NCL Vs. other lines drastic changes

rydan

[quote name='SuiteCruiser']Don't forget that people have cruises past final payment date. Many of those complaints are because the product they've already paid for is changing.[/QUOTE]

Disney just did the same thing with their liquor policy. CCL has done it with their VIFP program (we got 2 bottles of water instead of our 2 free drinks and others after us got 2 free drinks instead of a past guest party). All cruise lines make changes and people sometimes get caught in the change over. Is it fair? Who said life is fair? If it happened to me, I may or may not be happy or not care at all about the change. What I would do is deal with it and make the best of my hard earned vacation. I wouldn't continually complain and make myself miserable about it to people who can do nothing about it. It would be my issue, not theirs if I had a problem with it. It may be a strike about me choosing a ship in that line again. But then I would be voting with my wallet wouldn't I. The same line of advice I am giving everyone else.

[quote name='Warm Breezes']Disney just did the same thing with their liquor policy. CCL has done it with their VIFP program (we got 2 bottles of water instead of our 2 free drinks and others after us got 2 free drinks instead of a past guest party). All cruise lines make changes and people sometimes get caught in the change over. Is it fair? Who said life is fair? If it happened to me, I may or may not be happy or not care at all about the change. What I would do is deal with it and make the best of my hard earned vacation. I wouldn't continually complain and make myself miserable about it to people who can do nothing about it. It would be my issue, not theirs if I had a problem with it. It may be a strike about me choosing a ship in that line again. But then I would be voting with my wallet wouldn't I. The same line of advice I am giving everyone else.[/quote]

Your advice is stop complaining about not getting the product you paid for. Seriously? People will still make the best of their hard earned vacations but to suggest that complaining will get them nothing is nonsense. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and it has been demonstrated repeatedly in the corporate world. I have one cruise paid for on NCL, but they were kind enough to cancel my 2016 cruise for me at no charge!!! For my convenience!!

I want to sail NCL - and expecting to get what I bought does not make me a complainer. I hope all you investors sail enough to keep the line in the black.

[quote name='Warm Breezes']Disney just did the same thing with their liquor policy. CCL has done it with their VIFP program (we got 2 bottles of water instead of our 2 free drinks and others after us got 2 free drinks instead of a past guest party). All cruise lines make changes and people sometimes get caught in the change over. Is it fair? Who said life is fair? If it happened to me, I may or may not be happy or not care at all about the change. What I would do is deal with it and make the best of my hard earned vacation. I wouldn't continually complain and make myself miserable about it to people who can do nothing about it. It would be my issue, not theirs if I had a problem with it. It may be a strike about me choosing a ship in that line again. But then I would be voting with my wallet wouldn't I. The same line of advice I am giving everyone else.[/QUOTE]

My comment is in response to you telling people to walk if they don't like it. People aren't going to walk when they've already paid. There is nothing wrong with people discussing changes, some are upset, some are explaining what's happened. Information, good and bad, that's what these boards are here for!

[quote name='Jane Don']Your advice is stop complaining about not getting the product you paid for. Seriously? People will still make the best of their hard earned vacations but to suggest that complaining will get them nothing is nonsense. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and it has been demonstrated repeatedly in the corporate world. I have one cruise paid for on NCL, but they were kind enough to cancel my 2016 cruise for me at no charge!!! For my convenience!!

I want to sail NCL - and expecting to get what I bought does not make me a complainer. I hope all you investors sail enough to keep the line in the black.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect what you say makes no sense. Some people are upset about itinerary changes, go on a different Cruise that has the itinerary you want instead of complaining what this one does not have. Some people complain about the room service charge, go on a different Cruise that does have free room service. I'll use the quote for your convenience there are many cruise lines with many options to satisfy everyone. Life is too short to complain about things you don't like instead of just changing them.

[quote name='Jane Don']Your advice is stop complaining about not getting the product you paid for. Seriously? People will still make the best of their hard earned vacations but to suggest that complaining will get them nothing is nonsense. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and it has been demonstrated repeatedly in the corporate world. I have one cruise paid for on NCL, but they were kind enough to cancel my 2016 cruise for me at no charge!!! For my convenience!!

