Help with Delta flights from ATL

Pearl64

I am looking at purchasing a multi destination flight for May 2016. I need to know about connection time and ease with which to connect. We will be purchasing economy ticket but will upgrade with $$$ to economy comfort for the longer flights. We are flying from ATL to VCE on either May 19 or 20. I found a flight that connects in JFK with a connection time of 2.5 hours on the outbound and then onto VCE on a 767-400. The other option is a 6 hr. layover in JFK. I don't think we will need that much time since our luggage will be checked straight through. So is 2.5 hours enough time in JFK?

The second part concerns the inbound flight back to ATL from IST. We hope to leave IST on June 5. There are two choices at the lower price: one flies to AMS on a 737 with a 5 hour layover and the flight to ATL is on an Airbus A300-300(This is operated by KLM); the second choice connects in CDG with a 2 hour connection time. The first leg is on an Airbus 319 an the second leg is on a 777-300ER.This is on Air France. Which flight would be better?

Another question is can that economy ticket be upgraded with miles to business for just the AMS to ATL segment or the CDG to ATL segment? If so, any guess how many? And, would we first pay for the economy comfort part and then miles or just economy and then upgrade to business?

Delta offers the best pricing and connections than the other airlines(American or United). We are saving substantially by flying out of Atlanta as opposed to Charlotte or GSP.

Thanks for all your help as I usually get the information I need here.

Pearl

Assuming your first flight operates on time (or close to it), a domestic to international connection of 2:30 should be fine for JFK. Even if you have to make a transfer between T2 and T4, you have time. OTOH, I would prefer a bit longer on an international to domestic, given that C&I may be backed up at any given time.

The question of which return flight is "better" has a number of factors. IMO, the connect time is fine for either, as you have no immigration at the connection point on either routing. Five may be a bit long, but would allow you time for a sit-down meal at AMS. Note that there is MUCH construction at AMS now, so airport facilities are not as extensive as they used to be. Two hours at CDG with no immigration within T2E should also be fine.

Now we come to equipment. The 737 and 319 are essentially similar. Single aisle with 3-3 seating. The KL flight is most likely on an A330 (as there are very few A330 passenger operators). This has a 2-4-2 seating config, as opposed to the 3-4-3 on the 777. Look at the seat maps on the AF and KL website, along with SeatGuru to get details. See if the inflight amenities are acceptable to you. If in coach, I prefer the 330 as I can get a pair of seats with Mrs FT.

As for upgrading....not easy on code-share metal. In addition, AF has a "premium economy" product that is between economy and business. That throws a wrinkle into any upgrading process. Many details about upgrading on partners/codeshares is obscure or missing from the DL website - I would suggest either a phone call to DL (or several until you get an agent that seems to know something) or some research on FlyerTalk or Milepoint.

Hope that helps some. Write if you have more questions or want extra details.

I have flown on a KLM A330-300 from ATL to AMS in Economy and my traveling companion and I certainly enjoyed having the 2 seats along the side of the plane and not being in a 3 seat configuration.

We were in the same cabin as the Premium Economy and I could really not see the difference between "them" and "us". We had plenty of legroom, service was better than expected (expected only breakfast; was served dinner as well as breakfast; 3-4 beverage services, hot towels 2x, large A-V selection, pleasant and helpful flight attendants), but after about 5-6 hours, my thigh muscles began to complain.

I prefer longer connection times than most. I initially book flights with that purpose in mind. Delta usually has other ideas and regularly changes my schedules, nearly always reducing my connecting times. If it is too uncomfortably close in my opinion, I will call and always get a more suitable time, at least for me.

We were in the same cabin as the Premium Economy and I could really not see the difference between "them" and "us".
Sorry...KLM does NOT offer a "premium economy" product. They have select seats with additional legroom, but it is not PE. That's completely different. For an example, go to the AF website and look at their classes of service. You can clearly see the difference between an economy seat and premium economy, which AF offers.

No USA carrier offers premium economy.

The KL flight is most likely on an A330 (as there are very few A330 passenger operators). This has a 2-4-2 seating config, as opposed to the 3-4-3 on the 777.
For context, the 777 has traditionally been operated as 3-3-3, but there is a current trend towards 3-4-3. Many people (like me) will do almost anything to avoid 3-4-3 on a 777.

Sorry...KLM does NOT offer a "premium economy" product. They have select seats with additional legroom, but it is not PE. That's completely different. For an example, go to the AF website and look at their classes of service. You can clearly see the difference between an economy seat and premium economy, which AF offers.

No USA carrier offers premium economy.

Thanks for the information. Cannot now return to 2013 to see what KLM's web site offered. But, I am almost sure that there was the option of booking Economy Class seats whose designations were whatever that were an upgrade on the A330-300.

Whether my memory is right or wrong, makes no difference absolutely.

KLM Economy Class service, other than seat comfort, matched any First Class service I have had on a US airline and international Business Class service on a US airline.

Just my experience.

KLM Economy Class service, other than seat comfort, matched any First Class service I have had on a US airline and international Business Class service on a US airline.

Just my experience.

All I can say is.....wow.

And just wondering what your domestic first and international business experiences were like. Those must have been pretty bad.

OP,

You cannot use Delta miles to upgrade on either AF or KLM. You can use miles to "purchase" tickets up to J but not First class.

You may want to get clarification from your cruise line on Istanbul. Some cruise lines are rerouting or limiting service to Turkey. If it were me I'd hold off booking until there is some indication of your disembarkation port.

When you book do monitor your flights for time or equipment changes.

KLM Economy Class service.....matched any First Class service I have had on a US airline and international Business Class service on a US airline.

Seriously? LOL. That must have been some horrendous international business class service to find that it was worse than KLM economy. :rolleyes:

Seriously? LOL. That must have been some horrendous international business class service to find that it was worse than KLM economy. :rolleyes:

I have given Flyertalker and you the wrong impression.

Each time I have flown either domestic First Class or international Business, I left the plane satisfied to very satisfied with my experience. My flights were worth the cost either in cash or frequent flier points used.

My positive comments about KLM's Economy service is because my traveling companion and I received much more than we expected. Both of us have flown trans-Atlantic in Economy before, both in US carriers. Our KLM flight was far more pleasant than those previous flights. It was, and in our memory still is, such a pleasant surprise and a fine start to our European cruise.

I have given Flyertalker and you the wrong impression.

Each time I have flown either domestic First Class or international Business, I left the plane satisfied to very satisfied with my experience. My flights were worth the cost either in cash or frequent flier points used.

My positive comments about KLM's Economy service is because my traveling companion and I received much more than we expected. Both of us have flown trans-Atlantic in Economy before, both in US carriers. Our KLM flight was far more pleasant than those previous flights. It was, and in our memory still is, such a pleasant surprise and a fine start to our European cruise.

Fair enough. It sounded like you were saying KLM economy was BETTER, in your experience, than domestic first or international biz on other airlines. ;)