Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

In the tree, under the tree... :D

Nice picture! You should try a number of exposures between -1.0 and 1.0 to see what looks nicest. IME, -0.7 works best for most situations but not all. Nice magnets, too.

Want to take a walk but it is so dark and ugly out! Would rather stay inside and drink some wine, roll out the pizza dough, and enjoy the evening. We stopped by the Italian import store on the way home from work and picked up freshly sliced prosciutto di Parma, and some Calabrese sausage. Looking forward to dinner!

Forgot to get my Flu shot today. Drat. Better get going before someone gets me sick!

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks JP! This camera has so much to explore! :) I will try different exposures. Experimenting is fun! Your pizza night sounds great! I'm with you on the "stay in and enjoy" plan! Have a great weekend!

On the subject of flu shots, just before my last trip away in August, I did my due diligence and went to the GP to check what shots I needed.

His first thought was the flu vas as we were having a a particularly bad season here. After some discussion we decided I had probably been exposed to such high levels already that I probably had already started producing my own antibodies. Our season here was worse early rather than late, which is an aberration.

We had the same discussion pre cruise in 2013 and it was a case of.... Our flu vax is still last years so it won't do much to help against this northern winter.... You've probably already got immunity to ours.

When Mr W was still with us we all had it every year to protect him.

On the subject of weather we are looking at low to mid 30s here .🎉😎🍷🌞🌞🌞🌞 bring on the weekend

Jeff, I was hoping I could catch you before bedtime. Just finished eating 1-1/2 of the 2 pizzas! I cook some of the toppings first, like mushrooms or thicker slices of sausage, pepperoni, etc. But I don't cook the crust first; I've tried that and it makes it too tough.

First one was lots of chopped garlic, arugula, red cherry tomatoes, and prosciutto slices on top.

upload_-1.jpg

In the oven, not ready yet! You can tell my pizza stone has had a lot of use!

upload_-1.jpg

First course is served! After the picture, I finished this with some freshly grated Grana Padano cheese, from Eataly in New York:

upload_-1.jpg

So the second one is made from the garden's last tomatoes. I had an assortment of red, orange, and yellow tomatoes ranging from cherry-sized to normal-sized that I had picked earlier this week. All chopped up with garlic, sautéed baby bella mushrooms, and Calabrese sausage slices:

upload_-1.jpg

Someone was so excited by this one that he didn't take a picture until it was half gone. But, the plus is that you can see the nicely grated Grana Padano on this one too. Jeff, the crust is thin but that's the way we like it, so not much of a cross-sectional view I'm afraid. A little thick around the edges for texture. And it gets a few nice dark spots, even in the oven that doesn't get too hot. When we're done eating each slice, we dip the crust in olive oil. Yum!

upload_-1.jpg

We managed to save these pieces for a nice lunch over the weekend. Lucky us!

Tonight's wine was a Sangiovese rosé - though it should have been Italian to match the nice imported meats on the pizza, it was actually from Oregon. Still tasted great!

Good night everyone.

Edited by jpalbny

JP, those pizza look wonderful ..... just wonderful! Yes, my question was some people like to cook the ham and others add it as a topping after cooking and yours look wonderful. I know you roll the base, but I'd love you to simply try enevelope folding and stretching to get long bubble crust.

C33449D8-7039-4C6E-B9B5-767E6F41D9A7.jpg

Your pizza and my pizza and both our pasta and gnocchi .... and Mrs Waldo's lasaqne and all our talk about Italian food over the months, made me start thinking about SS and where it all started, and if you like where it seemed not to really get started and sort of stop, particularly where highlighted on the other thread (where I now fear to tread ... ) about reveiws and food and dissapointments etc. And it does seem to me that a simple trick is being missed and a fairly low cost transformation opportunity not grasped.

SS always intended to benefit from it's Italian heritage and La Terrazza was supposed to be the iconic heart of that, but I really wonder whether it has even been allowed to work. Over fancy and often dissapointing offerings with only a handful of seats available during restricted times seem to combine to dissapoint many partly because they simply cannot book and partly because it isn't quite traditional Italian and isn't quite silver service. All retarded by simply unecessary picky menus.

