Will the collapsing exchange rate effect your cruising this season?

I mentioned my concern after reading this in Celebrity booking conditions "We reserve the right to impose on any existing booking or new booking (whether paid in full or not) a supplement for fuel or other matters without prior notice". I am sure this or similar clauses are included in "conditions" in all cruise companies. So this does give them the out to increase fees when they consider it necessary.

I have never heard of that condition being applied. It is a hangover from the days when oil prices were soaring and I think it was only to be used if oil went over $80 US a barrel. Todays price was around $40.

We actually did get by it once.

About 2008 I think. Certainly when he $ was in free fall.

Fortunately we had a receipt trim the TA that said no price increases after final payment had been made, and while they hadn't paid Clebrity yet, e had paid them.

They ended up paying us half the difference to cancel the cruise otherwise they were going to loose a LOT.

Have look at pre purchasing some OBC they were giving an exchange rate of 90c the other week. It can help ease the hit

Where and how did you pay the extra OBC credit? I can't find it anywhere on the RCC site.

The falling $A vs US$ is obviously a consideration when we are looking at future cruises. An option is to sail on an 'A$' cruise, which we will do on Carnival Spirit in Oct/Nov. But the Fx rate was not a consideration in choosing that cruise.

We do love Royal & just booked on Explorer for next Mar/Apr. We got a good price in $A (fixed), pre-paid T&G's and have US$ bought a few months ago on a travelmoney card to cover on-board expenses. We will look at pre-booking shore tours, although we likely won't be doing ship tours at these ports where we been before. We get some free drinks etc with our C&A membership, so it makes sense to us.

You only live once!

Where and how did you pay the extra OBC credit? I can't find it anywhere on the RCC site.

I just bought some today and the rate was $1 to $1.30. Call Royal and they will help you purchase it.

For me it is more of a "psychological" thing. Cruising holidays/travels cost a lot of money and are discretionary :) We recently went on a trip to the US which cost us around $20K -- I calculated that the drop from 1AUD=1US to 1AUD=0.73US cost us approximately an extra 2K - so the trip would have been 18K IF the AUD had not dropped over the last year.

Now, this is not enough to stop us from travelling - but it is almost impossible for me to NOT let the cost of some things overseas (and on ships) affect my holiday -- but only because of the psychology. I do REALLY do resent having to pay ($10US +18% grat)x1.4 = $16.50 for one glass(150ml - so very small glass!) of wine. -- or (typically) for your standard hamburger and chips meal in the US, $18US+20%grat)x1.4=$30AUD!!!!

We CAN afford it - and we ARE on holiday --- but what would we do if the local pub here in Oz wanted $30 for a hamburger????? I know what I would do- walk out the door!! :)

So - for me, the question of "will it affect our future travels" is yes!! - but not in the way that most think about it.

Barry

-- or (typically) for your standard hamburger and chips meal in the US, $18US+20%grat)x1.4=$30AUD!!!!

We CAN afford it - and we ARE on holiday --- but what would we do if the local pub here in Oz wanted $30 for a hamburger????? I know what I would do- walk out the door!! :)

I always find it amusing when people complain that eating in Australia is so expensive, compared to the US (which you're not, just the pricing shows an example). Yet the sums don't show a huge difference. It's more about where you eat.

Sure, you can get cheap places to eat in the US, but you also can here. But if you compare a suburban eatery in the US vs a Circular quay restaurant, of course it'll be dearer in the centre. Just like choosing a suburban Australian eatery vs a NY restaurant.

Edited by The_Big_M

For me it is more of a "psychological" thing. Cruising holidays/travels cost a lot of money and are discretionary :) We recently went on a trip to the US which cost us around $20K -- I calculated that the drop from 1AUD=1US to 1AUD=0.73US cost us approximately an extra 2K - so the trip would have been 18K IF the AUD had not dropped over the last year.

Now, this is not enough to stop us from travelling - but it is almost impossible for me to NOT let the cost of some things overseas (and on ships) affect my holiday -- but only because of the psychology. I do REALLY do resent having to pay ($10US +18% grat)x1.4 = $16.50 for one glass(150ml - so very small glass!) of wine. -- or (typically) for your standard hamburger and chips meal in the US, $18US+20%grat)x1.4=$30AUD!!!!

So - for me, the question of "will it affect our future travels" is yes!! - but not in the way that most think about it.

Barry

At those prices for a burger and chips why do they all complain about the price of eating in Aus, even $18 is getting up there. Before you add the grat or exchange rate.

All prices are in Australian on the site. But I'm guessing they will be changing with the exchange rate!

Yes, the prices fluctuate on RCI site, was going to purchase drink packages but reconsidering due to the exchange rate. Not sailing until January 16 so ever hopeful that something will change.

If the rate keeps dropping will still cruise, just won't be as jubilant as usual :p

At those prices for a burger and chips why do they all complain about the price of eating in Aus, even $18 is getting up there. Before you add the grat or exchange rate.

Well, that $18 was for a burger, chips and salad in a "proper" sit down restaurant ( but nothing fancy) -- I think that price would not be uncommon in say the bistro of a pub or club here in Oz ( maybe not in the bush) but certainly in the cities!!! The killer for us though was the addon 20% tip and 40% currency premium.

Barry

Well, that $18 was for a burger, chips and salad in a "proper" sit down restaurant ( but nothing fancy) -- I think that price would not be uncommon in say the bistro of a pub or club here in Oz ( maybe not in the bush) but certainly in the cities!!! The killer for us though was the addon 20% tip and 40% currency premium.

Barry

Yeah probably but my point is they then complain about the prices here.

Went to the pub a couple of weeks ago, burger with the lot (and I do mean the lot) with more chips than even I can eat $15, no tip no grats so it just leaves me puzzled when I hear complaints about prices in Aus.

One thing I have noticed is RCL is really going hard on the sales at the moment to get people in. Like the balcony ones etc.

I also seen the pricing of NCL cruises on the Star. Very high. What are they thinking. If your going to push into a market on a US dollar ship at least offer a point of difference.

They don't want to compete on price, or underprice. Plus their base price is US, and then converted.

And given the limited visit, they're probably expecting to get people who want to sail with them upfront. If after they get all the keen ones there's a lot of vacancies they can look to market, but that's not the best way to start.

As far as the USD ships go my money will be better spent back with my US agent where 1. my cruise fare is much cheaper still ahead even with the exchange rate ....2. getting price drops isn't a battle.. 3... cancellation fee's etc if any are fair and 4. where the likes of free prepaid grats , obc and even drinks package's are more readily offered without the cruise fare being jacked up dramatically the way it is done here !!! .... if i play my cards right and bide my time we , like before, might even get all 3 :)

I have 2 big international cruises to book with RCL so Diamond status helps reduce our drinks account just need to hunt down OBC's and/or free grats ..if the exchange rate is fair will pay in full when i book if not will wait and watch that too lol .... getting more for our money is what it is all about for us so the hunt is on:)

[quote name='aussie cruzer']I booked the Ncl Singapore to Hong Hong yesterday...it included beverage package

For 11 days....balcony aprox $2000 Aussie +tax...plus you have to pre pay your gratuities if booked in Aussie dollars.[/QUOTE]

Was that booked directly through NCL or an agent?

[quote name='badgerbill']As far as the USD ships go my money will be better spent back with my US agent where 1. my cruise fare is much cheaper still ahead even with the exchange rate ....2. getting price drops isn't a battle.. 3... cancellation fee's etc if any are fair and 4. where the likes of free prepaid grats , obc and even drinks package's are more readily offered without the cruise fare being jacked up dramatically the way it is done here !!! .... if i play my cards right and bide my time we , like before, might even get all 3 :)
I have 2 big international cruises to book with RCL so Diamond status helps reduce our drinks account just need to hunt down OBC's and/or free grats ..if the exchange rate is fair will pay in full when i book if not will wait and watch that too lol .... getting more for our money is what it is all about for us so the hunt is on:)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You would have to be very selective with your choice of cruise. Good luck. A massive currency change could wipe out any gain in booking with overseas agents.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Albert Bell']We just booked a 14 day Copenhagen to Barcelona cruise on the NCL Star for September next year.

We booked in US$ and now we are hoping the Au$ goes up before July next year.:)[/QUOTE]

I think its more likely to head down a bit maybe to 0.65c. i wouldn't be expecting any rapid improvement in the AUD. IMHO.

[quote name='Albert Bell']Your probably right but alot will happen in the next 12 months.:)[/QUOTE]

Yea...like lots of Australians cancelling cruises on American based Cruise lines. And at the same time most of whom have in the last couple of months increased their beverage charges considerably. Edited by happysnapper

Our next cruise is on Sea Princess after travelling mainly on Royal for the last few years. Aussie dollars from Brisbane should be good!

One question - when Royal charged me for some onboard credit in Aussie dollars I still got hit with an overseas transaction fee due to it being processed offshore. Do Princess transactions in Aussie dollars incur the same fee or are they processed locally? Thanks!

[quote name='aronde']Our next cruise is on Sea Princess after travelling mainly on Royal for the last few years. Aussie dollars from Brisbane should be good!

One question - when Royal charged me for some onboard credit in Aussie dollars I still got hit with an overseas transaction fee due to it being processed offshore. Do Princess transactions in Aussie dollars incur the same fee or are they processed locally? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Never been hit for an OS transaction fee with Princess.