Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

This next picture was taken with the infamous P setting and with an adjustment to the f-stop as suggested by the wonderful camera dudes (JP, Terry and Jeff).

DSC00039_zpseoxdnttp.jpg

And the last one is just Frances showing her arty side.

DSC00042_zpsw6rigkpb.jpg

All constructive criticism gratefully accepted. And please put the daggers away. :)

What would happen if you retook the first one with HDR?

Would you get all the hidden detail?

Jeff

Good question Professor! Something worth exploring for sure. I was so busy playing with the Photo Creativity thingy that I forgot about the HDR thingy. I'm going to try that now.

Could the top one lose half a stop?

Would the second benefit from HDR to bring out some of the detail in the washout and in dark tree bits?

OK Professor, here's the story with Intelligent Auto and the Photo Creativity thing. With Intelligent Auto set, I cannot change the HDR (which is set at D-Range Opt.). The camera was set on the lowest "Defocus" setting for that picture. I think I would need to play around in the P setting to make the changes you are suggesting. I need more play time! :) I really appreciate your input J! Thanks for that!

It's all healthy learning. There are so many functions that will or will not work together. I guess what I'd learn is that for a piccy with lot's of contrasty areas I'd want to force HDR in a compatible mode to bring it all out. I thought P always allows HDR. That is why i suggested you spent time with it. It is fully auto but you can adjust exposure and use HDR etc. All the funny effects are secondary and P is just as easy as intelligent auto.

By the way to clarify a difference between intelligent auto plus with intelligent auto is that plus will use HDR when it wants to - from memory ... you'd need to check. So whilst it isn't selectable it is only because it is available for the camera if it want's it and it doesn't want to be told what to do and what not to do. That is the whole idea of the intelligent auto mode ...ie take you out of the decision process.

Jeff

OK, so it sounds like if I take the easy route with the Photo Creativity option and the Intelligent Auto, MY intelligence will be ignored. The P setting is making more and more sense now. I did like the ease of the sliding scale to show me the effects and it seems that option will come with restrictions. If the weather holds tomorrow, Frances and I will do some further explorations. Furnace cleaning scheduled for early tomorrow morning. Winter is coming - Bah Humbug!

If you think of it the, camera simply asks you to tell it what you want it to be and then gets on with it.

You can ask it to take care of everything and it will - and do a job that is almost always pretty perfect. If you want you can say I want you take a perfect picture with some special effects that would normally be done post. Or you can say I want you to do most of it but let me have a final say over whether I want the overall picture a touch lighter or darker. Or you can say to the camera "I know you are clever but you do not know I'm about to take a picture of a fast moving object ..." so you can either use one of the Scene modes or go manual or semi manual using shutter speed as the main priority. Obviously if you tell it you want it to take all your decisions it wants to get on with it without you making unhelpful suggestions in it's ear all the time like a back seat driver. Not you Mysty ;)

That is why in a way there is so much complexity to the simplicity. It will try and be all things to all situations and peopleand do as much or as litlle as you want - and anywhere between fully auto and fully manual.

As you know from your pre-purchase research this is an extremely highly regarded camera amongst professional photogrphers and enthusiastic amatuers as well as dumbos like me who simply wish to snap. What was suprising in many of the forums and reviews is how much more redundant many said that their DSLRs were for most of the time once they realised what it could do. So, unless you want something not in P then get use to and learn P. For the time being.

There are some more posts about SS and I do so hope the lady from Canada in the other thread isn't depressed by some of the posts and simply focuses instead on what she can take control over with her sisters and focus instead of what they can do to make it a wonderful trip for themselves, their memory of mum and their clearly delightful dad. I hope she returns and joins us here to receive our encouragement and all the help she asks for.

The chimney has been fully cleaned and I have been stacking kiln dried beech this week for winter and we have another lorry load coming next week. It is our first year of kiln dried wood and I'm looking forward to burning it. In fact it makes a really attractive decorative wall in Nicos Taverna ... and gives me a lovely feeling of security. There is something about stacking up the wood, and seeing the coal stacked and enough oil in the tank to see you through. Many of us who have had major insecurities in our lives will understand that lovely feeling of being safe and knowing you will be warm for the winter.

:)

Jeff

J....you are a wonderful teacher and you deserve the title Professor! I understand this lesson, I appreciate wisdom behind the explanation and I will work on my homework assignment with humour and dedication. :)

I really hope nelsonbc decides to drop by the cooler. Her passionate plea is being misunderstood and somewhat trampled on in the other threads.

I have exactly no tolerance for cold! Yet another reason I want to get out of Dodge for this next winter which the Farmer's Almanac is predicting to be colder than normal. EEEEK! Your heating supplies sound wonderful to me! :)

Good morning coolers!

The pope is indeed an impressive and lovely man.

With a heart of that size and independence of thinking and considering from the country of poverty from where he comes, and with all that inate potential that has sparked so much optimisim and hopefulness for the people of Catholic faith, some of us may be forgiven for pondering .... with all due genuine respect and admiration .... is if he is so concerned about America abolishing the death penalty, why he at the same time continues - seemingly blindly - to oversee a church that has and continues to condemn millions of it's members to an avoidable and terrible death from HIV Aids and millions of the poor to a life of sometimes avoidable poverty and starvation when a simple inoffensive piece of rubber or pill could eliminate that suffering. I cannot think of any worthy God that would wish to see that continue and I hope he sees things this way and does something about it soon.

Just saying .....

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Good morning coolers!