I would love to see La T, more fully optimised and changed. I'd love to see it become a brighter, more informal, relaxed, 24 hour Pizza, Pasta and Gelato Trattoria. Not a Ristorante but Trattoria in atmosphere and philosphy. Perhaps other simple stuff, ie lasagne, pannini, ciabatta, olives, antipasti, cicchetti, stuzzichini antipasti (Italian versions of Tapas ... simple and quick though) etc. An esspresso and cake or tiramisu always available anytime ... and of course a grappa. All easy traditional informal stuff with silver service not even attempted but left for the main dining room. Formal wear never expected. You can slouch here and relax 24 hours. Even Myster would love it.

So with the exception of Breakfast time, you can simply arrive and sit where you want, choose simple Italian traditional offerings that are simply enhanced a little during lunch and evening service if need be, perhaps even having some of the main MDR stuff available there (I don't know ... I'd prefer not but .... ), but the core offering being an always available Italian Trattoria carte that would be easily serviced and available 24 hours. Perhaps slightly restricted between midnight and breakfast.

So at 2am if you fancy a munchy you can get a pizza and simple carafe of red followed by an esspresso and gelato ... and a grappa. And they deliver anywhere from here to any place including suites that you can eat. You pick up any phone and dial 666 or whatever and order and it comes. You pick up the phone and they deliver to you. Anywhere and anytime. This becomes the heart of the 24 hour always available menu and reestablishes that Italian heritage.

This isn't complicated and wouldn't cost much. Pizza bases can be pre-thrown and kept cold in a fridge and all a night staff would have to do is to top it and cook it. The pizza oven would always be on and as you know a neopolitan could be prepared and topped and cooked all within 90 seconds to two minutes. Anyone can be taught to top pizza and cook it and a "you got it" menu of topping choices. And a lot of the pasta is so easily prepared from cool using thermo without the need of overly qualified kitchen betallions.

I think having available all tables in La T at all times 24 hours and only a percentage bookable at dinner service the rest open seating, wouldn't be as expensive as it might first seem but would transform SS for a newer more informal customer base and have somewhere to be whenever you feel like it. And I'd be first to rebook and be happy here for extended stays of a few weeks or more. I'd have a home that was always open and where I could relax and eat simple stuff without worrying about bothering other people because I'm not wearing a suit and tie.

Any support or comments for a change such as this? Oh I fantacise .....:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We were disappointed by la terrazzain 2006... Yep that Long ago.... But that could have been due to spending too much time in regional Italy including places that were indeed "casa mama" ( not really but working with people you get invited to the home of the " famiglia"

I distinctly remember being in a small town in the south and having pizza ... 2 young girls who were backpacking g came in and were... I dont get it... These pizzas are so thin, they have no flavour.... They couldn't taste the herbs and the Serrano

We started chatting and they had jumped on the train from Rome to "we don't know where" they had seen us get off and as we spoke English (of a sort) they thought it must be a good place to get off....

Italian food and love could be a big selling point... All above big said I have made 3 pre reserves for la terrazza for our upcoming, just in case...

9 years is a long time

I understand about the kids, because almost all pizza cultures have morphed away from the original thin neapolitan style to the terrible over thick stuff. We also have the whole culture thing about the more toppings the better and the fact that 99.9% of pizza doesn't have the real biga / sourdough base. And very few use caputo flour.

But so many SS heritage is from the Naples area where the naval college is that has produced SS captains and senior staff. And not to put too finer point of it, Pizza is one of the cheapest things you can make and is one of the most universally satisfying things to eat ..... and smell whilkst being cooked. And it is so suitable for this type of thing. You prepare the dough in batch, and the longer it is in the fridge maturing slowly the better it gets. In Naples the prized pizza is always lunch time pizza rather than eveningpizza because it is nearly always from the previous days batch of dough whereas by the time you get to evening it is current day.