I want to sail NCL - and expecting to get what I bought does not make me a complainer. I hope all you investors sail enough to keep the line in the black.[/QUOTE]

Sorry....I don't own stock in any cruise line and I am not loyal to any cruise line. I am a believer in making myself happy. I'm sorry your cruise got cancelled. But that happens on all cruise lines. If you are not happy with what they can offer to replace it then what do you expect your complaining on this board to accomplish? Do you think your cruise will magically reappear? I hardly think so. The best way to express your disappointment with NCL is to cancel, tell them why you are cancelling and find something else that will work for you. Is it a disappointment? Yes. But move on and find something else that will make you happy. Complaining over and over again on this board...well I just don't see how that is accomplishing anything but blowing off steam. If it were me, I would be investing that energy in making lemonade out of the lemons that were thrown at me. But that's just me. You can keep sucking lemons if that is what you prefer. Your choice.

[quote name='Warm Breezes']Sorry....I don't own stock in any cruise line and I am not loyal to any cruise line. I am a believer in making myself happy. I'm sorry your cruise got cancelled. But that happens on all cruise lines. If you are not happy with what they can offer to replace it then what do you expect your complaining on this board to accomplish? Do you think your cruise will magically reappear? I hardly think so. The best way to express your disappointment with NCL is to cancel, tell them why you are cancelling and find something else that will work for you. Is it a disappointment? Yes. But move on and find something else that will make you happy. Complaining over and over again on this board...well I just don't see how that is accomplishing anything but blowing off steam. If it were me, I would be investing that energy in making lemonade out of the lemons that were thrown at me. But that's just me. You can keep sucking lemons if that is what you prefer. Your choice.[/QUOTE]

Why not save yourself some anguish and keystrokes and stop complaining about people complaining ??

If I decide to post the information about the shoddy practices of NCL changing the terms AFTER I have booked a cruise, I will ignore your advice anyway !!

You don't need to tell people to "move on" either. NCL is doing a very good job of making that an attractive option.

So a bit of advice that may make your life easier --- Use the ignore feature instead of repeating the same comments time after time !!!

[quote name='motleyfan']With all due respect what you say makes no sense. Some people are upset about itinerary changes, go on a different Cruise that has the itinerary you want instead of complaining what this one does not have. Some people complain about the room service charge, go on a different Cruise that does have free room service. I'll use the quote for your convenience there are many cruise lines with many options to satisfy everyone. Life is too short to complain about things you don't like instead of just changing them.[/QUOTE]

I am sure you could benefit from reading my previous post. It would save a lot of space on CC for important comments.

[quote name='SuiteCruiser']My comment is in response to you telling people to walk if they don't like it. People aren't going to walk when they've already paid. There is nothing wrong with people discussing changes, some are upset, some are explaining what's happened. Information, good and bad, that's what these boards are here for![/QUOTE]

Like I said all cruise lines make changes and someone always gets caught in that change over. Go ahead and complain. But thinking a complaint on a CC thread is going to lead to NCL making a change back....think again. Maybe enough complaints on social media like Facebook, but I don't see it happening here. This is such a small portion of the cruising population. What gets me are the people who complain over and over again. Yes we get you are upset. You got caught in the changeover. Someone has to. Life isn't always fair. Believe me I know that more than anyone. But really, what does the constant complaining get you on this site. Not what you want I can pretty much guarantee. What you can do is move on and make the most out of the vacation you already paid for then vote with your dollars on your next vacation. Who knows....you may have such a great time that the changes that upset you no longer matter and if they do matter, then there is nothing wrong with my advice to find what will make you happy if NCL is no longer offering it to you.

[quote name='swedish weave']Why not save yourself some anguish and keystrokes and stop complaining about people complaining ??

If I decide to post the information about the shoddy practices of NCL changing the terms AFTER I have booked a cruise, I will ignore your advice anyway !!

You don't need to tell people to "move on" either. NCL is doing a very good job of making that an attractive option.

So a bit of advice that may make your life easier --- Use the ignore feature instead of repeating the same comments time after time !!![/QUOTE]

Goes both ways....

I will now post some of the items that have happened to me since the Del Rio regime took control of NCL.

I used a cruise reward that was supposed to be the deposit on a cruise, and it was accepted--- However, when I got my credit card statement, NCL had bill me an additional large amount for the deposit instead of accepting the cruise rewardfor the total deposit. That was for an inside cabin. No excuse for that !!

We were denied the use of one of our platinum lattitudes certificates because the restaurant was booked solid with UDP giveaways. We also could not get into Cagneys because they had reduced the size of the restaurant to about half at the same time they were giving the UDP as a booking bonus.

One of our party had a certificate for a meal at Cagneys and was denied reservations there. He made a fuss about it and one of the senior officers made them book him.

