Balcony Question

Beth8649

If one dropped a cell phone, tablet or eye glasses on the balcony, would they possibly end up in the ocean? Is there any protective structure, molding, on the floor ocean side to prevent dropped items from falling into the water?

If one dropped a cell phone, tablet or eye glasses on the balcony, would they possibly end up in the ocean? Is there any protective structure, molding, on the floor ocean side to prevent dropped items from falling into the water?

Not really. It's going in the ocean or onto the pier if something is dropped.

On the Vista and Signature Class ships there is a drainage trough (about 8 inches wide by 3/4-inch deep with a few slotted drains on the sea side of the balcony. This keeps water from collecting on the balcony and could stop something from rolling off of the balcony.

The bottom of the railing glass comes down to just about six inches above the drainage trough.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ellieanne, Crew News & Stratheden! I'm unable to see that drainage trough clearly, but I do follow how the balcony is structured and how there could be 2 different opinions.

I was hoping to use my cell phone to read a book on the balcony, but I can't afford to chance losing it. I guess I better borrow a library book or take my cheap $90 tablet. I did order a MoKo waterproof case with lanyard, but I doubt the lanyard will be long enough to allow reading a book comfortably.

Thank you, both, very much!

Added:

Just figured it out. I'll wear a belt & hook the lanyard to the belt.

Edited by Beth8649
Added to post

Thanks, Ellieanne, Crew News & Stratheden! I'm unable to see that drainage trough clearly, but I do follow how the balcony is structured and how there could be 2 different opinions.

I was hoping to use my cell phone to read a book on the balcony, but I can't afford to chance losing it. I guess I better borrow a library book or take my cheap $90 tablet. I did order a MoKo waterproof case with lanyard, but I doubt the lanyard will be long enough to allow reading a book comfortably.

Thank you, both, very much!

Added:

Just figured it out. I'll wear a belt & hook the lanyard to the belt.

Ohh, I misread your question. I was thinking you were standing on the balcony looking over the rail. Things are definitely going over the side then. If you're sitting on the balcony, and what you drop is not prone to rolling, then chances are it's not going over the side unless the seas are unusually rough or the ship is pitched sharply (in which case, I doubt you would be out on the balcony with droppable things anyway).

My mom dropped her cell phone several times and Dad has dropped books and his eyeglasses and they've been able to catch them before anything fell off.

Thank you again, Ellieanne, Stratheden, and Krazy Kruizers! Yes I see the pic fine now and it is super helpful along with the info that no one has had the problem of dropped items on a balcony falling into the ocean. Thanks again!!!

Are you asking about dropping something outside or inside the railing? If outside, on some balcony cabins of Vista and Signature ships, it might get caught by a section of deck 4 that sticks out about 1.5 feet ... but most likely it's going into the water or onto the pier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60199&d=1192653555

Edited by jtl513

If you're sitting down, it would have to bounce just right in order to make it through the little opening. That would be my luck, though, as I'd watch my phone bounce, do a little wave goodbye, and then spiral into the ocean with only a teeny splash, garnering a 9.6 from the Russian judge. I use my Blackberry Playbook - there's no way that thing is going to sneak under the railing and escape!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

One of the first things to go in the safe is my dumb phone. I don't text, I don't tweet and I don't use internet apps. That is the sure way I won't drop it overboard.

One of the reasons we cruise is to be cut off from the cares of the day to day world. I do not use phone nor carry my computer.:eek:

I wonder if one would save money if their cell phone went overboard as opposed to paying the ridiculous charges for cell phone service on a cruise.

Which bring up a question to OP: Are you are of the cost of using your cell phone at sea? Or were you thinking of dropping it while in port?

True story which just happened on my daughter's July 4th RCI cruise. Her friend put her pool cover-up out on her balcony (first time cruiser:o:o:o), and poof she saw her cover-up fly off the balcony and sail into the ocean with her license and credit card.

Next day, she goes to get off the ship, and they scan her keycard and tell her she needs to go up to the main office. Lo and behold ---someone had found the 2 cards on their balcony and was honest and brought them to the main office. Lucky, lucky lady!!!:eek:

True story which just happened on my daughter's July 4th RCI cruise. Her friend put her pool cover-up out on her balcony (first time cruiser:o:o:o), and poof she saw her cover-up fly off the balcony and sail into the ocean with her license and credit card.

Next day, she goes to get off the ship, and they scan her keycard and tell her she needs to go up to the main office. Lo and behold ---someone had found the 2 cards on their balcony and was honest and brought them to the main office. Lucky, lucky lady!!!:eek:

Good story, with a fortunate outcome.

Goes to show how, when someone tosses something "overboard", it can easily blow back onto the ship. What a mess can be made so thoughtlessly.