite, we're in a D2 cabin. I'm starting this thread so I can ask questions as I think of them as my cruise approaches and not start a new thread each time.

My first questions are,does Royal have a afternoon tea on sea days?

If we ask they will bring us robes to use. I like having one for sitting out on my balcony late at night when it's a little cool.

Are there bottles of water in your room for purchase?

Do they make the fun towel animals?

Thanks in advance

Royal has afternoon snacks, which may include things like scones, but it's nothing like what I've read that Princess has.

You can ask for robes and they will try to accomodate you, but they may not have enough.

There is water in your mini-fridge, for something like $2 per 500ml.

Towel animals appear a few times per cruise.

I was also read a while back that there's no robes unless your in a suite, we're in a D2 cabin. I'm starting this thread so I can ask questions as I think of them as my cruise approaches and not start a new thread each time.

Thanks in advance

We were on FOS in April this year. We are C&A members (Platinum), and we had robes in our cabin-a balcony. I only mention our level to say that it wasn't a privilege just afforded to those at upper loyalty levels. I thought the robes were a C&A perk. I didn't know they were only issued to people in certain cabin classes.

I do note that it is says "subject to availability," but don't see that it mentions any restriction of cabin type where they are allocated. No doubt those in more expensive cabins and higher loyalty levels will get first priority in allocating them, but see no mention that they are a "suite" perk rather than loyalty perk.

Ok thanks.

Carnival does a nice afternoon tea in the MDR and we always enjoy it.

I'll be sure to ask our room stew for 2 robes as soon as we see him/her. As far as suites I couldn't imagine robes not being an automatic thing, but I'm sure your right as far as C & A perk.

Think the towel animals are fun , on Breeze the morning we disembarked we went to the pool very early in morning and most of the chair had animals on them ....it was pretty funny.

Edited by Midwestgal

We were on FOS in April this year. We are C&A members (Platinum), and we had robes in our cabin-a balcony. I only mention our level to say that it wasn't a privilege just afforded to those at upper loyalty levels. I thought the robes were a C&A perk. I didn't know they were only issued to people in certain cabin classes.

I do note that it is says "subject to availability," but don't see that it mentions any restriction of cabin type where they are allocated. No doubt those in more expensive cabins and higher loyalty levels will get first priority in allocating them, but see no mention that they are a "suite" perk rather than loyalty perk.

Robes are given to those at Platinum level or higher, and those in Junior Suites or better.

Edited by clarea

If you want a robe, ask for a robe. If it's available, your steward will get you one. It's supposed to be a suite/C&A perk but we weren't denied robes in our promenade cabin on our first RC cruise when we asked. A wallet size picture of a dead president or two can be very convincing if your steward hesitates.

Edited by JulieRose

I know about the show's onboard but in the past I thought I've seen and read about things like deck white party and some parades , is this on all sailings ?

If so what exactly is it?

What time are cabins ready ?

On embankment day where's the best place to get lunch, I've seen something on a Roast beef sandwich that's pretty good?

I know about the show's onboard but in the past I thought I've seen and read about things like deck white party and some parades , is this on all sailings ?

If so what exactly is it?

What time are cabins ready ?

On embankment day where's the best place to get lunch, I've seen something on a Roast beef sandwich that's pretty good?

Staterooms are usually ready 1pm to 1:30pm.

On Allure, complimentary food upon boarding is at Windjammer (buffet), Solarium Cafe (buffet), Wipeout Cafe, Boardwalk Dog House, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade. Sorrento's, and Vitality Cafe.

Edited by clarea

:)

Park Café has the Roast Beef Sandwiches and Build Your Own Salads. (You point out what you want and they do the building.)

I love this thread... I'm also in the same position... 1st cruise was with Royal in 2003, then the rest with Carnival, and I have my 7th cruise booked with Royal next spring break. I have to say I'm kind of nervous! I hope that I'll have the same kind of fun I have all day long and all night long as I have on Carnival. I kind of had a moment with some not very fun people on Royal the first time. But overall, it was a great cruise but I was also on my honeymoon... I'm more about having fun and meeting new people now than a romantic vacation like I was before.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I think there will be things we won't like about Royal and things that will be just different but overall I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Allure strictly due to the entertainment.

I think for us Carnival became just the same old thing, however I have never had a bad cruise on Carnival, just looking for something new.

I'm trying to prepare myself for the little things that are different like the no laundry and iron, I'm really happy I found this out before hand so I can change my routine on packing.

I can't wait to board Allure and say WOW !

I think there will be things we won't like about Royal and things that will be just different but overall I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Allure strictly due to the entertainment.

I think for us Carnival became just the same old thing, however I have never had a bad cruise on Carnival, just looking for something new.

I'm trying to prepare myself for the little things that are different like the no laundry and iron, I'm really happy I found this out before hand so I can change my routine on packing.

I can't wait to board Allure and say WOW !

You will most definitely board the Allure and say WOW! And then quickly discover that 7 days is just not enough for the ship. :p

And now I am drooling thinking of that roast beef sandwich.

There is more similarities then differences between the cruise lines. And the Allure is not something that you can fairly compare to any other ship (well, except the Oasis of course! lol)

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you bring your own hairdryer on the ship? I imagine they have them in each cabin but my friend likes her's and will be bringing it along.

Yes, no problem bringing a hairdryer, curling iron, or hair straightener.

• 4 weeks later...
Just deck numbers.

Ok thanks, that's what it looked like to me but thought I missed something.

There's a couple that are interested in going on the cruise with us but he's a smoker. I told him you can not smoke on the balcony only in designated areas, his reply was " I was told your not allowed to and if the catch you, you get a fine...I'll pay the fine"

I told him I think you can get thrown off the ship also , he laughed and said "that would never happen" . I just rolled my eyes , what's the big deal to smoke where you told to smoke. Am I wrong on the smoking thing? My cabin mates is a smoker but I've already warned her about not smoking but this guy put the idea in her head it was ok. I don't smoke and now I'm a little concerned she might try it, I don't want to get into a argument on the ship over this.

• 2 months later...
Ok thanks, that's what it looked like to me but thought I missed something.

There's a couple that are interested in going on the cruise with us but he's a smoker. I told him you can not smoke on the balcony only in designated areas, his reply was " I was told your not allowed to and if the catch you, you get a fine...I'll pay the fine"

I told him I think you can get thrown off the ship also , he laughed and said "that would never happen" . I just rolled my eyes , what's the big deal to smoke where you told to smoke. Am I wrong on the smoking thing? My cabin mates is a smoker but I've already warned her about not smoking but this guy put the idea in her head it was ok. I don't smoke and now I'm a little concerned she might try it, I don't want to get into a argument on the ship over this.

Your friend may want to reconsider smoking on the balcony. If he has neighbors that complain, I think he will regret that decision. It's just as easy to smoke where it's allowed.