Advice needed on how best to deal with Viking lack of customer service

MalibooNewYork

Amazing how so many are giving this person grief about this. She doesn't want the aggravation of a printer. Give her a break.

Thought the info being given was helpful! Many people don't know you can have an inexpensive printer that can function wirelessly from a variety of devices.

I also hope these folks have a local TA who will provide them with everything they need to be able to board the ship and enjoy their cruise. And not be disappointed about things they needed to know in advance.

Edited by JVilleGal

I need help on how best to solve my small (I think) problem with Viking's lack of help.

My friend and I are booked on an October Danube Waltz tour. Our arrangements have been finalized and sent to us by email. This is our problem: both of us are elderly. We are barely computer literate. NEITHER of us has a printer. We like using hard copies. I have encountered a real reluctance on viking's part to mail hard copies in the past but, nevertheless, asked for hard copies from customer service in June explaining all of the above. They were promised but have never arrived -- just more emails. I don't think my request is outlandish considering the dollars we're spending with Viking.

How can I get my hard copies? And, at this point, am rethinking any future business with Viking.

Thank you.

Good advice. I did book with the cruise line and and the person I worked with was most uncooperative. He clearly did not want one extra iota of work. So, won't book directly with Viking again. And, as this is the second time this has happened I can only conclude that they aren't interested in having us as customers.

I have emailed Viking and will call on Monday morning and speak to a supervisor.

Dear MalibooNewYork,

We’re sorry to hear of your frustration with getting printed copies of certain documents. We recall that last year you had some pre-cruise concerns regarding your Bordeaux voyage and that you spoke with a member of our Customer Relations team to work through those concerns. We hope you don’t mind, but after reading your posts here we have asked Customer Relations to contact you again to find out what exactly it is that you would like printed. If they can help (and we’re guessing they surely can) they will do so happily.

And though we’ve said it before, we’ll risk being repetitive and say it again: please feel free to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com should you need us.

We hope you and your friend are looking forward to your upcoming cruise! We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard once again!

Kindest regards,

Viking Cruises

One final answer. Viking has respond to my simple and reasonable request for a printed version of our flight arrangements. I should get them shortly and I believe them.

I wanted them early so I can look them over on the comfort of my dining room table. I like to have paper, not screen, for comparison purposes. I think almost anyone could understand this.

My frustration with Viking is their obvious reluctance to go beyond email for communication purposes. I know I will have my info sent out 45 days before my trip but both of us wanted it in June (understanding that things might change) just so we could look it over.

So, I will have my hard copies soon (Hear that, Casey12? Using computer lingo, I must be more capable than I say I am). Viking's reputation for customer service has gone down a notch for me, needlessly, I must say and after being a diehard Viking fan because our first cruise was so much fun. Our next cruise will have to overcome the bad taste left in my mouth.

As for getting a printer. I will after I learn how to use my Tracfone.

I'd like to give an update. Viking more than came through and Fedexed our flight arrangements which came today. My friend and I are going to go over them together tomorrow morning. She lives in a different city which made having paper copies even more important to us.

I've already thanked Viking and the flight arrangements look great.

shame you can't undo this thread

which many will stop reading at your unhappy place

why don't you start a new one that says "Viking came thru for me" ?????

or like a newspaper who prints something wrong .... the redaction is in section two page 5 ......

Viking more than came through

I'm curious why you think Viking more than "came thru"--like sending docs was some heroic action on Viking's part? Their customer wanted a hard copy of her trip sent to her and it took several attempts for her to get it. No cause to wave the flag as I see it but mediocre client service at best.

Edited by Kathie859
Spelling fail

I'm curious why you think Viking more than "came thru"--like sending docs was some heroic action on Viking's part? Their customer wanted a hard copy of her trip sent to her and it took several attempts for her to get it. No cause to wave the flag as I see it but mediocre client service at best.

