Did You Get Sick on the 8/22/15 Oasis Cruise

Snookum

Just wondering if anyone got ill from this cruise. It had to change ports because of the hurricane and we ended up at two different ports in Mexico....don't like Mexico....was disappointed. On day I landed at home airport became ill for a week. Just wondered if anyone else did. I did and my son's girlfriend did also. Both our doctors think we caught something on the trip.

Just wondering if anyone got ill from this cruise. It had to change ports because of the hurricane and we ended up at two different ports in Mexico....don't like Mexico....was disappointed. On day I landed at home airport became ill for a week. Just wondered if anyone else did. I did and my son's girlfriend did also. Both our doctors think we caught something on the trip.

Statistically speaking, it is FAR (HUGELY, MONUMENTALLY, ENORMOUSLY) more likely that you picked up something on the airplane.

Blame the airplane not Oasis or Mexico.

Did you eat fresh fruit or veggies in Mexico? Or drink anything with ice? Lots of possible issues and places (Mexico, airplane, ship, other ports, other people in any of those places.) But if you suspect Mexico, think about what you ate/drank. Ecoli is pretty common

I disagree that the OP go sick on the airplane. There is no way one would start feeling the effects within just a few hours of being exposed since they mentioned they started feeling ill as soon as they landed at their home airport.

With that being said....I was on the 8/15 sailing, and my son had become sick on day 5 and I started feeling that initial throat soreness on the evening of day 7. I was so sick (think classic head and chest cold symptoms) and had to take an extra 2 days off work (not necessarily a bad thing). Anyway, I felt awful and it took well over a week to get rid of the cough.

I'm positive my son picked up something from the kids club and I then got it from him. Not a huge surprise, it happens!

I disagree that the OP go sick on the airplane. There is no way one would start feeling the effects within just a few hours of being exposed since they mentioned they started feeling ill as soon as they landed at their home airport.

Agreed, but it could have been the flight TO the cruise. I was also on a cruise 8/22/15, not Oasis but Adventure, and felt sick the day after we got home. We did NOT go to Mexico. I am nearly obsessive about hand washing, so of course I am blaming it on the flight to San Juan.

The body can produce interferon, which actually in itself makes you feel sick. Actually when you feel sick it's the interferon making 'feel' ill even in the absence of a legitimate or 'real' threat of infection to the body. For example, the way that some people get the 'flu' after having the flu vaccine. Most scientist now acknowledge that all of the feeling of being ill with the flu is a result of interferon.

Interferons are essentially a signal to the rest of the body and are usually the very first signs of infection. This would suggest that feeling ill can precede the actual infection taking hold by a good number of hours.

I was on the 8/22 Oasis Cruise and no one in our party (4 of us) got sick. Stating that, we made sure that we were washing our hands often at the standalone Purell dispensers throughout the ship. Everyone entering the Windjammer was required to get their "squirt" of hand sanitizer.

Edited by FamilyOreoTreats

Snookum, it might be easier to get an answer to your question if you are a little more specific. Are you asking if others got a gastro, a cold, a flu, some weird virus?

My DH got a flu at the end of a 12 day cruise, as did many of the people we spent time with on the cruise. It takes one person to pass it along. Air borne illness is a little different than passing gastro, but frequently a food borne illness can be pass person to person (fecal/oral), that's how gastro runs through a family.

Did you eat fresh fruit or veggies in Mexico? Or drink anything with ice? Lots of possible issues and places (Mexico, airplane, ship, other ports, other people in any of those places.) But if you suspect Mexico, think about what you ate/drank. Ecoli is pretty common

I was thinking this. I went to Cancun in '97. I avoided drinking the water, but all my drinks had ice and I have a tendency to chew ice :D. The day I was leaving Cancun to come back home I started having stomach issues. That evening I was down for the count. I was sick for about 3 days.

In any event, I hope the OP is feeling better now.