Airport for cruise out of NYC

dottiedef

Which airport is best to use when sailing out of NYC? Good flights into JFK and NEwark. Thanks for advice. Assume the Regal will be at Red Hook but not positive.

Dottie:)

We use LGA first, JFK second and EWR third.

We use a car service to the port.

Which airport is best to use when sailing out of NYC? Good flights into JFK and NEwark. Thanks for advice. Assume the Regal will be at Red Hook but not positive.

Dottie:)

You know...looking at the map...it depends on traffic...not necessarily distance. Red Hook isn't any more convenient to one or the other... I personally would go JFK, LGA then Newark. [i put Newark last ONLY because you have the Holland Tunnel Toll into NYC then the Battery Tunnel Toll to get to Brooklyn] The Regal is listed as docking in Red Hook...at least the 4 sailings this October.

Check three things:

1) See what your best airfares are: Is there a BIG difference in prices?

2) Check on transportation prices.

3) Which airport gets you non-stop flights arriving and departing at the right times!

Weigh the three out and see if there is a winner!

HLR

AND....you can always fly into one airport and out of another. I bought a one way ticket on one airline for less than 1/2 a round trip and I'm returning on a different airline using reward miles. I got flights arriving for my cruise at the time I wanted and departing when I wanted for $142!

Only go to Newark if you're cruising out of Bayonne. The taxi fare to the terminal will be expensive. Between LGA and JFK I would go with whatever is cheaper. Personally I prefer LGA, I feel it is easier to get into and out of. Some people would disagree with me though. LGA is closer to Manhattan if you are leaving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

...Which airport gets you non-stop flights arriving and departing at the right times...

This is a huge factor for me, especially during times of the year prone to flight delays. As other threads have pointed out, even flying in a day or two early doesn't always work if you can't be rebooked for days due to a missed connection enroute.

JFK generally has the most non-stops from the West Coast, but not sure about NC.

You know...looking at the map...it depends on traffic...not necessarily distance. Red Hook isn't any more convenient to one or the other... I personally would go JFK, LGA then Newark. [i put Newark last ONLY because you have the Holland Tunnel Toll into NYC then the Battery Tunnel Toll to get to Brooklyn] The Regal is listed as docking in Red Hook...at least the 4 sailings this October.

Or go via Staten Island and the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

Of the three airports listed not one is really easy to use or meaningfully more convenient to get to your ship from. Without knowing where you are flying from, where your ship will be docked and what time you'd like to arrive in NY determines the amount of hassle, time and expense you will encounter getting to your ship.

LGA is always busy and a pain but LGA would still be my airport of choice [if I could book a non stop flight] due to its proximity to all the cruise ship terminals. Keep in mind that there are fewer non stop flights into LGA when compared to JFK or Newark. Choose your poison - the better odds of finding a non stop flight (JFK or Newark) or potentially several flight changes (LGA).

The risk of misplaced baggage grows by the number of connections your baggage needs to make :mad:. Regardless of your flight and arrival airport choice once you get the miserable plane ride stuff behind you have a great cruise :).

LGA is the closest but they have the most delays.

Living in the Metro area all my life, JFK is the most dependable. It was just on the news yesterday that LGA has the worse record with delays - 70%. Unless you are flying in a couple of days early - for Red Hook I would choose JFK.

We always fly into JFK and although we never get the Princess transfers, we do when sailing out of NYC. For $28 per person, it seems like a reasonable fee (compared to when we took a taxi) and do not have to worry.....just enjoy the ride to port.

Even more reasonable is a limo service such as Dial7 or Carmel.