1st time European Cruise

scottandclaire

We would like to see Europe, but I have been told that we should do a European cruise first. Can I get some help on where to start, what to see??? Yikes! We are wanting to go during the kids' Spring Break which is March 25-Apr 1, 2016. This would be around the winter season and the rates should be at the lowest the way that I have been reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

To tell you the truth, a Mediterranean cruise in March is not like a Caribbean cruise. It is colder and windier. Cruising is a convenient way to see some ports but not the cheapest and best way to see "Europe".

Which country are you interested in? Spain? Italy? Greece? For me one week wouldn't be worth the cost of flights for 4 (?) people. But if you plan to go ahead, start with finding out what flights cost to Rome or Barcelona to get an idea.

A cruise is sort of a sampler for Europe. You can get a quick visit to several of the major cities, but not time to see them in depth. At a minimum, if you are to cruise, be sure to stay a few days in the start and end port before and after the cruise.

Another choice is a river cruise.

Our first "taste" of Europe was an April 10-day cruise. We were lucky with beautiful weather, spring flowers, masses of azaleas on Rome's Spanish Steps. It gave us the deep desire to return, and we have.

One week is not very long, and your ports will be limited, weather niot necessarily great. But I think, to me, getting that first sampling is WORTH IT! Bundle up on board, if you must go in March, and enjoy wandering those famous places.

We would like to see Europe, but I have been told that we should do a European cruise first.

Who told you this? Sincerely asking. Whoever said that was offering you an opinion, as all of us are. :)

Can I get some help on where to start, what to see??? Yikes! We are wanting to go during the kids' Spring Break which is March 25-Apr 1, 2016.

I agree with those who said a week in Europe is nowhere near long enough. We went for almost 3 weeks, with a few days before and after our 11 night cruise. Obviously flights are expensive and since we were already there, we wanted to make the most of it and stay as long as possible. Yes, it was expensive and the trip of a lifetime... I think most European destinations are.

I did a quick search for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity (our favorite lines), and Carnival there are no weekly European cruises in March. It's too early in the year. I suspect many of the other lines are the same.

Since you have the week, I would suggest a Caribbean cruise from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Your flights will be less expensive and there are many cruises to choose from. Of course, it is Spring Break and any ship will be crowded - but that's the price to pay during this busy time.

My advice is to make use of a travel agent in your area who specializes in cruises. S/he will help you get started.

If all you have is a week, I wouldn't recommend a cruise. Instead, look for a trip (either planned on your own, with a travel professional or on a tour) that focuses maybe on 2-3 cities within a single country.

For example, you could consider Rome, Venice, and Florence. Or, base yourselves somewhere like Paris or London for a week and do some daytrips.

Average temps in late March in places like Rome and Barcelona are around 65 F during the day and 45 at night. Of course, it could be warmer or cooler than that. (And Europe is a big place, so cities farther north will be cooler and those farther south will be warmer, just like in the US.) On the plus side, it will be much less crowded than in the peak summer months.

Edited by cruisemom42

A Med cruise is a nice way to get a start in Europe. You have the security of knowing where you will sleep and eat and no worries for travel from place to place. Also, you unpack once.

Carnival has a brand new ship (Carnival Vista) that will spend it's first season after launch in the Med. Itineraries do not start until May 2016. Pricing is very aggressive/attractive for families.

Norwegian, MSC, and Costa offer March, April (brrrrrr) cruises in the Med.

Do lots of research, make your choice and have a great cruise! :)

Welcome to cruise critic. We are glad to help you, so don't get turned off from the negative replies (including mine). I am doing my 5th cruise in Europe next year and I love cruising in Europe, but I would never bother with a shorter cruise. We usually take 12 - 14 day cruises and stay in the embarkation and debarkation cities for a few days each.

Since you mentioned that March might be less expensive it sounds like you are on a budget. I would start by checking the airfare. Then do a mini budget. Start with a hotel night in your embarkation city (you should always go a day early to get adjusted to the time change and to lesson the odds of missing the ship). Transportation to/from hotel to ship to airport. You also may not realize this but this is not like a hotel where you can get a room for one price. You have to pay per person, and you will probably want 2 cabins since they are very small, although I am always fine with an inside cabin on a Europe cruise. For a quick budget, speak to a travel agent.

A large expense in the Med is excursions. Many of the sites you want to see are not near the port. Excursions can be very expensive. Count on at least a few days where your excursions will be over $100 a person. Other days you will spend a little less but there is still an expense in the ports.

Everyone will need a few days to adjust to the time difference when you get back.

In summary, cruising is a great way to see Europe, but I do not think it is worth it for a 7 day cruise with 4 people. In fact with flight time you are probably looking at 10 days and that may not work for spring break.

Most of Europe will be celebrating Easter over the weekend you mention, so be aware that places will be closed and children on holiday. The Monday will probably be a Bank Holiday, as will Good Friday, March 25th.

It may mean that some ships such as Costa and MSC will have special cruises seeing as children will be off school.