wifi on the Noordam

May B

Wifi at sea (on any ship) most closely resembles the bad old days of dial-up - pricey and slow.

Reliability has more to do with where the ship is since it's using satellite communication. For eample, doing an Antarctic cruise you'd have several days of no contact.

Wifi at sea (on any ship) most closely resembles the bad old days of dial-up - pricey and slow.

Reliability has more to do with where the ship is since it's using satellite communication. For eample, doing an Antarctic cruise you'd have several days of no contact.

That's a good way to describe it -- pricey and slow! which is what I expected.

The planned cruise is Vancouver round trip, embarkation on Aug. 1st, north to Alaska. :)

We will be sailing 21 days to Sydney on Noordam from San Diego & we will not use the Wifi at all;) .We will wait until we arrive in Sydney .:D

At sea the WiFi connections are far too slow & too expensive:o

I was on the Noordam last December and the wifi was quite acceptable. Since then the Noordam has had a drydock, when the newer service may have been installed. I would not assume that it is as bad as several years ago.

Dennis

I was on the Noordam last December and the wifi was quite acceptable. Since then the Noordam has had a drydock, when the newer service may have been installed. I would not assume that it is as bad as several years ago.

Dennis

Agree. The wifi has sped up. Is it broadband speed? No, probably never will be. But it has improved considerably.

Dennis

The major problem with WIFI at sea on an7y ship is the location of the Satellite in relationship to the ships positions .If the ship is on the wrong side of the globe ,it is not good at all . We got that definition from a officer in charge of a cruise ships WIFI :eek:

The major problem with WIFI at sea on an7y ship is the location of the Satellite in relationship to the ships positions .If the ship is on the wrong side of the globe ,it is not good at all . We got that definition from a officer in charge of a cruise ships WIFI :eek:

Additionally & imo ,the cost of at Sea WIFI is just not worth it :eek:

On the Noordam just two months ago in Alaska the internet speed in both our aft verandah stateroom and the Neptune Lounge was some of the very slowest we have encountered in nearly seven years sailing with HAL.

Being on a B2B, we saved all of our graphic items or long posts for our cell phones while in Alaskan ports.