NCL Vs. other lines drastic changes

rydan

I haven't seen the prices increase that much as people say on here and I look at prices all the time in NCL. People say it's double and triple what it used to be and that is exaggeration on their part. I am always looking for my next cruise and the fares and though j have seen the prices rise a little they are not out of line what they used to be.

And with the suites I can't compare with other lines. I don't knock other lines because I can't compare except what I see on their websites but once I was in the haven on NCL I was hooked from that moment on.

As a regular traveler you wouldn't see the changes I see. I am a flight attendant with an airline. Therefore, cruise lines offer a highly discounted rate to employees of airlines, called an "interline rate." Without a valid airline employee ID card and without access to something called ID90 you have no idea what i'm talking about. Every cruise line I sail on offers these rates, however NCL has decided to eliminate them. So therefore when I have to go to paying the current price thats offered to everyone else, NCL is double and even on some of the itineraries I've looked its triple. So yes for me the price has doubled or even tripled, and VASTLY more expensive than CCL, RCI, or MSC since they currently offer interline rates.

Now, a little background. My parents last year paid $900pp for a balcony on the Getaway. The exact same week this year was over $1500pp for a balcony. Thats an $1100 price increase for the same room in a years time. You might see that as a little, but that is a drastic price increase.

Perhaps you failed to compare the interline rates with regular rates. The poster who stated that the rates were DOUBLE OR TRIPLE for them was referring to NCL eliminating the interline rates.

Myopinion of suites is that they are a gross waste of money. I can get 21 to 28 days cruising in an inside for the same price as 7 days in a suite, so I see absolutely no value in booking a suite. That is my decision, and has no bearing on how others choose to allocate their vacation funds.

Thank you...should have read your response before I responded!

And with the suites I can't compare with other lines. I don't knock other lines because I can't compare except what I see on their websites but once I was in the haven on NCL I was hooked from that moment on.

If thats the case maybe you need to take those NCL rose colored glasses off or change your homepage from NCL.com. As I've mentioned numerous times the MSC Yacht Club compares to the Haven by NCL in every way possible. Its also under the price point of the Haven.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

That's right. It is how you want to spend your money in a vacation. I can't cruise 3 or 4 times a year mostly 1 to 2 times because of work. For me a suite is worth it for others maybe not. If I was cruising 4 or 5 times a year then maybe a suite is not worth it unless I have lots and lots of money and lots and lots of time to cruise. But for me and maybe others we find that the suites are worth what you spend.

This is us 1-2 times a year and the Haven is still to expensive.

Currently for a family of 4 the Escape Haven, the week we are cruising, is $9000 + no thanks

Now if we could go the week later its only $7000+

Again that's pretty dear.

If thats the case maybe you need to take those NCL rose colored glasses off or change your homepage from NCL.com. As I've mentioned numerous times the MSC Yacht Club compares to the Haven by NCL in every way possible. Its also under the price point of the Haven.

To compare for the same week the Divina Yacht club, at the lowest price point (which is what I used for the Escape Haven-the lowest Haven cabin_

is, for a family of 4

$5692

But the Divina does not have some of the things my kids would want. ropes course, water park, multiple slides, etc...

So that is not an option now...later?

The MSC Seaside will have those things but its 3 years away. :(

That's right. It is how you want to spend your money in a vacation. I can't cruise 3 or 4 times a year mostly 1 to 2 times because of work. For me a suite is worth it for others maybe not. If I was cruising 4 or 5 times a year then maybe a suite is not worth it unless I have lots and lots of money and lots and lots of time to cruise. But for me and maybe others we find that the suites are worth what you spend.

I have broken down the cost of a suite into the components that a suite offers as opposed to an inside cabin, and am unable to justify the cost of each additional item that the suite gives me. I will continue to book the inside cabins and enjoy the ship and ports. The very expensive amenities that are included with a suite just don't attract my interest enough to dispense the extra funds.

This is us 1-2 times a year and the Haven is still to expensive.

Currently for a family of 4 the Escape Haven, the week we are cruising, is $9000 + no thanks

Now if we could go the week later its only $7000+

Again that's pretty dear.

No I wouldn't spend $9000 for a cruise or even $7000. I look for non high volume times where I can get a great deal. I know not everyone can do that but it is supply and demand. When I go to Orlando in the summer the hotel raise are almost double but if I go in off season the rates are more reasonable.

