Carrying wine on board - Royal Carribean ex Sydney

Aus ATC

Has anyone had experience carrying wine on board when embarking in Sydney (Circular Quay)?

The reason I ask is that on embarking our last cruise (Legend OTS in June) I vaguely recall a sign near the security check point saying that alcohol could not be taken on board - it was not a Royal Carribean sign, but Sydney Ports (or similar). I'm wondering if there is a restriction at Sydney by the port authority - even though the cruise line allows it.

I didn't pay too much attention as it didn't apply to us that time, but we are doing another cruise with Royal early next year and will probably want to take 4 bottles (for 2 cabins) with us - either in carry on or checked luggage.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by Aus ATC

Yes, we took 2 bottles each on Legend in June.

They immediately asked us if we were in the same stateroom.

We were in 2 staterooms, like you.

They seemed to be much stricter than all of my previous cruises.

We have previously brought more on board, from the ports, but it was confiscated this time.

And returned the last night, of course.

Took 6-9 bottles on board HAL's Oosterdam, on each of the 3 cruises we took on that ship out of the Overseas Terminal (they let you take more on HAL and Princess ship's, just have to pay corkage), absolutely no problem with the local Terminal staff. Especially as we had them in boxes and were quite conspicuous.

Had the drinks package on our Celebrity cruises so didn't have to look like a mobile bottle shop :D

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean ruiles

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00.

Royal Caribbean ruiles

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00.

The corkage fee was dropped earlier this year, windsor26.

I took 2 bottles aboard rhapsody in April this year. No issues at all.

There is a bottle shop in circular quay near the McDonalds. It's not cheap but very handy.

Thanks for the information about the bottle shop. We are flying in our departure day from Melbourne and I was debating on bringing the wine on the domestic flight in our luggage (disaster waiting to happen) or hunting around Sydney for a bottle shop. Buying in Sydney is a lot better option.

I didn't pay too much attention as it didn't apply to us that time, but we are doing another cruise with Royal early next year and will probably want to take 4 bottles (for 2 cabins) with us - either in carry on or checked luggage.

Thanks for any information.

Don't put it in your checked in luggage. You must take it in your carry on. You will be called to the Naughty Room if you check it in and leave yourself open to it being confiscated (handed back to you on the last night).

I am looking forward to our upcoming Princess cruises where we intend to take on a case of wine and just pay the corkage. This way we at least have the option of drinking wine we like. We will then revert back to Royal and just cop the rubbish they serve at ridiculous prices:rolleyes:.

I look forward to the day they go the same ways as Regent, Silverseas, etc and just include the alcohol and gratuities in the price of the ticket. It is bliss not having to hand over your card every time you want a drink. I also kind of like the bottles of Baileys and Kahlua at the ice-cream stand to pour over one's rather large ice-cream - all complimentary:)

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Di

Don't put it in your checked in luggage. You must take it in your carry on. You will be called to the Naughty Room if you check it in and leave yourself open to it being confiscated (handed back to you on the last night).

I am looking forward to our upcoming Princess cruises where we intend to take on a case of wine and just pay the corkage. This way we at least have the option of drinking wine we like. We will then revert back to Royal and just cop the rubbish they serve at ridiculous prices:rolleyes:.

I look forward to the day they go the same ways as Regent, Silverseas, etc and just include the alcohol and gratuities in the price of the ticket. It is bliss not having to hand over your card every time you want a drink. I also kind of like the bottles of Baileys and Kahlua at the ice-cream stand to pour over one's rather large ice-cream - all complimentary:)

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Di

Hi Di,

The Marlborough cooler bag did the trick again at our stop in Phuket:):cool::p

Hugh

I hope you are correct I got the cut and pate from the web site this morning

I think I may contact RCI direct and ask them again :D:D

Windor26, I replied to your other thread regarding this, we carried on two bottles of wine on the Radiance recently, consumed in the dining room, no corkage applied.

Check recent threads on the RCI main board discussing the changes.

Chez

Disregard the port autnority sign. Royal allows 2 bottles of wine (not spirits) per cabin to take on board at the point of embarkation.

Can these bottles be consumed in the dining room without corkage? Read that corkage charge had been removed a while back but it's a bit unclear last time I checked Royal's doco on the subject.

Anyone had trouble with this recently?

*** Sorry, scratch that. I should read all of the thread first before asking silly questions!!

Edited by Hazydavo

I had no problems in January taking my wine into the dining room and I didn't pay corkage.

Here is a link confirming:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&wuc=AUS

Great, thanks for that. There it is in black and white :)

I had no problems in January taking my wine into the dining room and I didn't pay corkage.

Here is a link confirming:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&wuc=AUS

Hey aussiedisneyfan, looks like you're on Explorer for the sampler just before we take her for a spin around NZ. Make sure she's still in great shape and spick and span for us will ya :D

message today from RCI

Please be advised effective immediately, guests wishing to bring personal

wine or champagne onboard with them on boarding day may do so. Bottles are

limited to two (2) 750ml bottles (no boxes) per stateroom. Bottles are not

subject to a corkage fee. Wine may be consumed in any shipboard restaurant,

dining venue, or within the guests' stateroom.

Excellent news:D:D:D