Ponant

OctoberKat

My travel agent recently sent me a very attractive Ponant brochure aimed, I'm guessing, at the North American market. It profiles a number of intriguing Central and South American itineraries which stand out from the usual offerings. My cruising dance card is fully booked through July 2016 so I'll be considering seriously Ponant sailings in the last half of 2016 through 2017.

I've poked around here at CC but can't locate a sub-category that compiles most Ponant posts under a single heading. I have found and read a scattering of Ponant posts under an overwhelming assortment of other headings. Such that I hope I'm not being rude or repetitive by inquiring here about the Ponant experience. We're interested in learning about the larger suites, service, food, ambience, public areas, amenities and the like. Anything that makes Ponant different or especially excellent. I appreciate the opinions of those who report on their experiences.

I know the ships are smaller than the norm for luxury ships and that's just fine with us.

Thanks for bringing up this topic re: Ponant. I have also been searching for more info on them as they are trying to venture into the North American market.

They have some very interesting and unique itineraries.

I do know that Tauck uses them for a few of their small ship cruises and they supposedly use the best.

Let's keep this thread going...nice to "see" you again OctKat!

To get threads in one place for Ponant, look under "Other Cruise Lines" and then search for Ponant. My search revealed the following: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=76271338

There is also an interesting review of one of their ships: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=578 . Other reviews are available in the Review section of CC.

Cruise Critic also did a review/overview of the cruise line. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=132

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks to Portofonoitaly, Floridiana and Cb-at-sea for your posts here. Appreciate your input. As indicated in my initial post, I've done my homework here and elsewhere yet still seek additional opinions and info. Some of the reviews here at CC are less than stellar so it's possible, I hope, that as Ponant targets the North American market, ships and services may be upgraded, improved and spiffed up.

We are intrigued and attracted to the line precisely because it is not U.S.-centric. That's a big plus for us.

From my view, Ponant's strongest attribute, and one that is close to unique, is their itinerary potential made possible by ship size. I am willing to adjust my requirements for rare itineraries. Although, I hope to have enough advance notice to book into one of the larger suites.

I'll be monitoring Ponant's itinerary announcements hoping for some seductive choices in late 2016 and 2017.

Meanwhile, I welcome posts here on Ponant experiences and thoughts.

I agree Floridiana and I enjoyed your previous review. The "Frenchness" actually appeals to me because most of our cruises appeal to a North American passenger demographic. I hope to find an itinerary that works for us with timing etc.

I had read somewhere when Tauck charters the ship they had changed and cater to North Americans and have hamburgers, etc. and English speaking guides and lecturers.

Regardless, "When In Rome"....Merci !

I had read somewhere when Tauck charters the ship they had changed and cater to North Americans and have hamburgers, etc. and English speaking guides and lecturers.

Regardless, "When In Rome"....Merci !

I am glad you enjoyed my review.

I believe that Tauck brings in their own guide. I checked brochures for different Tauck trips and they always had a "permanent" guide + local guides. And yes, our favorite waiter said that the chef will add "American" items to the menu.