Oh my :)

I don't think they came thru

VIKING sends GREAT documents IME ..... as compared to CUNARD and several of the cheapo's

The only time I got better documents ahead of time was with WINDSTAR

With CUNARD recently I got ZILTCH hard copy and that despite calling them several times . . .

you ARE entitled to your opinion . . . as am I

I don't think they came thru

VIKING sends GREAT documents IME ..... as compared to CUNARD and several of the cheapo's

The only time I got better documents ahead of time was with WINDSTAR

With CUNARD recently I got ZILTCH hard copy and that despite calling them several times . . .

you ARE entitled to your opinion . . . as am I

And I always thought Cunard was the "Blue Riband" of cruise lines....FYI Celebrity sends them about 30 days ahead of time. Since I don't use their air, I really don't need them further out than that.

I think when so many folks are experiencing huge issues on the rivers of Europe with all the companies, to come to CC and complain about wanting paper documents "early" when a neighbor or the library could have gotten these in about two minutes ... It's just over the top!

Viking (and all the rest) are dealing with true emergencies and this OP can't print her papers... Talk about 1st world problems!

I think when so many folks are experiencing huge issues on the rivers of Europe with all the companies, to come to CC and complain about wanting paper documents "early" when a neighbor or the library could have gotten these in about two minutes ... It's just over the top!

Viking (and all the rest) are dealing with true emergencies and this OP can't print her papers... Talk about 1st world problems!

Love it! :p

As I said earlier, one small purchase of a printer (small as in compared to the cost of the cruise $99 vs $$$$) would have made this a non issue.

Glad the OP and her friend got their paperwork and all is well.

we all have differing opinions about what good customer service means. for some it may not even be an issue. however if I wanted a service provider to supply documents in paper form and was told to buy a printer!! not sure I would be pleased, just saying.

Without taking sides on this issue, I cannot conceive of having a PC or Mac without a printer.

Also if it shows up on your monitor, you can always get a screen print!

Or know someone with a printer?

This made me laugh so hard!

I still can't grasp the fact that someone who can figure out a computer enough to complain on CC has trouble with printing their own documents. SMH

To be fair to the OP she has every right to expect Viking's customer service department to do something as simple as getting her paper work to her in a timely fashion and by way of "snail mail" if that is her chosen method.

I'm not sure which cruise line I have sailed (?) but one of them RCCL or ??? Actually charged $25 to get PAPER docs rather than E-DOCS. For me I would rather print them out immediately at home than wait for the U.S. mail that may never come.

Coming on CC to complain about such a silly thing is where I have an issue.

Asking for hard copies of one's itinerary hardly seems like a whim to me. (a) The OP paid thousands of dollars for a cruise; the OP is asking for a piece of paper, not some specialized diet or super-duper room. (b) Viking said that they would provide the itineraries, and did not follow up. As for the others who were questioning the OP's veracity (I'm not sure how else to take some of the comments re. his/her lack of a printer or computer competence), I know several individuals - most of them of retirement age - who can post on discussion boards but who have not mastered wifi. And why purchase a printer in order to print out documents that a company has promised to provide? That just seems like so much consumer waste ... Yes, one could go to a library, but again - why should one have to when the company has said that they will provide the documents?

we all have differing opinions about what good customer service means. for some it may not even be an issue. however if I wanted a service provider to supply documents in paper form and was told to buy a printer!! not sure I would be pleased, just saying.

I have to admit, I wouldn't be pleased either. I don't think there's any way such response could qualify as "good customer service"...

To be fair to the OP she has every right to expect Viking's customer service department to do something as simple as getting her paper work to her in a timely fashion and by way of "snail mail" if that is her chosen method.

I'm not sure which cruise line I have sailed (?) but one of them RCCL or ??? Actually charged $25 to get PAPER docs rather than E-DOCS. For me I would rather print them out immediately at home than wait for the U.S. mail that may never come.

Coming on CC to complain about such a silly thing is where I have an issue.

Well, to be fair to Viking, OP asked for the documents for an October cruise in June. The documents would be sent at some point, just not on OP's timetable.

I understand being excited/anxious and wanting to see everything in advance. That's why I went to Uniworld's website and printed out the Cruise Companion months before our cruise. Sure, they were sending a copy, but since I wanted it earlier, it was up to me to print it. I daresay I am on the younger end of the river cruising demographic, but I prefer paper as well.