I will take my son out school for a week to avoid high demand seasons and still make him do his homework[emoji6]

You are right, it is how you want to spend your money on vacation. I spend mine on a suite, because I could never cruise in an inside cabin...I would go crazy if I didn't have a balcony and a large cabin and my life is a vacation....I'm retired. Edited by NLH Arizona

No I wouldn't spend $9000 for a cruise or even $7000. I look for non high volume times where I can get a great deal. I know not everyone can do that but it is supply and demand. When I go to Orlando in the summer the hotel raise are almost double but if I go in off season the rates are more reasonable.

I will take my son out school for a week to avoid high demand seasons and still make him do his homework[emoji6]

Unfortunately its my work that restricts us. But we also take the kids out of school for that week.

As it is we are spending about $3200 for a M6 mini suite with large balcony on Escape, with the free udp, and when we booked that seemed reasonable and in line, although a little bit higher) with our last cruise on the Carnival Breeze (a great cruise for the kids) when we got a Spa Balcony (great option for the adults) and it was an 8 day cruise not 7.

Now the price for the same cabin is

$4666 :eek: and now with a bunch of weak promo's IMO - nothing like the free UDP

$1400 dollars more...

Edited by legion3

Okay, that makes sense why you don't see the summer prices, which IMO, are double/ triple over last year's prices. Yes, the off-peak prices are actually lower or the same as last year's, depending on supply and demand. I too don't travel during the summer months & holidays especially Christmas because 1) too expensive and 2) too many crazies coming out the woodworks - so you know my patience wears thin in the morning and evening during those times especially during the weekdays in Mid-town Manhattan...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

As a regular traveler you wouldn't see the changes I see. I am a flight attendant with an airline. Therefore, cruise lines offer a highly discounted rate to employees of airlines, called an "interline rate." Without a valid airline employee ID card and without access to something called ID90 you have no idea what i'm talking about. Every cruise line I sail on offers these rates, however NCL has decided to eliminate them. So therefore when I have to go to paying the current price thats offered to everyone else, NCL is double and even on some of the itineraries I've looked its triple. So yes for me the price has doubled or even tripled, and VASTLY more expensive than CCL, RCI, or MSC since they currently offer interline rates.

Now, a little background. My parents last year paid $900pp for a balcony on the Getaway. The exact same week this year was over $1500pp for a balcony. Thats an $1100 price increase for the same room in a years time. You might see that as a little, but that is a drastic price increase.

That is a huge increase and I agree, they have raised prices and cut perks more in 6 mos since Fdr than others do in years.

Okay, that makes sense why you don't see the summer prices, which IMO, are double/ triple over last year's prices. Yes, the off-peak prices are actually lower or the same as last year's, depending on supply and demand. I too don't travel during the summer months & holidays especially Christmas because 1) too expensive and 2) too many crazies coming out the woodworks - so you know my patience wears thin in the morning and evening during those times especially during the weekdays in Mid-town Manhattan...

those prices are not peak, they are at the end of spring breaks and before summer.

The Divna cruise also does an overnight in San Juan, that would be appealing.

The NCL Escape's eastern ports are basically terrible.

I would agree the eastern ports are kind of dull. Now if they could go to Havana now that would be great. I would take a few of the dull eastern ports if we make a stop in Cuba.

Edited by abe3

those prices are not peak, they are at the end of spring breaks and before summer.

Any week that doesn't have a holiday or is not a summer month is the 'off-peak' season, especially in the Caribbean. Why? Because school, even grad, is in full session.

Edited by maywell

I would agree the eastern ports are kind of dull. Now if they could go to Havana now that would be great. I would take a few of the dull eastern ports if we make a stop in Cuba.

I agree. Drop Nassau for Havana and that will be fine!!!

Any week that doesn't have a holiday or is not a summer month is the 'off-peak' season, especially in the Caribbean. Why? Because school, even grad, is in full session.

well for some reason this year the last week of April has "something" going down, as the price for that week has gone up a lot and KSF is no longer offered.

some state somewhere must have a late break.

so far even CCL has raised rates to some extent for that same week. Not as much as NCL however :cool: no where near as much.

Edited by legion3

Again I agree Abe Havana would be awesome, I understand why they think we are the same person we tend to agree a lot lol.