EZ air question from 1st time Princess cruiser

mrsgthatsme

Open jaw means a round trip in which you arrive in one city but fly back from another. For example, we are flying to London but getting off the ship in Rome, so we are looking at an "open jaw" fare.

Check your airline rules on this as there may be a rule like the length of the open jaw cannot be more than the two flying legs (not an issue for overseas).

Then again, airfares today tend to be the sum of two 1-ways anyway in terms of costs.

Open jaw means a round trip in which you arrive in one city but fly back from another. For example, we are flying to London but getting off the ship in Rome, so we are looking at an "open jaw" fare.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'd never heard that term before. Of course, with the way airline prices have been going up the past few years, just about any flight leaves me with an "open jaw" anymore! :eek:

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps a couple examples will help. Booked our flights on EZair for 12/02/15 Ocean Princess TA Syracuse to Rome (4 days early to extend our vacation) and return from Miami at end of TA. Started out 1 month ago at $985 per person flexible fare. Long story short; after 2 changes now paying $549 per person and the fare is STILL flexible up until 45 days prior. Next example: 04/17/16 one way SYR to IAH (Houston, George Bush) $206 on Delta (flexible). Fare on Delta web site $518 :eek:. I am a recent convert but sold on EZair.

Harry

Perhaps a couple examples will help. Booked our flights on EZair for 12/02/15 Ocean Princess TA Syracuse to Rome (4 days early to extend our vacation) and return from Miami at end of TA. Started out 1 month ago at $985 per person flexible fare. Long story short; after 2 changes now paying $549 per person and the fare is STILL flexible up until 45 days prior. Next example: 04/17/16 one way SYR to IAH (Houston, George Bush) $206 on Delta (flexible). Fare on Delta web site $518 :eek:. I am a recent convert but sold on EZair.

Harry

I always book my own air when doing cruises out of FLL or LA. I'm new to EZair and also a new convert. You do have to investigate all airlines but in the end the best deal for European travel has been EZair.

Just rebooked our next year (June) flight for a $400 savings from the flight two weeks ago. Air fares seem much lower for European flights right now. I'm paying for 2 tickets what I paid for 1 ticket two years ago to go to Europe. Didn't use EZair two years ago because I didn't know you could have an "open jaw" with EZair.

On the Princess EZair site, it is so easy to find the right flights and great that they can be cancelled and repurchased at a cheaper fare. I know it is early to book, but since you don't pay for them until final payment, what a great way to take advantage of cheaper flights now.

With EZair I can book over one month after my cruise to return home, convincing my husband is another story!

There is a more detailed discussion of EZAir on the Cruise Air Forum. EZAir can be very good when everything goes as planned.

The last time we used EZAir, 3 weeks before departure and well after final payment, our flights were completely changed. We still made it to our destinations - it was just an inconvenience.

Most of the time, it works out as planned.

If I may, I HIGHLY recommend that everyone take a read on the sticky at the top of the Cruise Air forum here at CC. As one of the denizens hanging out there, we get these types of questions often.

IF, and that's a big if, you are SOLELY concerned with price, then buy on that basis alone. If not, in order to be an informed consumer, you need to read about exactly what you are getting with cruiseline provided air.

Even though you may find the same flights and times, very often you are NOT getting the same ticket that you would get from an airline directly. The underlying fare rules can be very different, very restrictive and may actually prevent you from taking your cruise.

As mentioned, when everything works out fine, cruiseline air can be a good purchase. However, it's when things go wrong that you find your good deal turns out to be a pig in a poke. Examples include restrictions that your ticket cannot be rerouted to a different routing, or different airline or even different flights. Marketing words about "working with the airlines" and "monitoring flights" are just that....marketing sales pitches without basis in the T&C of the air product.

Be an informed consumer. Don't buy just on price. Know what you are getting - and what you are not. I find it amazing...people will research for days to learn what's the best TV, camera, phone yet will spend little time to understand air purchases that may be several times more in cost.

As I often say...there is more to an airline ticket than the price and flights. All airline tickets are not created the same, and aren't the same. Come over to Cruise Air and get an education that may save you money and frustration down the road.

I always booked my own air until our trip earlier this year from Florida to Tahiti. The one way ticket from Tahiti was ridiculous. I was considering buying a roundtrip ticket and only using the first half until I checked EZ Air and got a great rate and all worked out well.

I have a question though. Choosing our seat location is important to us on long flights (11 hrs from Europe). We just booked an open jaw flight for a next

May transatlantic. We chose our seats and feel good about the price. I thought I read that your seats aren't guaranteed until they are paid for. Has anyone ever had their seat location changed before final payment? This will be the first time flying a 787 and DH definitely wants a window seat.