I could be satisfied for long periods with pizza and a caraffe of red eaten whilst slouching. Followed by an espresso and grappa.

Jeff

I could be satisfied for long periods with pizza and a caraffe of red eaten whilst slouching. Followed by an espresso and grappa.

Jeff

But on a day like today in the mid 30s you need an icy cold limoncello and a pistache or Baci gelato

edited to add

Nocciola (sp) is OK

Edited by MrsWaldo

But on a day like today in the mid 30s you need an icy cold limoncello and a pistache or Baci gelato

edited to add

Nocciola (sp) is OK

I could make you some of my (self)-awarded medal winning Caramel, Malteser, choccy ripple, cointreau .. and other things ... gelato ....

Send the address ... I'll send some over! It is still very autumnal here ..

Jeff

ps ... I hope mrscrab who has been loggin on and reading stuff does make time and join us here for some chat amongst like-minded and experienced ladies ..... it'd be nice to see her.

87C4E05C-D539-4091-9436-A1923B6B4930.jpg

C97C4E04-D918-46B5-96BC-034EFEE47E56.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

That ice cream looks fantastic Jeff.

I am not sure if this is the right place for discussion on this topic - trying to avoid the obvious cheerleaders for lines who appear elsewhere. Most people on this forum must enjoy Silversea (not sure about you Jeff, I suspect you have not cruised with them for some time), but I wonder how many like other lines equally/ more? I feel a bit of a fraud, not having cruised with Silversea for about 5 years (although done probably 4 cruises with them overall, on Cloud/Wind and Shadow), and now very much preferring the style of A N Other line. I do get the impression that Silversea is more reasonably priced for singletons than the others, which is bound to make a difference to people travelling on their own. Any comments, or is it best to avoid this topic?

Lola

Terry, That steak looks remarkably good if you don't mind me saying .... and ribeye my favlourite cut. I am incapapble of grilling steak without a probe .... I always grill it to 117 degrees and then it rests for five minutes or so to get to around 123 to 125 ... but your steak does look perfect without any messing around. You are a natrual! And iphone piccies... followed by Nikon .... to boot! Jeff

jpalbny: Just finished eating 1-1/2 of the 2 pizzas! I cook some of the toppings first' date=' like [b']mushrooms or thicker slices of sausage, pepperoni[/b], etc. But I don't cook the crust first; I've tried that and it makes it too tough. First one was lots of chopped garlic, arugula, red cherry tomatoes, and prosciutto slices on top.

Appreciate the added and nice food pictures from both Jeff and JP. Looking super good!! On Jeff comments about my ribeye steak, that cut does have more fat, but the flavor factor really soars with this tasty meat. Mostly, I have done NY strip steaks, but that cut does not have as much flavor. Personally, I am not that big of a steak guy. Good, but not my first choice. More for seafood, items with sauces, etc. On grilling, I do not use temperature probe. My wife believes, and it's kind of true, that I do have a good "eye" and touch for being skilled on the grill.

For mysty, YES, keep practicing and playing with your new camera. You are getting much better. The more you do, the more you learn.

The past few days have been busy, plus have a 9 am meeting today (on a Saturday), plus lots of college football today, etc. Will have more fun food and other visuals/items in the coming days. Things are getting much cooler here and the leafs are starting to be changing and dropping. Fall is here!! Plus, really getting focused on the South Africa-Botswana adventure. Monday is the first day allowed for booking tours, dinners, etc., with Silversea for that cruise.

NEW MEDIA??: Tuesday did meetings with a new local TV station News Director who formerly was with CNN and is very focused on the changes to "new/social media" in the future . . . AND . . . a group of about 25 journalists/government media folks from eastern Europe and former Soviet-controlled nations. This program with a couple other local media/political experts was through the U.S. State Department. These issues and questions for young folks, how people get info for the future, etc., are interesting and challenging. Lots more to share on those subjects. It's a changing world with so many more ways to get and share info. BUT, still only 24 hours in each day to do it "ALL"!! For people younger who are still working, trying to raise families, etc., it is a different world versus those at older ages who have established other media/info patterns.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,221 views for this posting.