I have another cruise booked to use up my last cruise reward, and since I booked, prices of gratuities have risen--NCL cancelled one of the ports, and I don't know what else to expect since the cruise is still a couple of months away.

Don't bother to make any silly remarks or comments, because that will not stop me from voicing my dissatisfaction with the way NCL is changing and doing business.

[quote name='Warm Breezes']Goes both ways....[/QUOTE]

What goes both ways ?? I complain about NCl and have facts to back it up. I don't disparage people for passing on valid problems to the CC members who may be experiencing the same things.

It seems you want the problems to be buried ???

Another thing I failed to mention in my previous post is I had some unused refundable OBC and was told on the ship they would not refund it to me, but I would receive a check in two weeks. After two MONTHS and several phone calls I finally got my refund. No excuse for that either except corporate greed !! Or INCOMPETENCE brought about by Del Rio firing experienced employees and replacing them with friends and family.

I will add that in over 45 previous cruises with NCL, I never had any of this type of problem !! Edited by swedish weave

[quote name='swedish weave']What goes both ways ?? I complain about NCl and have facts to back it up. I don't disparage people for passing on valid problems to the CC members who may be experiencing the same things.

It seems you want the problems to be buried ???

Another thing I failed to mention in my previous post is I had some unused refundable OBC and was told on the ship they would not refund it to me, but I would receive a check in two weeks. After two MONTHS and several phone calls I finally got my refund. No excuse for that either except corporate greed !! Or INCOMPETENCE brought about by Del Rio firing experienced employees and replacing them with friends and family.[/QUOTE]

And what has all the complaining about NCL done for you? Nothing, you're still sailing on them like its going to improve for YOU but its not and YOU need to accept to move on to different cruise lines for your vacation travel.

Complaining about 1 bad trip - shame on the company for screwing up badly. Constantly complaining about a company every time you go / plan to sail on them or afterwards- the problem is not the company, problem is you don't have the common sense / smarts to stop traveling with that company!! Harsh to read it, but its true about majority of the constant complainers on this forum - its like how times are you going to waste your time on cruise line that isn't going to get better for you before you realize you could had have it better and more enjoyable on a completely different cruise line....SMFH. Edited by maywell

[quote name='swedish weave']I will now post some of the items that have happened to me since the Del Rio regime took control of NCL.

I used a cruise reward that was supposed to be the deposit on a cruise, and it was accepted--- However, when I got my credit card statement, NCL had bill me an additional large amount for the deposit instead of accepting the cruise rewardfor the total deposit. That was for an inside cabin. No excuse for that !!

We were denied the use of one of our platinum lattitudes certificates because the restaurant was booked solid with UDP giveaways. We also could not get into Cagneys because they had reduced the size of the restaurant to about half at the same time they were giving the UDP as a booking bonus.

One of our party had a certificate for a meal at Cagneys and was denied reservations there. He made a fuss about it and one of the senior officers made them book him.

I have another cruise booked to use up my last cruise reward, and since I booked, prices of gratuities have risen--NCL cancelled one of the ports, and I don't know what else to expect since the cruise is still a couple of months away.

Don't bother to make any silly remarks or comments, because that will not stop me from voicing my dissatisfaction with the way NCL is changing and doing business.[/QUOTE]

Voice away. I hope it makes you feel better because I don't believe it changed anything. I truly hope you enjoy your next cruise and if not then I truly hope you do something about it that will matter and make yourself happy if NCL cannot.

I find it funny on these types of threads, no matter what cruise line, that the people who have no problem moving on to other cruise lines when things are not to their liking, are the ones who get called cheerleaders, stockholders, etc by the ones who do have a problem with moving on to find what works for them. There are things I didn't like on our Princess cruise. I wrote my review and voiced my opinion. What I don't do is stay on the Princess Boards and constantly bring it up and complain about the same things over and over again. I don't get the point in that. I've moved on. If someone asks for a comparison between Princess and another line I have sailed on, I will give them my honest opinion which would include my opinion on the things I liked and disliked about it. That wouldn't be on the Princess Board because I won't go there again until I think about booking with them again. What I have done is remembered the things I don't like about Princess when booking a new vacation and put them on the bottom of my list of ships to pick from at this time. That is making me happy and voting my choice with my wallet.

