Teenage boy allegedly sexually assaulted by worker on Carnival cruise ship

DaytonCruiser

Truly sad

This may cause Carnival to reevaluate their age policy in the gym. One has to wonder how often this room steward was down in the sauna/shower area starting conversations.

Age Policy

Guests must be at least 18 years of age to use the fitness facilities on their own. Minor guests (12-17 years of age) may use the facilities provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian (subject to restrictions posted outside the Fitness Center

The alleged crime is horrible yes.

Wondering if, because people panic and cancel their cruises or others won't book because of this report Carnival will drop prices on this cruise is not horrible. He's not saying he's looking for a price drop, just stating that this could be the reaction.

The alleged crime is horrible yes.

Wondering if, because people panic and cancel their cruises or others won't book because of this report Carnival will drop prices on this cruise is not horrible. He's not saying he's looking for a price drop, just stating that this could be the reaction.

90% of the cruise public will never even know this happened.

I can't see the family putting this kid on all the morning shows.

Sadly sexual assault crimes are reported a few times each year by cruise lines.

I believe most will view this as a wake-up call if they have been blinded being in vacation mode not realizing that sexual predators don't wear ID cards. I would bet anyone that had this guy as a room steward would say he did a great job in that capacity

Edited by DaytonCruiser

90% of the cruise public will never even know this happened.

I can't see the family putting this kid on all the morning shows.

Sadly sexual assault crimes are reported a few times each year by cruise lines.

I believe most will view this as a wake-up call if they have been blinded being in vacation mode not realizing that sexual predators don't wear ID cards. I would bet anyone that had this guy as a room steward would say he did a great job in that capacity

Based on reported incidents of sexual assault on a minor that are in every paper every day the perpetrator could have been any man or woman on the ship, crew or passenger. A big "that a boy" (in the best sense of the word) to the young individual who was raised to know that reporting this to his parent was of prime importance.

And anyone who holds Carnival responsible needs to rethink their thinking since predetors can be anyone, anywhere and no amount of back ground checking will catch them all.

I thought the spas/gyms are for adults only; 18 years and up. He was under 16 years old....

No,read post

Age Policy

Guests must be at least 18 years of age to use the fitness facilities on their own. Minor guests (12-17 years of age) may use the facilities provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian (subject to restrictions posted outside the Fitness Center

Edited by DaytonCruiser

No,read post

Age Policy

So, where was the parent ?

How tragic for this young mans family.

A vacation marred by such a horrid event will haunt them for life.

This young man has a series of obstacles he will need to overcome to have a life not marred permanently by this criminal act against him.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

Yes, it sounds like the adult supervision policy was not adhered to.

At this point, it doesn't really matter, except for those who hear of this crime to remain vigilant in protecting their family.

I hope the crewman receives swift and severe punishment for his crime.

Edited by silvercrikhix

So, where was the parent ?

From the article the father was apparently somewhere in the spa/gym/shower area to react so quickly

But the policy just says parent,so if his mother took him to the gym the consequences could have been much worse.

Excerpt

The victim then moved to a shower area to avoid the suspect when the alleged sexual conduct occurred,” Goodyear said. “Immediately following the incident the victim identified the crewmember to his father who detained him with the assistance of other passengers until ship security arrived.”

Edited by DaytonCruiser

A very plausible explanation(not that we really need one)

Father and son workout in the gym side by side the entire time

After working out many like to undress get a towel and take a quick shower before going into the sauna. Maybe dad took longer in the shower or went to use the bathroom and the son went straight to the sauna.

The incident probably took less than 2-3 minutes. Maybe the reason the son went.to the showers is because he knew that's where his father was and how the father was so quick to respond..

Just not sure why people like to attempt to assign blame without knowing the facts.

As I.mentioned earlier, if his mom had taken him, he would have been alone in the sauna and shower

Truly sad

This may cause Carnival to reevaluate their age policy in the gym.

More likely, Carnival will make crew access to the gym facilities more restrictive. It's a shame, since good crew members may wind up getting punished for the actions of one individual. I just got off the Valor and the service from the waiters and stewards was excellent.

A very plausible explanation(not that we really need one)

Father and son workout in the gym side by side the entire time

After working out many like to undress get a towel and take a quick shower before going into the sauna. Maybe dad took longer in the shower or went to use the bathroom and the son went straight to the sauna.

The incident probably took less than 2-3 minutes. Maybe the reason the son went.to the showers is because he knew that's where his father was and how the father was so quick to respond..

Just not sure why people like to attempt to assign blame without knowing the facts.

As I.mentioned earlier, if his mom had taken him, he would have been alone in the sauna and shower

Good post...

No one IS AT FAULT in this incident other than the perpetrator. Not Carnival, not the young man, not the parents and to think otherwise is abhorrent.

More likely, Carnival will make crew access to the gym facilities more restrictive. It's a shame, since good crew members may wind up getting punished for the actions of one individual. I just got off the Valor and the service from the waiters and stewards was excellent.

If they do I'll be pretty upset....this incident could just have easily been about an adult passenger and I don't think we are going to restrict their access. Predators are everywhere, come from all walks of life, can be either sex and their victims can be either sex. Let's just be glad that the alleged perpetrator has been identified and that if guilty will be justly punished. Lets not be a lynch mob and punish everyone else for the actions of one.

If that had been my son, the first place they would have needed to take the crew member would have been the hospital. Because he slipped and "fell" in the shower.

It does seem like there was a quick response on this by all involved, so that is good. You can do all the background checks on someone you want but unless they have been caught before, not much you can do.

Edited by Hoosierpop

Thank God this boy told his parents, and actions immediately taken. Many victims are afraid/ashamed to tell, therefore the pedophiles go undetected. Thanks to him, at least one will be taken out of circulation. It's no telling if he did harm to others, be it passengers or other crew members. My heart goes out to him and his family. Thanks to him for being strong, and trusting in his parents to help him right away.

No,read post

Age Policy

Clearly he was not being accompanied by a parent. His father was not in the sauna nor the shower, so he was not being accompanied. I'm not trying to place blame here, just pointing this out so that others don't make the same mistake. Rules are put in place for a reason.