Carry on full size luggage?

Lakufu

We leave on the carnival splendor in just one week yay!

However I have a question.

Are you allowed to carry on your full sized suitcase? We do have faster to the fun so know we will have access to the cabin right away, can we bypass the use of a porter and just bring out suitcase with us so we know it makes it to the cabin safe and sound and we have no delay in waiting for it?

Has anyone done this, would carnival give a fuss over it? I know I can bring on a small carry on bag. We will be cruising with one large suitcase and one small carry on size for two people.

I think a big reason why they discourage people carrying on their own bags is that it can really slow down the flow for embarkation. I'd just be ready for them to be insistent on taking your bags, be sure you can handle your bags without assistance, and be mindful of what is packed when you go through security. Otherwise, enjoy FTTF! :)

You do know that when your suitcase goes through the carry-on x-ray and they see something suspicious they will pull you over there and then. I've seen many a person spending considerable time at security before they get on the ship...not a fun way to start a cruise.

If you check your bags they will just call you down to security once you are onboard the ship...much less embarrassing and much less time consuming.

Besides those ramps you have to negotiate when getting on the ship aren't much fun with a huge suitcase even if you are wheeling it.

But, no one will stop you from carrying on all your luggage.

The key is can you handle the luggage easily yourself?

We always take our luggage on board without any trouble.

There's only a problem at security if you've packed something that is against the rules which we do NOT do!

And also that it fits through the scanner which is like at security at an airport.

The width (when standing up )of the luggage is the only issue at the scanner.

How tall it is wouldn't matter so fairly large suitcases will go through pretty easily. IF you cannot lift it though then that will be an issue! Even rolling luggage needs to be lifted at some point.

At the Port of Miami, there were workers specifically telling people who had full size luggage to take it to the porters.

I have not seen this happen at other ports.

They tried to tell me that at NYC one time with the same size suitcases we ALWAYS carry on - 16" x 24" I told her to read the sign - HUGE yellow sign with black letters like 3 inches tall that said 16" x 24" We just kept walking. Fit through the scanner with loads of room to spare - everyone around us cheered :)

According to the rules, if it fits through the scanner you can carry it on. However, I have had both porters and Carnival personnel tell me I could not take my bag on with me even though it would fit through the scanner. They would not let me walk into the building with it. So it can vary by port. But with FTTF you should get your luggage fairly quickly if you give it to a porter.

Edited by nwcruiselover

Bring a carry on with what you will need for a few hours that day. Grab a map, walk around, and tour the ship. Grab a copy of the Fun Times and see what's up for the day. Head to your muster station a little early so you know where it is at and can get to the restaurant before the crowd. Your luggage will be there in a bit. Main thing, Enjoy yourself!!

Bring a carry on with what you will need for a few hours that day. Grab a map, walk around, and tour the ship. Grab a copy of the Fun Times and see what's up for the day. Head to your muster station a little early so you know where it is at and can get to the restaurant before the crowd. Your luggage will be there in a bit. Main thing, Enjoy yourself!!

I can enjoy myself a lot better knowing my luggage is all safely in my own hands. I hate checking luggage!

The porters have no right to tell you that you cannot bring luggage on yourself! We would have a serious problem if someone tried to do that with us!

So far we have not encountered that and I hope we never do!

I doubt the porter would, security is something thing else.

I can enjoy myself a lot better knowing my luggage is all safely in my own hands. I hate checking luggage!

If that makes you feel better and it fits there is no issue. We have done cruises to nowhere where you had to carry on.

We leave on the carnival splendor in just one week yay!

However I have a question.

Are you allowed to carry on your full sized suitcase? We do have faster to the fun so know we will have access to the cabin right away, can we bypass the use of a porter and just bring out suitcase with us so we know it makes it to the cabin safe and sound and we have no delay in waiting for it?

Has anyone done this, would carnival give a fuss over it? I know I can bring on a small carry on bag. We will be cruising with one large suitcase and one small carry on size for two people.

As long as your luggage can fit through an airport sized scanner, no one can stop you from carrying it on the ship yourself. One thing you might want to keep in mind is that unlike airports, cruise terminals usually have long, angled ramps, and escalators that you will have to navigate to get to the ship. If you should run into a problem handling your large piece of luggage you will be kind of on your own since porters (actually members of the longshoremens union) will not be available to assist you

I think a big reason why they discourage people carrying on their own bags is that it can really slow down the flow for embarkation. I'd just be ready for them to be insistent on taking your bags, be sure you can handle your bags without assistance, and be mindful of what is packed when you go through security. Otherwise, enjoy FTTF! :)

If they took all of your bags you couldn't bring your two bottles of wine on. :rolleyes:

If they took all of your bags you couldn't bring your two bottles of wine on. :rolleyes:

Actually its one bottle of wine not two and one bottle fits easily in a small satchel, purse, or backpack.

If someone wants to bring on all their luggage it is perfectly permissible unless the port has its own set of rules...you aren't onboard your ship yet so the port authority and its associated unions may insist that anything larger than a certain size be checked for the safety of others.

Just a reminder that 3/4s of the elevators onboard are closed to passengers during embarkation because they are slated to actual carry luggage that is being delivered and the other elevators are very slow as they tend to be crammed full of passengers lugging their pop (but there has to be less impact now that water is no longer allowed) and all their carry-on.

The OP has concerns about the safety of his luggage if they check it but in all my cruises I have never not received my luggage or have I had "injured" luggage, though I'd bet the newer 360 wheels may be subject to more abuse based on what I see coming out of the carousel at the airport.

At the Port of Miami, there were workers specifically telling people who had full size luggage to take it to the porters.

I have not seen this happen at other ports.

It happens at Galveston too. We have seen people turned away at the door of the terminal with full size luggage.

Frankly, I couldn't be bothered to lug my luggage on or off the ship. We get a porter on both ends as soon as we get to the terminal and are relieved to be rid of it. We have always gotten it delivered to our cabin, but always cross pack just in case. Now that they are tagging Priority baggage it gets there even earlier. On our last cruise on the Breeze out of Miami last year it beat us to the cabin.