I don't give advice on things I don't practice myself. You may not agree with it....but I think what I practice makes me a much happier person and I will continue to give the same advice. Take it or leave it. It is your choice. It is also your choice to ignore me or not. But I have same right on these forums to give my advice as you do to voice grievances. It is after all a public forum. I don't tell people not to complain. I just give my opinion that I really don't think it will get them anywhere on here to do it over and over again and my advice is to do yourself a favor by doing something to make yourself happy. Don't count on the cruise line to do it. Carry on with your complaining as it seems to make you happy.

[quote name='SuiteCruiser']You guys are like a pack of wolves who hunt down anyone not saying positive things about NCL. I'm not sure why it's been allowed to go on, but it needs to stop.

You don't see me hopping on a thread of a person who's just had a great cruise and telling them "no, you didn't". That would be crazy. But here, a person says they've had a bad cruise and you're all over him saying to move on, stop complaining.

It's bullying pure and simple and it needs to stop. People should be allowed to discuss changes and yes, there have been a LOT of changes in a very short time, without being attacked.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if they think there's some kind of prize fo trying to be the snarkiest poster. A couple stand out for me.

Your comparison is right. I haven't read anyone going on a thread where good things are being said about NCL and bullying them . The flip side though is true.

[quote name='NLH Arizona'] Those of us who have no issues with the changes have been called names and have had very rude posts directed toward them as well. It is on both sides; too bad folks on both sides of the issues can't post civilly.[/quote]

You are not even in the same league as some of the other "I don't have a problem with this" group. I've not seen you be nasty, negative, or try to run people off the boards. Some people could do well to adopt your civil tone.

[quote name='LMaxwell']You are not even in the same league as some of the other "I don't have a problem with this" group. I've not seen you be nasty, negative, or try to run people off the boards. [B]Some people could do well to adopt your civil tone[/B].[/QUOTE]Have to say, this goes for folks on both sides of the issues. I try very hard to be civil, but with some of the uncivility that has been directed at me, it is really, really hard some times. Some folks take someone disagreeing with them as rudeness; it is not, it is just a different opinion.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']So, you only want one side of the issue to be on threads and no discussion from those that have no issues. If someone has an issue or complaint, I see no reason why a poster can't come on and civilly disagree with them (what about the thread about the poster who couldn't get his airline fee changes, there were many that disagreed with him. I didn't see posters telling folks not to post their disagreements to that thread), because then others who read the thread will know that not everyone feels that it is an issue. If someone doesn't want others opinions, maybe a public forum is not the way to go about complaining about and issue, since folks are going to respond with their opinions. I honestly don't think anyone on here, other than the moderators, can or should tell someone not to post.[/QUOTE]

This is not what I'm saying at all. If you buy something that's defective and you're returning it at customer service and lodging a complaint, it's not helpful to have someone else come to the counter and continually say "mine didn't break, you should stop complaining"

This is what I'm getting at. Someone asking if NCL is a good cruise line definitely should hear the good and the bad, no question, especially if it's handled civilly. If someone DOES have an issue and is here to ask advice or even to vent, then either don't say anything or be helpful. Smirking at people and telling them they're complainers and nitpickers is not helpful.

As mentioned above, you are civil in your discussions, and often sympathetic too which is helpful, not harmful. My posts today are not aimed at you. Edited by SuiteCruiser

[quote name='LMaxwell']I feel quite sorry for him. He had a very real issue. He was told something by NCL and they back pedaled on their communication to him. he is a long time poster on multiple forums on Cruise Critic and his credibility should not be questioned. He shared what appeared to be ALL information that any could want to try to help.

He was summarily run off the board.

There are many questions I have about my NCL cruise. I've posted some; many get no response. But if I voice a concern over not getting what I've paid for I am called every name under the sun; and administration allows it. It draws page views. page views = clicks. Clicks = revenue.[/QUOTE]

I agree. He had a legitimate gripe and was called everything from a liar to a whiner and complainer. He had e-mails showing what NCL said but some just kept on him for more proof.

But if I voice a concern over not getting what I've paid for I am called every name under the sun.

Yep. I've said a few times that "I want the product I'm told I'm buying to be the product I receive" shouldn't be controversial, but here we are. The biggest thing for me is the lack of communication; I really don't want to be negatively surprised when I board, particularly for something which is foreseeable. If you want to raise drink prices, fine; send me an email so I know and can decide if it matters. If you want to eliminate or charge for shows, fine: send me an email so I know and decide if it matters. If you're altering or eliminating a port, fine; send me an email so I know and can decide if matters. But don't lead me to believe Ill be receiving A and then give me A-minus-minus-minus once I'm on board.