JP, those pizza look wonderful ..... just wonderful! Yes, my question was some people like to cook the ham and others add it as a topping after cooking and yours look wonderful. I know you roll the base, but I'd love you to simply try enevelope folding and stretching to get long bubble crust.

C33449D8-7039-4C6E-B9B5-767E6F41D9A7.jpg

Your pizza and my pizza and both our pasta and gnocchi .... and Mrs Waldo's lasaqne and all our talk about Italian food over the months, made me start thinking about SS and where it all started, and if you like where it seemed not to really get started and sort of stop, particularly where highlighted on the other thread (where I now fear to tread ... ) about reveiws and food and dissapointments etc. And it does seem to me that a simple trick is being missed and a fairly low cost transformation opportunity not grasped.

SS always intended to benefit from it's Italian heritage and La Terrazza was supposed to be the iconic heart of that, but I really wonder whether it has even been allowed to work. Over fancy and often dissapointing offerings with only a handful of seats available during restricted times seem to combine to dissapoint many partly because they simply cannot book and partly because it isn't quite traditional Italian and isn't quite silver service. All retarded by simply unecessary picky menus.

I would love to see La T, more fully optimised and changed. I'd love to see it become a brighter, more informal, relaxed, 24 hour Pizza, Pasta and Gelato Trattoria. Not a Ristorante but Trattoria in atmosphere and philosphy. Perhaps other simple stuff, ie lasagne, pannini, ciabatta, olives, antipasti, cicchetti, stuzzichini antipasti (Italian versions of Tapas ... simple and quick though) etc. An esspresso and cake or tiramisu always available anytime ... and of course a grappa. All easy traditional informal stuff with silver service not even attempted but left for the main dining room. Formal wear never expected. You can slouch here and relax 24 hours. Even Myster would love it.

So with the exception of Breakfast time, you can simply arrive and sit where you want, choose simple Italian traditional offerings that are simply enhanced a little during lunch and evening service if need be, perhaps even having some of the main MDR stuff available there (I don't know ... I'd prefer not but .... ), but the core offering being an always available Italian Trattoria carte that would be easily serviced and available 24 hours. Perhaps slightly restricted between midnight and breakfast.

So at 2am if you fancy a munchy you can get a pizza and simple carafe of red followed by an esspresso and gelato ... and a grappa. And they deliver anywhere from here to any place including suites that you can eat. You pick up any phone and dial 666 or whatever and order and it comes. You pick up the phone and they deliver to you. Anywhere and anytime. This becomes the heart of the 24 hour always available menu and reestablishes that Italian heritage.

This isn't complicated and wouldn't cost much. Pizza bases can be pre-thrown and kept cold in a fridge and all a night staff would have to do is to top it and cook it. The pizza oven would always be on and as you know a neopolitan could be prepared and topped and cooked all within 90 seconds to two minutes. Anyone can be taught to top pizza and cook it and a "you got it" menu of topping choices. And a lot of the pasta is so easily prepared from cool using thermo without the need of overly qualified kitchen betallions.

I think having available all tables in La T at all times 24 hours and only a percentage bookable at dinner service the rest open seating, wouldn't be as expensive as it might first seem but would transform SS for a newer more informal customer base and have somewhere to be whenever you feel like it. And I'd be first to rebook and be happy here for extended stays of a few weeks or more. I'd have a home that was always open and where I could relax and eat simple stuff without worrying about bothering other people because I'm not wearing a suit and tie.

Any support or comments for a change such as this? Oh I fantacise .....:)

Jeff

I vote "YES" on proposition A, Jeff! And you are right, Myster would LOVE it!

OOOOOH! I love her! My kind of woman! Wouldn't she make an amazing friend? Vicious sounds like an awesome show. Have you seen it?

