Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

I will be keeping the passengers and crew in my thoughts in prayers. So glad to finally see it on the way! I haven't seen any of this on our news which is a good thing! The media would have been too negative and tried to make CCL out to be bad people. I think they've been great!

We just watched Liberty sail out of St. Thomas on the deck cam feature and what a beautiful sight!!!

Pauleydm, I hope that you and your fellow passengers have a safe and smooth ride tonight and a great time in San Juan. As I'd mentioned in this thread before, I'm on the 9/20 sailing and have been watching this closely. You have given first hand information that was factual and to the point, with no embellishment or even sensationalism. You have basically been our source for updates. I realize Carnival had more on their plate and they also did an awesome job. Thank you again!!!

We just watched Liberty sail out of St. Thomas on the deck cam feature and what a beautiful sight!!!

Pauleydm, I hope that you and your fellow passengers have a safe and smooth ride tonight and a great time in San Juan. As I'd mentioned in this thread before, I'm on the 9/20 sailing and have been watching this closely. You have given first hand information that was factual and to the point, with no embellishment or even sensationalism. You have basically been our source for updates. I realize Carnival had more on their plate and they also did an awesome job. Thank you again!!!

I second this. Thank you for the real time updates. They were direct and factual. It was wonderful. It was hard sitting by watching and not knowing what was happening for yall and for the upcoming sailings. I go on the 20th as well.

I hope you get to enjoy the rest of your vacation! Happy sailing!

I don't believe the would force you to drink of gamble to make back their money. They probably do count on people that will, but forced is a little strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I said "forced to stay on board", not forced to drink and gamble. I guess I should have said "forced to stay on board in the hope that pax would drink and gamble". At that time pax were not being allowed to disembark. At any rate, that was sometime ago and it doesn't matter now.

What does this say? When I enlarge this its a blur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing its this email that was posted a little while ago

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL LIBERTY

SEPTEMBER 13, 2015

September 10, 2015

Hi there!

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Sunday and are anxiously awaiting confirmation we are sailing.

As you may know, while docked in St. Thomas on Monday, Carnival Liberty experienced an engine fire that was extinguished by the ship's automated suppression system. There were no injuries to guests or crew. Guests re-boarded that evening and enjoyed the ship as a floating hotel with all the usual services and amenities.

The U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities have fully completed their assessments and have cleared the Carnival Liberty to sail. We will be leaving St. Thomas this evening and will arrive in San Juan tomorrow morning. Our cruise on Sunday will operate as scheduled with the full itinerary.

Rest assured all hotel services and ship's safety systems are fully functional and the normal array of activities, entertainment, dining options and programming will be offered.

Those of you who have sailed with us before, as well any first time guests can expect to have a FUNtastic time aboard the beautiful Carnival Liberty.

As a reminder, check-in for your cruise is scheduled from 2:30PM-8:30PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, we ask that you please not arrive for check-in prior to 2:30PM.

Captain Catalani and his entire team are looking forward to welcoming you aboard and providing a FUN and memorable cruise.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

I have spent so much time reading this thread all week. Thanks to Pauley for the great updates.

I agree with some of the other posters. Getting to be on the ship with only 1500 passengers for three days is a wonderful "bonus". No lines, the ability to get seats anywhere without much hassle.

Pauley, if you get a chance this weekend, tell us a little about life on the ship with only 1500 passengers. Thanks again for your diligence.

Has any information come out regarding:

A) What caused the fire?

and

B) Whether the ship has been fully repaired or whether she will need to go into dry dock at some point to regain full use of all engines?

Unfortunately, that information has not been provided to us.

pauleydm, congrats on the interview!

I've been thinking about the many seemingly conflicting stories we heard over these past few days about how Carnival would handle this and what would happen tot he guests. As I think about it now, it sounds like Carnival was probably working on multiple plans at the same time, since no one really knew what it would take to get the ship moving again. So it sounds to me like they were working on getting the engine room up and running right there in St Thomas. At the same time, they were probably making plans to tow the ship to a different facility for a longer fix, in case that was needed.

Similarly, they worked on moving the ship to San Juan (an on-again off-again proposition until now when it has finally sailed). But they also worked on getting folks home directly from St Thomas by chartered planes and some other cruise ship or ships for those who will not fly.

These multiple efforts seem to have given them flexibility to respond to the situation as it developed. It's been interesting to watch.

Thanks again to pauleydm who has remained the main source of reliable information! Have fun in San Juan!

Unfortunately, that information has not been provided to us.

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Also, thanks for all your updates! Liberty is my favorite ship, so I've followed all your posts. It has also been really interesting to learn more about how CCL handles a situation like this.

Edited by EdmundXXIII

Well that was fun. Just finished a phone interview with Gerry Yandel from the Virgin Islands Daily News.

Cool! You're a celebrity now!!!

Did you ever get to meet the Carnival President? JH said she was going to look for you I think...