With a heart of that size and independence of thinking and considering from the country of poverty from where he comes, and with all that inate potential that has sparked so much optimisim and hopefulness for the people of Catholic faith, some of us may be forgiven for pondering .... with all due genuine respect and admiration .... is if he is so concerned about America abolishing the death penalty, why he at the same time continues - seemingly blindly - to oversee a church that has and continues to condemn millions of it's members to an avoidable and terrible death from HIV Aids and millions of the poor to a life of sometimes avoidable poverty and starvation when a simple inoffensive piece of rubber or pill could eliminate that suffering. I cannot think of any worthy God that would wish to see that continue and I hope he sees things this way and does something about it soon.

Just saying .....

Jeff

Ah Politics and religiin🙀

Good morning coolers!

Just saying .....

Jeff

As far as HIV/AIDS goes, the prior pope lifted the church's ban on pieces of rubber when used only for prophylaxis.

There is a lovely story that I would personally love to believe that when Golda Meir met Richard Nixon for the first time Nixon compalined about the burden of power of his office but how lucky Golda Meir was to be Prime Minster of such a small country compared with his weighty role. She is said to have replied "Mr President, you may be President of 300 million people, but I am sadly Prime Minister of 3 million Prime Minsters."

I think one of the challenges of the Catholic Church is that every bishop and priest seems to think that they are Pope and sadly too often behave accordingly.

Jeff

If they behaved a little bit like this new pope though Jeff, we would be in a better place. There have been changes over the years, in some cases very small changes. The mass is celebrated in the language of the people as opposed to Latin. There is no limbo anymore and I don't think the kids in Catholic schools have to sit to the extreme left of their seats in order to allow room on the right for their guardian angels. I don't think these kids are told not to play with Protestant children because the Protestants are going to hell. As I said, small changes. I think this pope is working his way up to the bigger challenges. Hopefully he will get there. :)

He is by far the most enigmatic, natural Pope I have seen in my lifetime and his arrival I think was greeted in much the same way and spirit as Obama's arrival. I think we thought that both arrivals heralded significant change for the better. I will admit to a tear.

I was unaware of some of the constraints Catholics had lived before, particuarly the postioning of children on seats, which I hadn't heard of. But I do agree, the Church has and is making progress.

One of the things I am sort of expecting from him is to hear that he will take some leadership in terms of the poor by perhaps instructing the Vatican to identify say 10% of the Churches assets that could be converted to cash to alleviate hunger and hardship. I think that would reflect well the teachings of the Church and demonstrate real leadership.

For example the Church is clear to it's members about tithing. ie 1 Corinthians 16:2, "On the first day of the week [sunday] each of you should set aside whatever he can afford," and in 2 Corinthians 9:5-8

So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift [donation], so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction. Consider this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work.
If we agree that the Catholic Church does not require all that it has for it's survival, then perhaps it should consider divesting a small amount to alleviate suffering and hardship?

This is not an adverse comment about Catholicism or about it's followers, it simply summarises something that has been on my mind when I am fortunate enough to visit the Vatican occaisionally and wonder why such action appears not to have been taken or it seems considered.

What do others think?

Jeff

The Vatican Museum was eye-opening in many ways. All that opulence and wealth... I remember thinking - could it have been put to a different use? But opulence is certainly not unique to Catholicism.

It will be interesting to see what Pope Francis can accomplish. The 2000-year-old boat is large, and hard to rock! I have friends on all parts of the political spectrum, and the range of their opinions is fascinating.

There is a lovely story that I would personally love to believe that when Golda Meir met Richard Nixon for the first time Nixon compalined about the burden of power of his office but how lucky Golda Meir was to be Prime Minster of such a small country compared with his weighty role. She is said to have replied "Mr President, you may be President of 300 million people, but I am sadly Prime Minister of 3 million Prime Minsters."

I think one of the challenges of the Catholic Church is that every bishop and priest seems to think that they are Pope and sadly too often behave accordingly.

Jeff

And the US president has 100 senators who think they should be president.

That is something I have often questioned as well Jeff. The Church often pronounces on charity and care for our fellow man. Actions speak louder than words so why would they not practice what they preach? 'Tis a puzzlement!

I (vaguely) remember a movie with Anthony Quinn as pope, at the end he pledges all the church's wealth to help with some sort of disaster. Maybe Francis should watch it.

May I just say that I think it is lovely that we can talk about things without pretend wars breaking out and people feigning offence. I always feel we only ever learn by debating with people with different views. What is there to learn from people who agree? :)

Thinking as I do that most of the ills of the world seem to stem either from religion or nationalism, (nd that we ALL have more in common than their are differnces) it has always seemed odd to me that so many people who claim to be intelligent and well educated and of independent spirit, have minds and beliefs that are governed more by quirks of where they were born or who their parents were and their religions than by starting from scratch and asking "what do I believe? How should I behave?" etc. We always think that others can be indoctrinated but never think we can be or are. Anyone born of a faith or of a nationality carries with it heavy baggage and a very wide vein of inherrent indoctrination.

I wish we were all bought up to think that nature gave us this nagging voice that constantly tells us that we are possibly doing something wrong and should follow that voice. We are all born with it. It is only programmed out of by indoctriantion of belieiving that we do not know what is right or wrong but others do and will tell us.

We all know from that voice we hear in our own conscience that any church that has a painting on it's wall pr a sculpture in it's church that could be sold and the cash used to save a single life or most probably thousands - is not doing "God's will" if it doesn't do so. Or they do not understand God or what he would have of us.

Jeff

I am not a member of an organized edifice.

If I had to label my belief it would be humanist.

I do appreciate this man, the pope, for trying to make changes when he is surrounded by rigidity. He has spoken of always going forward and need for change. He calls for progress within the rule of law and within the context of

justice knowing it is a fluid and dynamic concept.

No one's or no cultures beliefs make them superior to another. He calls for inclusion.

There us so much more to him.

I enjoy listening to him.

He has a spark.

It illuminates him.