Does this mean I'm fired? :(

:D

No, but you might not have to copy and paste as much. That will give you more time to keep us all happy with your food pictures! Some day I will try stretching instead of rolling. Old habit though and it works for me...

La Terraza as you envision it does sound nice. Believe it or not, one of the midsized Princess ships we sailed on years ago had an Italian trattoria like that. Open seating, wine and pizza along with a few other simple menu items. We skipped dinner to eat there at least once, and snacked there a few other times. Mind you, skipping dinner in the MDR of a Princess ship isn't a huge sacrifice!

Lola, we used to love Oceania very much but in the end they are just more expensive than SS. SS being all-inclusive for drinks won out, compared to having to sign for every drink on O. Some day we hope to try O again but haven't found the right itinerary. If SS goes too far in the all-inclusive genre (with higher prices for included tours on all itineraries) then we might have to reconsider, and see if O's price point becomes more favorable. Unless it's a totally unfamiliar part of the world where we're not comfortable going off on our own, we usually don't take many ship's tours.

Some debate whether O's food is better; they really did have excellent food and it was something we really looked forward to on our cruises. It's been 7 years since we've been on their ships though so I can't fairly compare any more. We're happy with the offerings on both lines, but food quality is certainly a delicate subject! I think poor Jeff is still smarting from being slapped on the other thread, for a comment that just raised the possibility that SS could do better.

We also have been very pleased with Uniworld, as evidenced by our last two cruises with them, and our upcoming one. But I'm wondering whether we'll be slowing down with the cruises for a while, and doing more land-based trips for the next few years. I hate to say it, but the itineraries are looking a bit tired. We want to get to Asia but the itineraries we want are a bit long. We'll keep looking!

JP, you provide such well-reasoned, rational and balanced reviews. I find them very helpful. We did one cruise with O and one with SS so far and I agree with your analysis. The only thing I would add is that SS staff were more attentive and friendlier.

Thanks JP, yes, quite right. There is a further comment on that "other thread" which says the food is great and that there is no provisioning problem. Fair enough. In my mind, if you buy the very cheapest vacuum packed product you can with nothing that could possibly cheaper instead of spending a touch more and getting better quality vacuum packs .... well that is a provisioning problem. If may driven by a silly level of diem catering budgets unsuitable for a so called 6 star line ... but it is a provisioning problem none the less. The problem is there is clearly a market for that quality who thinks it wonderful and one is left wondering what it is that is the best that some have experienced. What is true is that it will not get better if they don't think it needs to. But I can say it here can't I. Safely. I think. :)

Mysty, I'm not entitled to any plaudits with respect to the icecream because the reality is that anyone can make icecream better than you have ever tasted before if you have an icecream machine. My Gaggia is a wonderful thing. You switch it on, let it get cold, put the ingredients in and perhaps a touch more vanilla and flavourings and it makes ice-cream. All you need is an over fertile imagination and are happy to experiment and you will end up with an icecream that is tailor made for yourself. I no longer even hand make the custard base but just buy good quality fresh refrigerated custard and in it goes with everything else that happens to be on my mind. I've made a lot of interesting experimental ice cream a favourite one being something I've mentioned before and that is my christmas pudding icecream. I made it before other well known icecream makers sold some. Something that will be happening again in a few months.

Re your camera. Learning the M3 will be easier for you than me because you are more experienced at setting controls on a camera. But by far the most important thing you can do next with your Sony is that once you're happy you've got the basics which I think you have is to customise and programme those functions keys. That will make the world of difference.

Today wifey abandoned me for a shopping expedition with daughter and an onward trip to see the grandchildren. So I was able to eat men things, like some jacket (baked) potato with chicken korma and some cake and a bottle of Primitivo. We don't do seperations well and she has been calling me very often and I am sitting by the window like a dog staring out and waiting for her to come back. She has just called ... and she is on her way. :)

Jeff

2AA6E2AB-1C4D-40EE-8611-B0D624DE1B5E.jpg

77B75DE5-63C8-4826-908A-EB781CB8EAEA.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff