Will the collapsing exchange rate effect your cruising this season?

Oops Pushka, stupid spell check!

Im not sure yet. I cant see my purchased OBC in my personaliser to see if it is US or AUD. I can't think it would be a weird US amount when it posts - eg $21.20 instead of say $25. I do know I saved AUD$40 by pre paying the gratuities according to current charge rate ($12USD a day) and what I was charged to my card. So favourable exchange rate there.

The dropping dollar for a change is actually in my favour as our upcoming VOS cruise was a good deal, plus OBC ended up at $550 USD which at todays rate is just short of $800AUD! May use some of it for a future cruise booking open ticket so it generates more OBC down the track!!:D

Combined with our Diamond discounts/freebies I doubt we will have to dip into our pockets at all this cruise.

Next cruise on Ovation is Jan 2017, so too far off to know what the dollar will do.

But so glad we did Alaska/Canada & Hawaii in 2013 when it was about 92c per USD!

If anyone is interested, Royal Caribbean is still offering the rate of $1.30 = $1 us. So at almost 77c its a great buy. I purchased $1200us yesterday for my cruise in December.

Thankfully Princess is still around that mark too. Will keep topping my OBC as well. Still got a few months to go but who knows when they will all adjust down. Might call Princess tomorrow to see exactly what OBC amount I bought as it doesnt show on the personaliser.

Give them a call and they can do it over the phone. I believe that they will only do it if you are 90 days or less out from your cruise

I bought some OBC in July for our December Celebrity cruise. I just phoned them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Checked in the last couple of days and Premium package plus 18% gratuities on Celebrity is now equivalent to $99AUD per day!!!!! Classic not much cheaper. Will have to think twice about cruising. Australia is looking good.

Exactly. And then add excursions at a 35% currency mark up :(. We had planned to cruise Australia but are doing a land trip instead. We're about 5% higher than the AU$. I'd rather pay 95% than 135%.

Something is weird with the Princess site. The prices on the .com.au are coming up in USD. They have never done that before. I thought the fare on my Cruisetour had dropped by $300AUD until I saw the USD. But calculating that USD price back to AUD and the price comes in at $2300 AUD more expensive than what I booked! :eek:

Something is weird with the Princess site. The prices on the .com.au are coming up in USD. They have never done that before. I thought the fare on my Cruisetour had dropped by $300AUD until I saw the USD. But calculating that USD price back to AUD and the price comes in at $2300 AUD more expensive than what I booked! :eek:

I'm not seeing that, Pushka. I'm getting AUD as usual.

What browser are you using?

Chrome. I have a hold booked as I was curious. I'll post a shot of the email advice.

While on the website all the contact details were for Australia.

30c11592b88f557b50936d7563a1aad0.jpg

TripleJ, curious to know what price you get for this landcruise:

Island Princess, landtour 'off the beaten track' commencing May 26 2016 for a minisuite. Cruise starts June 1.

Edited by Pushka

In some sort of weird reverse universe it appears that the lower the AUD is Vs the USD the cheaper RCL offers it's local specials. Some of them are as good if not better deals than those cheapies the US residents used to get. Maybe not the added perks but the deals are great.

If I was a USA resident I would be trying to book with an Aussie agent.

Of course the drinks prices are still significantly higher now but I can make do with the happy hour(s) freebees I get.

So at present the AUD dive is having little effect apart from me avoiding the USA and their TA's and diverting my travel plans toward local cruises and cruises and land holidays in Asia for the time being.

Edited by woodyren

Chrome. I have a hold booked as I was curious. I'll post a shot of the email advice.

While on the website all the contact details were for Australia.

TripleJ, curious to know what price you get for this landcruise:

Island Princess, landtour 'off the beaten track' commencing May 26 2016 for a minisuite. Cruise starts June 1.

They run a few with the same name, but different dates/itineraries. Confusing!

Assuming it's KB6, which seems the closest, I'm getting AU pricing as well.

Pricing Summary

Guest 1

$3,574.00

Guest 2

$3,574.00

Cruise Total†

$7,148.00

Transfers

$93.00

Total Price (AUD)

$7,241.00

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses§ included

$497.72

Are you connecting thru a VPN based in the US? I also get foreign currency amounts on the AU Princess site when using VPN.

They run a few with the same name, but different dates/itineraries. Confusing!

Assuming it's KB6, which seems the closest, I'm getting AU pricing as well.

Pricing Summary

Guest 1

$3,574.00

Guest 2

$3,574.00

Cruise Total†

$7,148.00

Transfers

$93.00

Total Price (AUD)

$7,241.00

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses§ included

$497.72

Thats it. And I'm not using a VPN.

Weird hey? But check the price difference! $7242 AUD versus $6800 USD (around $9500 AUD).

For anyone cruising on ships using Au dollars there will be no problem. ...

but how about the others?

I believe Diamond Princess will be in Au.

How about the RCCL ships and Celebrity ?

So far, not yet. Have done two Celeb cruises this year (Panama & Alaska) and have just booked a third with RCI (Sydney NZ Perth Nov 1). Despite the dollar fall there are good deals to be had.

Hi

Was on the Radiance in Feb this year just as the dollar started to sink... we managed to get some 1 for 1 obc at the time (was awesome!). Because of this I paid for my non alcoholic drinks package when I got on board rather than have to deal with the dropping dollar online. Am travelling to NZ on the Pacific Pearl in November so am hoping the NZ dollar weakens against the AU. Fingers crossed.