What's the strangest thing you've seen or heard on pool deck?

RCCLNYMETS41

Oh Gawd!!! :eek:

I think spouse dying in hot tub wins it, but unfortunately if I had seen that, it would do a lot more than just ruin my cruise. I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head.

That event was about 80+ cruises ago, seen much, heard lots etc in the intervening years, but that image will remain with me for as long as I have any memory at all.

Older man (would never make centerfold in Stud Muffin Monthly ;)) sitting around the pool in his shorts & t-shirt decides to go swimming. In his clothes.

Ewww.

When finished, he climbs out of the pool, removes his shorts, and stands there in his tighty-whities wringing them out in the pool!

Let's have some fun...

What's the strangest thing you've seen or heard on pool deck?

If you have a picture to share, that's a bonus point for you.

Our most recent cruise on the Carnival Magic, there was one particular female passenger who was so intoxicated she could barely walk. She was at the same excursion we were at during the day, so there was no doubt she was drunk. Somehow she made it back to the ship, and sat next to an elderly couple in the loungers on the lido deck. Not soon after she started putting her legs behind her head and started making very vulgar, sexual gestures to the elderly couple in the lounge chair next to her. (mind you she was in a swimsuit at the time) We have taken several cruises with my daughter, and thankfully she was busy playing at the waterpark, while this train wreck was going on.

I'm in the pool when I observe an older heavyset woman entering the pool. I then realize that she is wearing an adult diaper under her bathing suit. The diaper is FULL. I quickly got out and notified the pool attendants. They had trouble getting her out of the pool as she seemed to be confused. A sorry situation.

I don't normally hang out by the pool but I do go there for the food on deck. So DH and I are walking to our table with our burgers and we overhear this woman complaining loudly about the disruptive passengers in the pool. About a minute later I hear our friend yell "who let the dogs out?". I told DH, just keep walking LOL.

Years ago I was sitting at a table people watching. I look at this one lady and think to myself "wow, if I had those hips I'm not sure I would wear that bikini". Then I thought, well that wasn't nice. About a minute later this stranger asked if I would mind if he shared my table. No problem. He looks at the same woman and says "wow, if I was her I wouldn't wear that bikini with those hips!". I about fell out of my chair.

Most interesting was probably the crossing the equator party, you realize how many people are on a ship when they all pack onto the pool deck. Then the cruise director comes out dressed like King Neptune and makes volunteer guests kiss a dead fish and then jump in the pool lol

ImageUploadedByForums1442015763.695457.jpg.8d0f25ef01762ee459cb5d2a6d806518.jpg

Most interesting was probably the crossing the equator party, you realize how many people are on a ship when they all pack onto the pool deck. Then the cruise director comes out dressed like King Neptune and makes volunteer guests kiss a dead fish and then jump in the pool lol

[ATTACH]362316[/ATTACH]

Wow - I (don't sail much and) have never heard of that. Are "equator parties" a standard thing (with the King Neptune gig and all)? Sounds pretty Animal-House-ish to me (hmm, thank gawd it's not a dead horse then)!

Wow - I (don't sail much and) have never heard of that. Are "equator parties" a standard thing (with the King Neptune gig and all)? Sounds pretty Animal-House-ish to me (hmm, thank gawd it's not a dead horse then)!

The tradition is a very old one; in books I have about old liner lore there are pictures of this ceremony being enjoyed-- or endured-- by very well-heeled passengers of the 1920's and 1930's. And I'm pretty sure the tradition dates back to naval vessels of the 19th century...I expect former navy sailors, of whatever nation, may be able to fill in more details on my fuzzy memory.

Most ships do it.

If you don't wish to participate, you certainly will not be forced but it is a long held and fun tradition.

Makes an AWFUL mess. !! :D

Edited by sail7seas

More than you ever wanted to know! (Courtesy of wikipedia...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

I trust any such ceremony performed aboard a passenger ship was a mighty pale facsimile of the often-brutal hazing rituals described in the article, which deals with naval traditions.

Line-crossing entry. Jaysus, Wikipedia has virtually everything! Thanks; that was a great read and interesting education too. And here I thought I was all-knowing/seeing after I was immersed in my first baked Alaska parade on the EPpy in July...! Thanks here too jeph for expanding my ship-info horizons.

I'm sure someone out there in Cruiseland remembers this story and saw me being "walked home" through pool deck!

We usually visit martini bar nightly before dinner. DH is a frequent "dirty" martini drinker...nothing fancy. I usually stick to wine or common well drinks. Never get really drunk or have hangovers.

At martini bar one night DH suggests I try a chocolate raspberry martini. They had some type of sale on large ones.

He's sipping his martini and turns around and sees that I finished mine quickly (delicious). I'm raving that I love these. Order a second one. DH tells me to sip is slowly because they'll catch up with me.

We head to specialty restaurant and order lobster tails. Before the food arrives, my head is falling forward/falling asleep at table. DH trying to keep me awake.

The lobster tails arrive. I go to cut it and it flies across the room...EMBARRASSING. They bring a replacement...I'm still half dozing so DH eats some of it and almost carried me back to cabin.

No more martinis for me!

Edited by tbmrt
change

Most ships do it.

If you don't wish to participate, you certainly will not be forced but it is a long held and fun tradition.

Makes an AWFUL mess. !! :D

It was a lot of fun to watch, and everyone who participated was definitely a volunteer. And even though only a few guests actually did the initiation, we all got a certificate at the end of the cruise saying we were now trusty shellbacks :)

My mom, sister, and aunt and I were aboard Ruby Princess for a 5 day cruise. First day we see a mid 50's woman in middle of the pool deck dancing her face off. Mind you it wasn't sail away and there weren't any activities going on. We ended up affectionately naming her Boozin Susan. She was at every event we went to and she was absolutely 3 sheets to the wind drunk each time. She partied hard and I was the most impressed. She ended up meeting a man who we affectionately referred to as drunken Judas ( long brown hair and really tan- you had to see him to know why we called him that ) and they would "dance" together. His dance moves consisted of Michael Jackson style tributes and were repeated with each song that was played (even to a slow Whitney Houston ballad). He was also constantly drinking.

At one point at the 70s party- Boozin almost fell in the pool in her formal attire and an officer caught her at the very last minute. You could hear the whole top deck gasp right before they caught her!! Boozin and Judas were the highlight of our cruise :)

As long as they did not harass or bother others around them, good luck to Boozin Susan having a great time. Not my style or something I would do but if all she did was dance and drink and amuse others, where is the harm? It's a cruise ship...... happy she had fun (as long as she dd not impede others' enjoyment.) :)

She actually 'gets it'. She doesn't seem to take herself seriously, she's on an escape from her routine and real life.......... party hearty if it is safe and harmless to others, if that is what you like to do. :D

Edited by sail7seas