Mobile Phones at sea

Londongirl8

Can anyone tell me which mobile phone networks on PAYG not a contract work while you are at sea. I have checked with my network which is 02 they don't work at sea. We need to keep contact back home as we have a family member not very well. We hopefully just need to be able to text to find out how they are. I know we could wait till in the ports but I would rather be in contact.

Remember that, however you call home (mobile, cabin phone, or internet) it will always go through the ship's satellite system, which is always expensive. There is no other way to use a mobile (unless it's a sat phone) because there are no phone masts. O2 may be saying they don't work at sea at all, or they may be saying they don't work at sea unless there is a satellite provider handy who will charge you for the use.

Whilst at sea, you should be able to connect to the ship's maritime network. I don't know whether pay as you go allows you to do this. It is however quite expensive. In port, with international roaming, you should be able to automatically connect to a local network which is probably cheaper. It would be a good idea to contact O2 to make sure you can do this with your pay as you go phone. There is a phone in each cabin that you can use. However, this is very expensive but in an emergency I guess such expense is not a major consideration. I wouldn't suggest using it for anything but an emergency.

We only use our mobile for texts when cruising, this can work whilst at sea but not always. P&O ships mobile is normally quite good, but Celebrity's is very poor, we returned from Eclipse last week and I had to switch off and re-boot my phone the next day as mine was still linked to Celebrities maritime service and neither sending nor receiving messages.

I can't see any reason why you won't be able to connect with any phone. You phone will locate the signal of the ships network. You should be able to use for phone and text except that the charges will be much more than normal so just ensure you have sufficient credit.

I turn off my contract phone (whilst making sure it is first turned to airplane mode in case it turns itself on and runs up a huge data bill) as soon as we leave Southampton. I then use my cheap Vodaphone PAYG mobile for any emergency text messages from home. Only the people who really need it have the number for this phone. It usually connects to the ships satellite signal fine and we use free WIFI in port to check all is still ok at home.

I would recommend Three 'Feel at Home' - I think you are going to Norway, which is included in this package - costs £15 PAYG and gives you 300min talk (back to the UK) unlimited txts I think and 25gb data.

as previously stated any phone will connect to the marine network when out of range of a land base station

but when in port there is no other package that comes close to this for value

I am using this package in the med later this week and have previously used it in the US.

I second the Three sim card - it's great in the Med to be able to use Viber/Whatsapp and post show off Facebook pics etc. Just to mention that the £15 addon is valid for 1 month. I use PAYG and top up £5 at a time as they give 150mb data with every topup. The sim card is known as 321 which is 3p per min calls, 2p per text and 1p per mb of data. You'll need to unlock your phone. If you have an iphone you won't be able to do it.

Three pay as you go does not work on maritime network. Contract does though, this info Is available on threes website and from my personal experience

Vodafone payg works and is 50p to send a text £1.30 per mi to call. Calling from the cabin phone is now £2.50 min.

I never use the Maritime network - just wait for a land network.

Incidentally in the middle of the Atlantic last year on Ventura, I was able to send and receive gmails without paying for ship's internet.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk