Car rentals from fort lauderdale pier

buffalogal7

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to reserve a rental car from the Ft. Lauderdale pier after a cruise? I am cruising on the FlowerPower Cruise leaving February 29 and returning March 5, 2016. I really don't want to pay beaucoup bucks to take a shuttle to the airport dragging my luggage just to rent a car. Thank you and happy sailing.

I know Enterprise car rental does pickups. Not sure if they would at the port, but you can call and find out....

I don't know of any other company that picks up customers to bring back to the office to fill out paperwork.

Hertz has a location near the port, and they will pick you up at your pier. The rental location is about 1/2 mile from the port. Not sure where FlowerPower Cruise docks, but I would call Hertz rental office at the pier and ask the question.

Assuming you had already dropped off your passengers and luggage at the port would the rental car companies typically give you a drop off back to the pier if you had a precruise rental?

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Yes, most or all of them do. The local offices near the pier have shuttles but sometimes the wait has been long enough, and we've been anxious enough, that we've jumped in a cab for the $5 or $10 fare to the pier.

Most of the rental offices from the airport also run shuttles, or participate in a rental car center bus, to the pier as well.

But I would always recommend calling the local office for details and confirmation.

Assuming you had already dropped off your passengers and luggage at the port would the rental car companies typically give you a drop off back to the pier if you had a precruise rental?

We've rented several times from Thrifty both pre and post cruise and find it very convenient. The first time I called and checked and was told not to drop other family members at the ship - we should all arrive at the Thrifty office, drop the car and grab the shuttle. They know when they're going to be busy and have a bunch of shuttles running.

The harder one is waiting for a shuttle when you're getting off the ship and going back to Thrifty. Once we were at the farthest dock and the buses would fill up at the closer docks then head back to the office. We finally talked to a port security guard who radioed to the port gate to tell the next Thrifty bus to come all the way back to us first.

Done with Hertz and Avis at Port Everglades, both with free shuttle roundtrip. It could take a while till they pick you up, beacuse they serve ALL piers, but they always pass, so be patient.

They take all your family and luggage at no charge.

Edited by Pipo

Avis has an office on 17th St. across from the Hyatt Pier 66. They have a free shuttle from the port.

so you basically walk out of the cruise port with your luggage and you can see the shuttle? does it keep going around and around? i am so new at this...lol

so you basically walk out of the cruise port with your luggage and you can see the shuttle? does it keep going around and around? i am so new at this...lol

Yes, the shuttle stops at all the terminals with ships. When you leave the terminal, ask the guides where to wait for the shuttles. I would also ask the local Avis office if they need you to call for the shuttle.

Edited by clarea

Thanks LSIMON and the other posters for the feedback. Suspect I would just drop everyone off and go drop the car off and depending on convenience shuttle or more likely cab back given the short distance involved.

I have booked Budget, 1515 South East, 17th street causeway, 33316. Will I be able to walk there or is there a shuttle that I need to take? Thanks

The port is an industrial type area and not conducive to walking. You would need a shuttle or taxi.

Some of the car rental locations run shuttles automatically, and some you need to call to get the shuttle to your location and reserve a spot. You need to call the rental agency to find out the details. You'll get the best information by looking up the direct number to the local office rather than calling the national 800 number.

can you tell me what the location you used for Thrifty or budget that you dropped car off and they would shuttle you to the ship. Thank you!

Either the airport location or the local Budget location at 1515 SE 17th St #117a, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. The latter is right outside the port gate (but not walking distance).

The only issue you'll find with the local locations is that they are your typical neighborhood type operation so there are only a few employees there so they can only check in/out one or two customers at a time. As a result if you get several parties in line it can take a while. The airport location is a couple miles away but has the full staffing to handle a bigger crowd.

Either the airport location or the local Budget location at 1515 SE 17th St #117a, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. The latter is right outside the port gate (but not walking distance).

The only issue you'll find with the local locations is that they are your typical neighborhood type operation so there are only a few employees there so they can only check in/out one or two customers at a time. As a result if you get several parties in line it can take a while. The airport location is a couple miles away but has the full staffing to handle a bigger crowd.

Thank you, I did put that in and you come with the site F07 or EV3 now if you use either one of them do you know if they will take you to the cruise ship is what I need. We want to pick up at the airport and then in Fort Lauderdale couple days before cruise. I do really appreciate all the help! Thank you!

Thank you, I did put that in and you come with the site F07 or EV3 now if you use either one of them do you know if they will take you to the cruise ship is what I need. We want to pick up at the airport and then in Fort Lauderdale couple days before cruise. I do really appreciate all the help! Thank you!

It's been a few years since I used them but I recall the location being listed twice on Budget's site for some reason.

We've dropped off there several times and gotten a shuttle back to the ship. Last couple times it appeared they only had one shuttle (but as I say it's been a few years) so sometimes it might be a bit of a wait. Last time we had just missed the shuttle and were anxious to get to the pier so grabbed a cap that was in the parking lot for some other reason. Fare to pier was under $10 so we took that rather than waiting as the wait would have been another 20 minutes or so.

It's been a few years since I used them but I recall the location being listed twice on Budget's site for some reason.

We've dropped off there several times and gotten a shuttle back to the ship. Last couple times it appeared they only had one shuttle (but as I say it's been a few years) so sometimes it might be a bit of a wait. Last time we had just missed the shuttle and were anxious to get to the pier so grabbed a cap that was in the parking lot for some other reason. Fare to pier was under $10 so we took that rather than waiting as the wait would have been another 20 minutes or so.

Thank you ....I appreciate all the help!

DO NOT use the airport location. They will not service Port Everglades. The rental location for Budget is 1515 SE 17th St. The shuttle will only go there and not to the airport. Have seen this happen to people who booked at the airport location but the driver says no way. Hope this helps.

Edited by diverward

can you tell me what the location you used for Thrifty or budget that you dropped car off and they would shuttle you to the ship. Thank you!

Thrifty/Dollar (same building) is on Miami Road just outside the Port Everglades terminal gate.

Budget is on 17th Street (Quay area)

Each has a comp. shuttle....we book with who ever has the best rate.

If you belong to Costco...they sometimes offer great rates especially for Budget ;)

DO NOT use the airport location. They will not service Port Everglades. The rental location for Budget is 1515 SE 17th St. The shuttle will only go there and not to the airport. Have seen this happen to people who booked at the airport location but the driver says no way. Hope this helps.

In the past there has been a bus/shuttle run by the airport between the piers and the airport rental car center. However, this appears to be funded by some, but not all, of the rental agencies located at the airport rental car facility. You will have to show the shuttle bus driver proof that you are renting a car from one of the participating agencies to use that shuttle. I do not recall if Budget participates in the shuttle or not as we've only used the 17th St. location when renting from Budget post cruise. But we have used the airport location in the past (a few years back) when renting from Hertz and Avis.

My standing advice on all of this is to call the rental car company, preferably the local office phone number, and confirm that they run shuttles to/from the location you intend to use and to get instructions on whether you need to call for the shuttle when you need pick up from the pier or if it runs automatically.

Edited by Lsimon

• 5 weeks later...

After our Oasis cruise, we are renting from Thrifty.

We'll have 6 adults, 5 kids. Is it possible for 2 adults to go Thrifty to get the cars and come back and pick us up, or would you advise all of us to cab/shuttle together.

Also, if the 2 adults go, can they walk to Thrifty -- they are in good shape, so walking a mile or more is fine.

Thanks!