Live Review of Ruby Princess Alaska August 16th through the 23rd.

kunta67

Backtracking to your first day . . . I totally agree with you about Princess balcony cabins vs Royal Caribbean's. I do miss that sofa in the Princess balcony cabins. On Princess, it's all about that closet space, aka the "dressing area." I'd personally much rather have that space go into "living" space, with a sofa. I can imagine your disappointment when you opened that cabin door. As far as Royal's interior promenade is concerned, though, that's why we gave up on Royal Caribbean. We just didn't like never seeing water as we walked about the inside of the ship. It felt too much like being in a massive hotel.

So, Princess has turned out to be our line of choice (after trying RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and Carnival). But isn't it great that we have choices? :)

Now I'm off to lunch because your food pictures have totally spiked the hunger pangs. :rolleyes:

BTW, did you guys look for Tracey Arm as the port under the excursion list for your cruises. I know that it seems odd, but, Tracey Arm was shown as a port and that is where I found it.

Here's a copy of my itinerary & tour page and there's nothing highlited for a tour.

image.jpg1_zpsmgnrohe8.jpg

image.jpg1_zpscdilkr1z.jpg

You see it's not an option.

Tom:)

Here's a copy of my itinerary & tour page and there's nothing highlited for a tour.

We'll be traveling on the Ruby in November. Did you use the washing machines onboard? Does one need coins AND laundry detergent....or is the detergent automatically dispensed at no added cost? Thanks

We'll be traveling on the Ruby in November. Did you use the washing machines onboard? Does one need coins AND laundry detergent....or is the detergent automatically dispensed at no added cost? Thanks

Detergent costs $1.00. Fab soft costs $1.00.

Bring your own: pods or Purex 3in1 sheets (if you can find them...Amazon may still have them).

This has been fun to read and the pics are great.

I have a question. I saw on the Crown Grill menu that you posted, you can get a 4 oz. lobster tail. In the pic, it looked like alot of tails. How many do you get exactly? It looked great and surprising that you get that much for $25?

I have a question. I saw on the Crown Grill menu that you posted, you can get a 4 oz. lobster tail. In the pic, it looked like alot of tails. How many do you get exactly? It looked great and surprising that you get that much for $25?

From our experience in CG...as much as you want, as often as you want.

You can get as many as you want but i think it's 4 Oz's pre-cooked so they give you four to have a full meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is one of the saddest days on the cruise. But we had the pub lunch again and it was delicious.

b515046d10f11ba467101d632efbc8c0.jpg

My wife and I both had the chicken curry.

b991086f87b679bb27623e8f2c5e6522.jpg

The Piazza

0274950c460e57b89a44f49eb2bf3bab.jpg

Amsterdam racing us to Victoria

b13571a64aa1e6cc841abc2407ba3fea.jpg

Backtracking to your first day . . . I totally agree with you about Princess balcony cabins vs Royal Caribbean's. I do miss that sofa in the Princess balcony cabins. On Princess, it's all about that closet space, aka the "dressing area." I'd personally much rather have that space go into "living" space, with a sofa. I can imagine your disappointment when you opened that cabin door. As far as Royal's interior promenade is concerned, though, that's why we gave up on Royal Caribbean. We just didn't like never seeing water as we walked about the inside of the ship. It felt too much like being in a massive hotel.

So, Princess has turned out to be our line of choice (after trying RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and Carnival). But isn't it great that we have choices? :)

Now I'm off to lunch because your food pictures have totally spiked the hunger pangs. :rolleyes:

My wife especially misses the Royal Promenade and her cupcake cupboard classes. It's a hard comparison for us especially since we've only really cruised on RCI and our last cruise was on Allure. I think we're going to try Regal or Royal Princess in February since my wife has to be in Florida for work.

Here's the dinner from the second formal night. Our wait staff has been amazing and the food has been top notch

Lobster

93b469681ee7fc5c29d8b687f9f19d6f.jpg

All the food looks wonderful! What is the side dish with the lobster? It said rice pilaf and asparagus on the menu, but that looks more like a mac and cheese.

You see it's not an option.

We are doing this on the Ruby. It says in the special notes "This tour is only available to Ruby Princess passengers and is available May 27 through September 2" that is the reason you can not book it.

We are doing this on the Ruby. It says in the special notes "This tour is only available to Ruby Princess passengers and is available May 27 through September 2" that is the reason you can not book it.

It was available on our Crown Princess cruise in July. Our friends were going to take it, but changed their minds.

All the food looks wonderful! What is the side dish with the lobster? It said rice pilaf and asparagus on the menu, but that looks more like a mac and cheese.

My wife substituted it out for the side of the fish dish

Here's dinner from our last night in the MDR. I forgot to take a picture of the menu and appetizers but the Turkey dinner was delicious

6ff35035f9665e107a60552873226f23.jpg

Desert menu

014c402b5bb80c57710233576221333e.jpg

Desert

a748e2ddea5401d89e76587c682ef0b6.jpg

How was the weather in Alaska? I noticed lots of rain for the next 10 days.

Thanks!

The weather was actually not bad. Skagway was foggy in the morning but burned off by the time we got on the train. Juneau was nice when we went on the whale watching cruise, but it turned overcast when we went to the Mendenhall Glacier. Ketchikan was overcast, which is apparently good bear weather.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your vacation to post al these wonderful photos. I have a question about the bear viewing excursion. I'm interested in doing this next summer when we are on our cruise, but I can not walk long distances due to arthritic knees, especially on rough, uneven terrain. How far did you walk and is hilly and/or rough?

One thing to add on this is the guide said the best time to view bears is during salmon spawning season and when the weather is overcast. Apparently the bears aren't a huge fan of being out when it's really sunny and bright.