New to Viking and Star re amenities?

DC Gal

The bug spray I used was for my clothing, not me. I sprayed about 15 garments a week prior to sailing. Will last through six washings. Can probably get at travel or sporting gear store. Odorless and does not stain clothing. My fiend used it for an African safari.

Note there are no clocks in the cabin. Can read the time when the tv is on. I have been using my cell phone for alarm clock. Only problem was time change in Corfu when my phone did not change. We woke up late and had to rush to get ready for our excursion.

The bug spray I used was for my clothing, not me. I sprayed about 15 garments a week prior to sailing. Will last through six washings. Can probably get at travel or sporting gear store. Odorless and does not stain clothing. My fiend used it for an African safari.

Note there are no clocks in the cabin. Can read the time when the tv is on. I have been using my cell phone for alarm clock. Only problem was time change in Corfu when my phone did not change. We woke up late and had to rush to get ready for our excursion.

I'm glad to hear the spray works, as I've heard about it but wondered if it really worked! It seems amazing that the smell lingers for such a long time.

Roothy, wow, I've never had that experience with the wipes. Lol! I do carry a couple in my carryon with my meds, but the rest go in our checked luggage, so I think I'd have noticed that. :p. That spray for the clothing sounds effective, but my hubby would not go for that. He won't even let someone put a stainstick on his clothes if he gets a spot when eating, he's so afraid of a reaction to the chemicals. :rolleyes:

Becki

roothy123:

You're a wealth of great info. It's been years since I've cruised so you're helpful suggestions are sincerely appreciated and taking the time out to pass along. Please keep them coming! From all my years in Govt. I have a badge holder that will be perfect for the room pass. I have one from Royal Caribbean but don't want that to be seen - ha-ha.

I am on board now. In a V cabin and no Binoculars. Bring a jacket or sweater as the common areas have been chilly. Laundry facilities have been convenient. I could have brought a lot less clothing with me. I bought spray on bug repelent at my local travel store. Spray stays on clothing for up to six washings. Must be working. I got 3 small bites while in Venice while my friend has bites all over. Especially at night in Venice the mosquitoes were out in full force.

Are the laundry facilities for the guests use to do your own laundry or do they do it for you?

roothy123:

You're a wealth of great info. It's been years since I've cruised so you're helpful suggestions are sincerely appreciated and taking the time out to pass along. Please keep them coming! From all my years in Govt. I have a badge holder that will be perfect for the room pass. I have one from Royal Caribbean but don't want that to be seen - ha-ha.

I'm laughing, because sometimes I think I spout too much info on here - but thanks!

The badge holder sounds perfect. I'm also ex-government (Mint) but never had a badge or holder!

Do you have one of those things that hang around your neck for traveling in airports? We love those to carry boarding passes and whatnot, but they're too big and bulky to wear all the time on the ship.

No shame in having a Royal Caribbean background. My first cruise was on the now defunct Premier Cruise Lines with little twin beds, tiny room, etc. Ship was old and creaky, too. Cruised from NYC to Boston before the AC failed completely and the rest of the cruise was canceled. Better than experiencing a fire like Carnival had yesterday, but still not a great introduction to cruising. But things got better, and now I'm hooked - and willing to share what I know.

Laundry rooms (with irons) are self-service for pax. Detergent's provided.

Edited by roothy123

Are the laundry facilities for the guests use to do your own laundry or do they do it for you?

From the Frequently Asked Questions section of Viking's website:

15. Do you have dry cleaning and laundry facilities?

Dry cleaning and laundry services, including pressing, are available for a fee and may be arranged through your housekeeper. Self-service launderettes including irons and ironing boards are located on Decks 3–6 and are free of charge, including detergent.

I'm laughing, because sometimes I think I spout too much info on here - but thanks!

The badge holder sounds perfect. I'm also ex-government (Mint) but never had a badge or holder!

Do you have one of those things that hang around your neck for traveling in airports? We love those to carry boarding passes and whatnot, but they're too big and bulky to wear all the time on the ship.

No shame in having a Royal Caribbean background. My first cruise was on the now defunct Premier Cruise Lines with little twin beds, tiny room, etc. Ship was old and creaky, too. Cruised from NYC to Boston before the AC failed completely and the rest of the cruise was canceled. Better than experiencing a fire like Carnival had yesterday, but still not a great introduction to cruising. But things got better, and now I'm hooked - and willing to share what I know.

Laundry rooms (with irons) are self-service for pax. Detergent's provided.

Yes, I have the kind of badge holder that goes around my neck from my many years at the State Department. I would always wear that or the Royal Caribbean one around my neck in airports and my family made cruel fun of me, but I never lost my IDs or boarding pass.

That's amazing they have self-service laundry rooms. I can cut back on clothes, but will I? haha I'm glad there is no formal night.

I love details, if you haven't noticed - ha-ha!;)

We do have an ice bucket that is filled each morning and night. You can request ice buckets refills more or less often. Just let your steward know.

There was no ice bucket in our cabin. We had to call room service but after the first time there was an ice bucket and it was filled daily.

There was no ice bucket in our cabin. We had to call room service but after the first time there was an ice bucket and it was filled daily.

The personalized cruise booklet we got says that ice is available 24/7 from room service, so I suppose that's the way to go for people who only want ice once in a while. My husband always wants it, but then it sits unused most of the time. Oh well. I'm sure plenty of people do that.

too bad they don't have ice in hall the way the Longships do!

In the hall? Interesting. I haven't cruised on a longship; don't remember if they had that on the boat I was on. Wouldn't work well on a big ocean liner, though...better to just let people call for it if they want it I think.

DC Gal... Both - Do your own, or have them do it.

Also, depending on category booked, (Explorer Suite and Penthouse Jr, Suite) laundry and dry cleaning are said to be "complimentary".

DC Gal... Both - Do your own, or have them do it.

Also, depending on category booked, (Explorer Suite and Penthouse Jr, Suite) laundry and dry cleaning are said to be "complimentary".

When you do laundry (or ironing) in the laundry rooms, no charge for anyone, soap provided.

• 2 weeks later...
In the hall? Interesting. I haven't cruised on a longship; don't remember if they had that on the boat I was on. Wouldn't work well on a big ocean liner, though...better to just let people call for it if they want it I think.

I agree. We were on the Atla last year and if you wanted ice you asked for it. Or you could go to the bar in the Aquavit Lounge with your ice bucket and ask.

We're currently on star and have a bucket of ice. Only our second day but have ice again today. We are in a deluxe veranda. Having a fabulous time so far. No complaints.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

So glad to hear that your cruise has begun. It has been a long time coming... Looking forward to your review when you get back home.