Crafting while cruising

judymag

This sounds wonderful. I need to take a cruise without the kiddo and just take naps, knit, and eat. I could really get behind that type of cruise!

Before the kiddo, I took it on flights all the time and it was a great time passer- and I got Christmas gifts done!

Bring it and have fun!

On our TA last fall we had a group of quilters from the roll call that met everyday. They organized it on the roll call and had not ever sailed together before. One lady brought a portable sewing machine.

I participated in jewelry classes on ever sea day. [had one card making and one scrapbook class] That is not something I do at home--but, on a cruise, why not? I came home with a 2 necklaces, 1 bracelet and earrings. They were trying to get rid of some kits they had and I bought 4 for $10. The activity staff gave each of us that did that a second kit of each [to make sure we were not missing any pieces]. ;)

She was moving to the Q when we left the cruise and I think she wanted to leave the craft closet as empty as possible for the next person. None of us complained.

Also, there was a man that did paint by numbers. In the Solarium each day. [do not imagine the childish kits you have seen. this was a VERY detailed and professional looking project] Even the captain came by to see his progress. One picture took him the whole cruise.

So, lots of crafters onboard. :) Anything goes.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

It's no different than curling up with a good book. I've taken several things with me from knitting, crocheting, to small needlepoint projects. Love those days at sea where you can read or work on your projects out on the balcony or in a comfy chair on the ship. So relaxing!

I have sat in the Aquarium bar during the day doing jigsaw puzzles. That probably looked much more odd than crocheting would. I've also hung out on deck drawing with my 100 pack of colored pencils. Actually, now that I think of it my husband and I assembled the favors for our wedding the following day at the aft pool on the Crown. Bring whatever is fun for you. The heck with what anyone else thinks.

I've been bringing counted cross stitch on cruises for years. As someone said, great conversation starter and sailing single, nice because I've people say I'll get my knitting and join you. Princess always has a time listed for knitters and such. I usually like to sit where there is a traffic flow so I can people watch, too!

My daughter and her BFF bring their cross stitch projects; I bring my quilting (I quilt by hand and bring squares to work on). We usually sit on Deck 5 or 6 by the windows and work away! There was a knitting group on our TA last year that met every sea day. I also have a friend that has 2 quilting cruises scheduled for next year! The organizer brings all brand new sewing machines (with the hopes that the attendees will buy the sewing machines, of course) and they are given a conference room for their private use the entire duration of the cruise. So there are lots of crafters on these cruises! :D

My 15 daughter is an avid crocheter. She carries some project with her almost everywhere she goes. She has her own little business. She doesn't care if people think that's weird. I say go for it if it's something you enjoy. If we were on the same cruise she'd probably be doing the same.

Funny you should say that: one cruise had a small group of quilters on board. they had a room set aside for their exclusive use the entire time.. and more than one brought portable sewing machines.and set them up.

I think it was Holland America but I have seen a"quilting cruise" advertised. In that case there would be machines brought by some at least.

On the Brilliance TA back in May there was a group of knitters, crocheters and a beader who met up through Cruise Critic. We met each sea day at 2 PM in the Windjammer. By the end of the cruise we had a few other ladies joining us, some just to stop and chat or ask some questions or advice on projects they were working on at home. Even some husbands stopped by to chat *and mine got some ideas for some future projects including dying yarn with Kool-Aid:)) It was a very international group and a great way to spend those sea days when the weather was REALLY bad!

Beth

[ATTACH]359648[/ATTACH]this is what I'll be working on have started another I've brought my crochet hooks and circular needles on board the plane on a number of occasions so no probs there if my work holidays allowed it is do a crochet crowd cruise

WOW I'd love the pattern for that!!

I usually bring my crocheting with me, I usually crochet afghans.

I either start a project so the piece is small or I do a project that has several small mofits that have to be joined. This way the piece I am working on will not hit the floor.

Enjoy your cruise.

I used to own a thread company until just over a year ago and was invited to go on several Needlework Cruises, all of which were great. I always enjoy seeing people crafting and love to stop for a chat and see what they are doing :)

J